Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

ArmA 3 Vietnam session Sunday 3rd May

DoubleD

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'll be hosting the Sunday Op again this week, we will be in Vietnam using the 'Unsung' mod

Server name: DD FGM
Password: DoubleD

Search for the server via the ArmA 3 launcher (see the Server tab at the bottom of the left hand menu) as it seems this is the most successful method to connect

The mission is for 10 players max (not including me), so it's first come first served unless you've put your name forward
Required mods are;

Unsung - https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=943001311
CBA_A3 - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=450814997
Shack Tac User Interface - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=498740884

Please ensure you have no other mods running.

We will try the comms via Discord so please ensure you're setup and able to activate. @Vartuoosi has volunteered to support so if anyone has questions, please contact him directly

Standard house rules

1. No team killing
2. No shooting in the base/briefing area
3. No swearing, within reason....
5. No looting. Resupply will be provided in the field as required

I will start the briefing at 13:05 BST. Please make sure you are on the server well before then so any connection issues and voice comms can be sorted out prior to starting - especially if you are new to ArmA.

Please be aware that if you do arrive late you will need to sort out any problems you are having by yourself so as not to impact on everyone else's session.

Add me on Steam if you haven't done so already (my Avatar is a snail). Same name as the forum - DoubleD

Please direct anyone else here that you think might be interested

Great stuff, re Discord there is a link on the main forum page (on the right under Members Online). About half of the ArmA 3 regulars are already on there. You can setup push to talk in the Discord settings. If it's the same as your ArmA 3 push to talk you will need to remove that key from that function in the game options. I'm also happy to help if Vart is not available.

iwant-you-to-killem-all-become-a-citizen-today-tarship-50215878.png

Reporting for duty!

Hey, @DoubleD , can you send me a Steam friend request? Same name, Paleolithic Monk. I looked for you, but there are over 2,000 DoubleD's on Steam.
I am only able to join when Josey hosts by finding his friends game. A3Launcher and server browser "FGM" never finds the server. I should be able to join on your friends server tomorrow AM

I'm sure DoubleD will read your message before the session Monk, but just a helpful note that the avatar pic of the real DoubleD is a snail with googly eyes.

Hey, @DoubleD , can you send me a Steam friend request? Same name, Paleolithic Monk. I looked for you, but there are over 2,000 DoubleD's on Steam.
I am only able to join when Josey hosts by finding his friends game. A3Launcher and server browser "FGM" never finds the server. I should be able to join on your friends server tomorrow AM

Invite sent....

Great fun guys. Good squad work from individuals and as a team, good leadership Monk, and good mission DoubleD.

Although Josey enjoyed the measured pace of the mission, I have a different take on them.
I enjoy the squad vs AI squad fights, and I'd like to see more of them and at a faster pace.

Having the AI on 'normal' settings seems to give us players a chance to spot where the fire is coming from and find some cover.
As compared to when Josey experimented with 'high' AI settings, where we'd usually have a squad member get hit with the first couple of super-accurate shots.

So, if our squad of 6 can handle engagements against equal numbers of AI, I enjoy the combat so much that I'd like to see more of the firefights.
Maybe some smaller groups like the sniper teams or machinegun nests, but definitely more of the squad based face offs would be my vote.

I was considering designing and hosting some missions myself, but just weighing up the learning curve vs time aspect.

I did see an interesting add-on which greatly speeds up and simplifies the creation process for setting up the enemy (I think it's called Zeus Ares).
In the video below you can skip to 11:10 into it to see what I mean about the ease of creation.

I'm also not sure about whether my aging computer and home internet would be up to the task of hosting a session.
I briefly checked out some of the server rental options and there's some fairly good deals out there.

@Concord yes the official gamemaster program is called Zeus. Ares was a mod for Zeus which added a lot of features. The mod was updated to Achilles which is what I use and it looks like it's been further updated to Zues Enhanced (ZEN) which Double used today.

I'm glad people enjoyed the mission, a bit long but players will go and do things different to how I'd expected :ROFLMAO:

Zen has a couple of additional bits versus Achilles, but it's essentially the same. I don't think Achilles is supported anymore but I've never had any compatibility issues.

So @Josey Wales and @DoubleD does it take long for you to create a misssion?
For the most part, do you just pre-place units in locations? I assume you put some of them on patrol loops?
Do you ever add units on the fly?

If I recall, you guys both host from your personal computers.
What do you think about my idea of renting a server? Might there be some performance advantages?

Apart from the role-play aspect of having an HQ commander to report to, is there any reason the GM doesn't join in?
Are there tasks that need to be done as the mission progresses?
I'm guessing that if you set respawns to occur on the spot, that you could have the mission creator participate as a player?

Back