Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[A WORD ABOUT] CHEATING

Thank you very much, for the invitations. At present, I play on Hotseat twice a week with my brother. I play on Iron otherwise; I agree the AI becomes predictable. AI attacks? It is like they use Japanese Banzai Attacks. I use two military YouTube Channels for my references if I quote tactics.

I dunno, Chuckey. You sound pretty serious to me. Serious business, fo sho!

Like I said, just let me know if you want a PBEM game or two. That's where the fun is at in CM, no joke. Playing real, human opponents, in honest tests of skill, rather than armchair quarterbacking past battles and tactics. BFC has given us a sandbox with the CM titles. It's up to us how we use it. :cool:

I dunno, Chuckey. You sound pretty serious to me. Serious business, fo sho!

Like I said, just let me know if you want a PBEM game or two. That's where the fun is at in CM, no joke. Playing real, human opponents, in honest tests of skill, rather than armchair quarterbacking past battles and tactics. BFC has given us a sandbox with the CM titles. It's up to us how we use it. :cool:

Not for the time being, I have a lot to learn about editing. That's where the intel of the experienced players comes from. Test, and test some more. I have come to realize I have been scratching only the surface of the game. Play two moves make a model in the editor and test how to break the FOW. I play Hotseat in my house with my brother once a week. But I have ignored the editor for too long. It is like shooting explain it in 5 minutes and a lifetime of practice. Kind regards

Not for the time being, I have a lot to learn about editing. That's where the intel of the experienced players comes from. Test, and test some more. I have come to realize I have been scratching only the surface of the game. Play two moves make a model in the editor and test how to break the FOW. I play Hotseat in my house with my brother once a week. But I have ignored the editor for too long. It is like shooting explain it in 5 minutes and a lifetime of practice. Kind regards

Your editing is exceptional, sir. Give your brother my regards. ;-)

I'm not offering you an edit. I'm offering you some actual games against an actual human opponent. This isn't the BFC forums. We play for real here.

Last edited:

Imo you'll learn much more playing PBEMs compared to testing stuff with the editor. Best way to learn is to make mistakes and fail, find out what works and doesn't work. Losing a couple of times is the quickest road to gain experience and probably the best experience. The editor is good when you want to create battles and stuff. The only negative of playing PBEMs is that it will make playing against the AI feel less interesting.

Imo you'll learn much more playing PBEMs compared to testing stuff with the editor. Best way to learn is to make mistakes and fail, find out what works and doesn't work. Losing a couple of times is the quickest road to gain experience and probably the best experience. The editor is good when you want to create battles and stuff. The only negative of playing PBEMs is that it will make playing against the AI feel less interesting.
Are you serious? I start a PBEM game, agree on a turn a day after turn 1 I load the game in the editor and have all the time in the world to do a map recon and test where I am the most vulnerable. Your weapon is your PC

You'd think after 20-25 years they would have a competent AI opponent. You'd think if they have a military version of the game, it was once upon said they did work for Uncle to provide a tactical training sim (Shock Force) to the military, they maybe could sneak some better AI into the commercial release. God knows they have not spent their time improving the graphics engine or the DRM/update system...or the survivability of half-track MG operators...
The AI is competent enough to play test a scenario you've made (I'm guessing) or train up when you've bought the game but, you're right, it's fairly shite and I just can't even contemplate playing against the AI any more. Having said that, the same is true for any game I try nowadays, I'd only contemplate buying one if it were for P2P.

Are you serious? I start a PBEM game, agree on a turn a day after turn 1 I load the game in the editor and have all the time in the world to do a map recon and test where I am the most vulnerable. Your weapon is your PC

Yes I was serious. A good map recon to find key terrain, possible routes of attack, etc, is an important part of CM (not in editor, but during setup or preview if a QB).
Don't think that anyone replicates their planned setup in an editor and than game it out to test where they are most vulnerable. It won't tell you about the enemies plans anyway, so I doubt the value you will get out of it. Plus it seems rather tedious / not fun / not worth the effort.
It's a game for entertainment after all. And like @Meat Grinder said, PBEMs are great fun!
Like you said before, the AI is limited and won't really give you a challenge if the AI is attacking. Defending against a human player is much more dynamic and fun.

Due to corona I've more time at home and play a lot more PBEMs since (although I did play before, but mainly just one or max two ongoing against longtime opponents). If I didn't have a lot of work on my mind I'd probably be playing another couple of battles.

If my PBEM basket wasn't quite full ATM, I'd offer you a battle where I attack and you can go in the editor and test your vulnerabilities all you like. However, I saw Meat Grinder offered you a battle already. I don't think he would really care if you load it in the editor all day long.
So my honest advice as you seem to be enjoying the games: try it out. Play a PBEM and have fun. It would be unfortunate if you miss out on some of the best parts of these games, because you assume some things about how looking at the editor will make it unfair or whatever.

PS Your brain is your weapon in CM! ;-)

@Lethaface It is Ok I just think I am not ready yet. I play Hotseat against my brother and look at playing PBEM with him too. I pick up plenty of advice about editing here and like to learn more about it. Tot ziens en beste wensen.

@Lethaface It is Ok I just think I am not ready yet. I play Hotseat against my brother and look at playing PBEM with him too. I pick up plenty of advice about editing here and like to learn more about it. Tot ziens en beste wensen.
Work at your own pace ChuckDyke. But this whole club is founded on being honorable and fair PBEM opponents and the camaraderie gained from that, so avail yourself of that in your own due time. But do avail yourself of it, it's a great experience.

Work at your own pace ChuckDyke. But this whole club is founded on being honorable and fair PBEM opponents and the camaraderie gained from that, so avail yourself of that in your own due time. But do avail yourself of it, it's a great experience.

Best way is just dive into the deep end of the PBEM pool and learn by getting your ass kicked :)

I agree. More experience brings a learning process. It is important to understand the units/ vehicles and support of each era covered in the games. Modern games are quite a bit quicker and more lethal in many respects.
I watch CM videos on YouTube quite often. A lot of good information.

From one dutchie to another @ChuckDyke : go for it! I just joined this forum a week or so ago, found a few players within 2 days and am getting my ass kicked but loving it by just about all of them. :LOL:

PBEM allows for some (ok, unrealistic but still fun) deep thinking, checking and double-checking and plans. I've never put so much effort into every turn nor caared so much for each and every one of my pixeltruppen untill paying humans in PBEM (and i have played CMx a lot 10 years ago). Every turn is a mix of fear (what develish things has my oppo brought on me THIS time?) and fun, especially when you see a plan you worked out come together.

Long story short: pick somebody to play with, and try it. You can do it together with your brother, planning and scheming together against the same opponent. I think that's likely even more fun then playing hotseat against each other. I wish I had somebody to do that with! (y)

Ummm, Doug, this might be counterproductive in getting ChuckDyke to commit to a PBEM....

Well, at least he is forthright in outing his personality before the mayhem begins. But you are right: more likely to scare an opponent off.!

Back