Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Apple M1 support for Combat Mission games

I

idilix

Hi,

I am considering to get a M1 mac. I have read some inconclusive reports in the forums over the net about how they run ( or not at all ) the CM games. Any first hand experiences with this ?

Someone had already asked before but there were no conclusive answers. Being the victim of change from PowerPC cpus to Intel 20 years ago, again for combat mission ( CM1 on then newer macs were never supported so bought a pc ) , this is of importance to me.

thanks but probably if anyone with a m1 mac shares his/her experience with some referenced runs of small to large scenarios , it can give us an idea. I suspect, at some point battlefront must do native conversions of the games but that time point is not visible to a mere mortal like me.

There was a post on the BFC forums that it runs terribly/unusably.

ARM support is probably part of the Engine 5 work.

I have a basic Mac Book Pro with integrated graphics and the games run fin on it. No idea about M1s though.

I think it falls on the BF to make a statement about how the new M1s are going to be supported and in what time frame.

Quick update. The tester who was going to verify the M1 chip has his machine on back order. He has an estimate of late August for delivery but who knows if that will come true or not. However it was pointed out to me that the second poster in that thread I linked above has CM running on an M1 Mac book Air. As one of the Mac testers commented to me it sounds like its running about as well as an Intel based Mac book Air. His view is Mac book airs are not really up to running CM.

That's all I have for ya.

That's all I have for ya.

@A Canadian Cat Don't want to hijack this thread, but I wanted to talk w/ you re WTII for Mac. I have a fully configured Mac Book Pro, 2019 w 32 gigs of Ram, 1TB SSD. and am AMD Vega 20 graphics card along with the intel onboard graphics. When I use WTII, it works (I seem to remember it gets to a point when leaving it running where you can't quit), and my CM games have momentary freezes when performing certain map browsing using the mouse and keyboard. Have you seen or heard of similar issues?
I've stopped using it, and my CM issues no longer appear. Shame, cause it was a nice piece of software.

@A Canadian Cat Don't want to hijack this thread, but I wanted to talk w/ you re WTII for Mac. I have a fully configured Mac Book Pro, 2019 w 32 gigs of Ram, 1TB SSD. and am AMD Vega 20 graphics card along with the intel onboard graphics. When I use WTII, it works (I seem to remember it gets to a point when leaving it running where you can't quit), and my CM games have momentary freezes when performing certain map browsing using the mouse and keyboard. Have you seen or heard of similar issues?
I've stopped using it, and my CM issues no longer appear. Shame, cause it was a nice piece of software.
Are you saying that when WTII? is running CM freezes but if it's not then it runs fine? If so no, I have not heard of that before. It's hard to imagine what would be causing that even. In the very latest version of Apple the v1 WTII? has trouble (not what you are describing it has no menus). The test build of v2 also fails because it depends on a library that is no longer there. I'm working on a fix for v2. I can send you a beta to try. Send me a PM and we can discuss what might work for you.

I have a M1 MacMini with 16Gb RAM. I've tested it with CMCW with the highest settings and the biggest battle I could find. It runs fine and I had no problems with it (except one, see below).
But then I'm old and not with the 60fps crowd. If you expect super smooth movements you will be disappointed. But I have happily played the game on slower machines in the past.

The one problem I had is that, although there is a 4k monitor connected, I couldn't set the resolution to anything higher than HD. That obviously helps quite some with the performance. I will file this as a bug but I'm not sure if that is an OS thing or if BFC can do anything about it.

Back