Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Advanced Tactics - Rico vs Nathangun

Kicked off a game of this vs @Nathangun over the festive season ... it's been an interesting contest.

Set it up with 2 human players and 2 AI-controlled nations just for flavour.

The AI's were at the west and east ends of the map respectively, with Nathangun's regime in the north and mine in the south.

Nathangun has the Old Imperium with "German" peoples, mine is the Middle Kingdom with "Chinese" peoples ... the western AI being "British", the eastern "Arab."
We started at our capital cities and the land and resource grab began and the AI's were quite sluggish at it and I managed to expand aggressively to the west, potentially vastly overstretching the territory I needed to control, but managing to capture a lot of resources... but in an odd twist, the AI's are not their usual aggressive nature at all and have not declared war -- leaving us to fight ourselves, with myself maintaining a holding front on the west (red dotted line) holding my breath ... (see map below -- yellow star, my capital, white star Nathangun's capital city)

nathan-rico-002b.jpg~original

Once hostilities began, I was focusing my efforts on the SE front, but launched a diversionary attack in the north, where Nathangun had advanced spearhead units beyond the northern lake, grabbing oil wells there -- turns out that the enemy units were relatively weak and I managed to develop that attack quite well through the hills and forests and now am threatening his capital and having just captured a major city, Rittersdorf.
(yellow arrows)
Having managed to grab more resources by now, I am managing to maintain an advantage as I don't need to fight any of the AI's and can focus on Nathangun's forces. (if the western AI decides to declare war and attack, I may be in deep doo-doo.)

nathan-rico-001.jpg~original

Meanwhile, on the central lake, the Lake Flotilla's cruiser MKS Golden Fist is bombarding Wendelstein, hoping to cause some damage and loss of resource points.

Down in the south-east, some interesting fighting going on.

nathan-rico-003.jpg~original

I was pushing hard towards the town of Sadiq Abad and the oil wells east of it, (dotted red line approx frontline reached), when Nathangun launched a brilliantly conceived counter-stroke (dark blue arrows) by crossing the river just next to the small lake at top of the pic, sweeping aside my light cavalry screen., and threatening the rear of my SE Army.

A rapid re-arrangement of the front was required (yellow arrow) to face this new advance.

Nathangun also launched several attacks on my other wing (light blue arrow), threatening the town of Mocha.

Fortunately for me, the Guards Mechanised Corps had just been forming up to the west and with some rapid rail movement was able to get into position for a swift counter attack (red arrow) into the flanks of the enemy advance.

Turns out not so swift, as the muddy/rainy season has kicked in and wheeled and artillery movement off the main roads/rail network is severely hampered and air support non-existent.
(which is partially good for me as Nathangun's dive bombers were starting to do considerable damage)

Still enjoy this game a lot ... some hard fighting ahead, but the Middle Kingdom may prevail.

(on a strategic note, looking at the overall map, I just I need to urgently build a second railway system (pink dotted lines) in case the western AI attacks, as all my N-S rail network is far too close to the front and if the western AI advances, my northern advance will die off for alck of supplies) :eek:

A couple of months ago @Nathangun and I started an epic series of battles in Advanced Tactics I call the Island Campaigns -- and it's been a gruelling struggle -- we are 148 game files into it.

I started in the far east of the map with a "French" nation regime, Nathangun started in the west with a "German" regime.

island%20war.jpg~original

After we claimed all the islands and resources we could, the struggle for the central island shaped like an inverted T -- with the two north-east cities were mine, and the south-west city Nathangun's.

island%20war-campaign2.jpg~original

As wide-spread submarine raiding by both sides continually attacked the supply lines, I managed to launch an offensive (1) -- to capture the oilwells and fought my way through to besiege Kasendorf - (2)

(3 & 4) -- Nathangun launched airborne and seaborne attacks aimed at cutting off my besieging armies -- both defeated after heavy fighting.
(5) - another amphibious attack very nearly my southern island and its valuable ore resources -- again recaptured after vicious fighting and a lucky attack by a cruiser force that destroyed and cut off the transport fleet. Although a little later lost a battleship to a Nathangun air attack -- at obe point the torpedo bomber ruled the seas.
(2) -- after a siege lasting more than a year in game time, Kasendorf finally fell after an epic defense ... and took ages to repair under vicious bombing from Nathangun's air forces.
A nasty aerial war of attrition ensues - targetting oil wells, airfields, factories etc -- heavy losses due to massive increases in Flak defences ... with active submarine warfare with anti-submarine aircraft in constant action.
(6) A sneaky commando raid on the far southern island and it's mines and harbour failed spectacularly.
(7) While both sides were building up naval and aerial fleets -- a sortie by my fleet lured out a task force of cruisers and battleship and I managed to maul is -- sinking several cruisers and a battleship with carrier aircraft.
(8) Finally today, I launched "Operation Backhand" -- the invasion of Nathangun's far north-western island with a concentration of naval forces and an amphibious expeditionary force -- troops have landed, heavy artillery have deployed, engineers have constructed a temporary port, carrier aircraft and cruisers are bombing the defenders and the first attack has been launched ... now we await the response from the Nathangun navy...

This epic campaign has been ticking over since my last post ... it's been a brutal attritional battle... epic naval battles in the Southern and South-eastern seas -- including a chance interception of a Nathangun raiding/invasion fleet heading straight for my (rather lightly defended at the time) capital city and island. This fleet had managed to sneak past all my pickets and air patrols until a random submarine patrol picked them up just north of the small island at middle far east of the map.
I shifted every naval/air asset I could eastwards at flank speed -- the enemy fleet made a run for it (running out of supplies didn't help him either) and after running carrier and cruiser battles his fleet was destroyed, including the troop transports.

Several years (game time) of attritional strategic air and submarine warfare and building up of troop quality, which I managed to get ahead now quite decisively with the extra production capacity.

Finally the it was D-Day for the invasion of Nathangun's southern home island ...

Screenshot at start of latest turn ... bridgehead is slowly expanding... it's tough going even with higher quality troops and tanks, as the whole island is a maze of fortifications and bristling with Flak defenses ... my air support is suffering a lot of casualties. having to resort to heavy artillery to blast my way forward.

Have a tight naval blockade around the entire island -- hoping to starve the garrison out of supplies eventually -- the island does have it's own source of oil, a shipyard and two cities.

Hoping to advance to cut off the westermost city within a turn or two and isolate one major supply source.

My forces now finally have the upper hand strategically -- the enemy is putting up a ferocious defense, but essentially it'll be one-way traffic from now on.
We've agreed to ceasefire after 10 year mark and see how well we've done. (not entirely sure how far we have left to go.)
No way I'll get all the way to Nathangun's capital city by then. :D

More developments on the Invasion Front... sort of summarising two turns.

With naval supremacy pretty much assured, I managed to sneak a small amphibious force to land SW of the @Nathangun's town of Selbitz (blue arrows), while at the same time two mechanised brigades punched a hole in the enemy front (red arrow) and joined hands with the landed task force to cut off and isolate Selbitz.

Meanwhile, Nathangun launched an armoured counter-attack (orange arrow) aimed I think at cutting off my supply from my Expeditionary Corps HQ (top right) and nearly reached my artillery lines.
To be on the safe side, I had my engineer division construct a second temporary supply port at top left (yellow cross) and then relocated the HQ and supply formations to that spot.
Then with all the artillery and air support I could muster, I managed to repel the attacking force (the fact that they had advanced beyond range of their formidable Flak defences also helped there (my air losses continue to be rather painful.
Naval bombardment of his cities continues -- although this causes usually only limited damage.
Not shown on the map is that as a follow up to isolating Selbitz city, my 16th Infantry Division managed to also push back the weak enemy formation screening the city and is now on the outskirts establishing siege lines.

More to follow if I have time.

Back