Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Advanced Tactics Gold - World War 1 Style

nathangun and are playing a Advanced Tactics random campaign where we set limits on the kit you can buy and research to World War 1 era technology ... limited to trains, horses, cavalry and marching infantry and towed artillery - limiting air power to level 1 fighters (no bombers or fighter bombers) ... only light tanks, no trucks, armoured cars.

Interesting change of pace ... so far we're still building up our forces at the front and have had some opening engagements ... too early to see where this is going.
Early lessons so far ... you can't have enough trains :)

Nope, only large scale game I am currently (trying) to play is Decisive Campaign: Warsaw to Paris.

Will have a look at Advanced Tactics though.

And I am contemplating War in the East.

Would an Anglo-Boer War / Russo-Japanese / Balkan Wars campaign be possible ?

My WW1-style campaign against nathangun is progressing well and the proper battles have begun after the initial skirmishes and so far my plan is working well :D

My side is the "Eastern Empire" with Russian peoples ... nathangun is commanding Imperial Kyoto with Japanese peoples (I think that gives his infantry higher morale and staying power and he could build kamikazes if we were doing WW2 era battles) -- see earlier post for limitations we set on equipment.

Here is the zoomed out strategic map -- the map is mirrored -- we both have a capital city (situated at the far end of the maps on that tongue of land) ... and 4 towns/produtcion centres plus a scattering of resource hexes for ore and oil production -- some of it on the off-shore islands in the NW and SE corners of the map respectively. My Eastern Empire covers the earstern half of the map, nathangun's country the west.
The front is bisected in the middle by two swampy areas from which the two major rivers flow.
AT0screen001.jpg

A closer look at the front after about a dozen turns into the campaign.... at the start of my latest turn when my offensive properly got going:

AT0screen002.jpg

My plan was to hold with my right (but apply steady pressure NW of the swamps with three divisions of my 2nd Army with cavalry covering the coastal flank and have engineers expand the rail network in the area (orange arrows)
Aerial recce has picked up a line of fortifications being built by enemy engineers behind their front (white dotted line) ... and I assume nathangun intendes to withdraw into that line once it is completed.

AT0screen002b.jpg

On the SE front, my plan was to lure nathangun's forces towards the coast with an aggressive cavalry sweep and my 1st Guards Division (counters with red edge) -- (purple arrow) ... while leaving a deliberate gap to the left of that advance to entice enemy troops to exploit (which they did to a degree -- blue dotted arrows)
While this was happening, I concentrated my attack force in the area of the yellow circle with the intent of punching hard in a SW direction to cut his supply railways and isolate the town and production centre of Bandai (black square) and hopefully isolate his entire right flank army.

AT0screen003b.jpg

The above map is closer look showing the directions of attack ... an attack by the 1st GuardsDivision to cut off the retreat of the enemy units in the salient and the concentric attacks by 100th Division (green) and an independent Mounted Infantry brigade to eliminate the cut off units.
Meanwhile, 1st Division (yellow) and 4th Division (orange) attack in a S and SW direction through the already weakened lines with help of their divisional artillery units.
I have also brought up by rail an independent artillery regt to help the 100th Divisions southerly attack towards Bandai town itself.

All attacks are successful ...

AT0screen004.jpg

We've eliminated the salient, and punched a hole clean through the enemy's lines west of Bandai town, cutting all rail and supply communications for the enemy's entire left wing.

I am hoping that he doesn't have too many reserves to the west of the breakthrough area (so far that area has been out of aerial recce range) ... I need to use the 4th Division (orange) to face NW to hold off any relief operations from that direction, 1st Division (yellow) to go hell for leather to complete the encirclement and 100th Division (green) together with the independent artillery regt to hit at Bandai town directly, to prevent him from using it as a supply source.

My guess he might pull his easterly units back into Bandai to create a siege situation to tie me down ... let's see how fast he can move before his units run out of supply.

Also hoping that if I inflict heavy enough infantry casualties on the enemy forces on the right, he may have to thin out his forces holding the other flank and importantly the fortification line, so that I can perhaps go on the offensive there too.

This campaign has so far been fun ... especially since from the start I began building proper "divisional units" of 3 Infantry regiments (of mainly rifle & MG units) and a divisional HQ units with a proper Staff complement, horses for transport and at least 2 artillery units in each.
I kept the cavalry and engineers under Supreme HQ command and later built two army HQ's which I had too few rail units for initially, but they should come into action in next few turns.

daisy

Great report, you certainly have smashed your way into nathangun's lines !

Question for you, Rico
Can one purchases Advanced Tactics WWII and update it too
Advanced Tactics Gold?
They look allot alike, was wondering which one of the two, one should purchases first.

:")
LH

Question for you, Rico
Can one purchases Advanced Tactics WWII and update it too
Advanced Tactics Gold?
They look allot alike, was wondering which one of the two, one should purchases first.

:")
LH

Purchase Advanced tactics Gold ... Gold is an upgrade of WW2 version and includes most of the ATWW2 features ... no need to buy it.
Just get Gold.

I may, thinking about it...no promises.
I will purchase a game as a Christmas present to myself...Ho Ho.

A quick update ... turns have been slow in coming as nathangun's been working long hours lately.

An overview a couple of turns after the latest update at the opening of my turn:

AT0screen006-1.jpg

In the north, nathangun's cavalry counterattack (grey arrow) and isolate 14th Cossack Brigade on the coast, while his cut off forces in his right wing withdraw into a pocket around the town of Bandai and prepare for a siege. (he is probably going to use Bandai as a supply source).
My 1st Army's breakthrough forces widen the breach and isolate Bandai ... the 1st Guards Division and the cavalry swinging around the south of the pocket.
At this stage there seems to be a yawning gap to be exploited on the enemy's southern flank.

An overview of my turn...

AT0screen007.jpg

The 1st and 9th Cossack brigades (black arrows) go hell for leather for the hills and the ore mines on the southern edge of the map. Aerial recce has spotted a small cavalry screen and an HQ unit defending the mines ... no further details yet. My plan is keep going as hard as I can to prevent nathangun rallying any defences at those hills.
1st Guards Division (red arrows) seals the pocket off from the east and also attacks and captures enemy fortifications covering the east of Bandai -- losses to the Guards are quite heavy.
Meanwhile 1st Division (yellow) seals of Bandai from the west, while 100th Division pulls out two regiments for replenishment to prepare for the assault on the town itself. All available divisional and army artillery are in the meantime hammering the town itself to soften it up for the final assault.
4th Division (oragnge) is at the same time is widening the breach towards the river line and maybe even capture the bridge intact. (see below)

AT0screen009-1.jpg

I have also added horses to some infantry units to create mounted infantry brigades -- and we see here the 1st Mounted Brigade dashing forward to cover the widening gap between 4th Division and the Cossacks in the far south.
(the mounted infantry are slightly more mobile than the footsloggers, but not nearly as nimble as the cavalry units -- but do have more staying power in s stand up fight)

I also have an engineer unit toiling away at building a railway line to bypass the Bandai siege lines (black dotted) and allow me to keep my southern wing supplied.

Back