Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

"Allied" - the 2016 WW2 movie starring Brad Pitt & Marion Cotillard

Badger73

One of the Few
FGM MEMBER
Rented and watched this DVD with my wife last night. She thought it was okay as a WW2-lite movie. I thought it wound up sucking raw sewage.

Rotten Tomatoes describes this as "a handsome empty shell of a movie" and I must agree. I found this WW2 thriller disappointing on so many levels and recommend that FGM viewers skip it for better WW2 films instead.

My issues include (without major spoilers, I hope):
1) Opening scene daylight desert parachute drop. Desert night drops are the safest in the world; no trees and no rocks in this spot. Hardly the way to begin a covert drop.
2) The 21st Century recreational cocaine use as a 1940's anachronism.
3) The open presentation of a lesbian relationship in a post-Victorian era and conservative military circles.
4) Costuming is well done but London street fashions seemed more colorful than the actual drabness of the times.
5) The "Pied Piper" evacuation of children from London is critically ignored.
6) The British "Special Operations Executive" orders to terminate a suspected enemy agent after confirming instead of apprehending, interrogating, and turning.
7) A British Lieutenant Colonel's cavalier ordering a uniformed security detail not under his direct control to submit false reports.
8) A ludicrous French jail event.

Regardless of one's personal sentiments regarding #2 & #3, the film positions 21st Century contrarian sensibilities as common and acceptable in wartime London. #5, #6, #7, and #8 are unsustainable plot devices. It seems Brad Pitt has positioned himself as the new leading man for well produced but extraordinarily dreadful War War Two movies; from campy "Inglorious Basterds", to mediocre "Fury" to disappointing "Allied". "Allied"'s only saving grace is high production values and accurate costuming.

Move along and wait for something better.

I hear ya @Badger73, I can hardly stomach anything out of Hollywood anymore. With their never ending desire to be "inclusive" and "diverse" they will stop at nothing to fictionally depict anything and everything, claiming it's historically correct. My biggest issue isn't that most of it sucks beyond belief, but a new generation of kids actually believe this crap to be true....thanks for the heads up, but I wouldn't have watched it anyway even though I think Brad Pitt is a great actor. And for the record, I thought "Fury" was simply awful other than some pretty cool effects.

@Badger73 you are approaching this all wrong! Wasn't there a significant romance aspect in that movie that kept the wife entertained, and as such, she felt that you'd spent some 'quality-time' together?

Sounds to me like you've earned a 2-hour leave pass from the wife, for some quality CM time or similar.. ;D

I have seen it this month, but I was not displeased.
I did not expect to see something has good as "Saving....," nor something as bad as "Inglourious Basterds".
But I do not have to complain, I admit it.

@Badger73 you are approaching this all wrong! Wasn't there a significant romance aspect in that movie that kept the wife entertained, and as such, she felt that you'd spent some 'quality-time' together?
Sounds to me like you've earned a 2-hour leave pass from the wife, for some quality CM time or similar.. ;D
Distinct issues . . . :)
I separate my domestic bliss from my FGM activities but thanks for your concern . . . ;)

Back