Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Artillery Poll

Gunner

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Some reason I cannot create a poll in this sup-post.

I appreciate you guys brining up and discussing all the different artillery options.
I can’t believe how much research I put in to this.
I’ve always assumed a standard set of understood rules for play using artillery but now I see there are several possible variations all well-reasoned.
I’ve learned a couple of things, one of which I can’t believe I never realized before is you can only pre-plan Off-Map mortars not On-Map. (Doh!)

Looking at a QB, the On-Map mortars have no pre-planning available and after the 1st turn mortars have a delay of 6minutes. (Could be longer with spotting rounds and all)
Off-Map mortars pre-planning is anywhere from Immediate and then 5minute increments. After the 1st turn it takes 9minutes.
After the 1st turn you would need a LOS to target an area unless a TRP is used.
A TRP delay is 3 minutes.
I don’t see the point of not allowing pre-planning but allowing for the purchase of TRP’s except it would cost the defender points.

The problem I see with pre-planning and the use of TRP’s with the scenario 1 map is that there are only a few areas or lanes of attack that would be too easy to focus the battalion’s mortars on them.
Perhaps if it were a large map or huge map it would be different.

So for right now the artillery rules are:

Only the Attacker is allowed 1st turn artillery.
The Defender cannot use pre-planned artillery or purchase TRP’s.

But I’m flexible so let’s see what you think.

As far as artillery goes for Scenario 1 pick one.
(I'm going to start a poll under the main thread also.)

1) Defender 1st turn fire, pre-planned and TRP’s allowed

2) Defender no 1st turn fire but pre-planned and TRP’s allowed

3) Defender no 1st turn fire, no pre-planned but TRP’s allowed

4) Defender no 1st turn fire, no pre-planned and no TRP’s allowed

Bulletpoint

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
I’ve learned a couple of things, one of which I can’t believe I never realized before is you can only pre-plan Off-Map mortars not On-Map. (Doh!)
Did they change this? I am absolutely certain I have pre-planned on-map mortars several times before.

Bulletpoint

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
I've ran a few QB's and tried pre-planning on board mortars but unless I'm doing something wrong (which is a strong possibility) I can't get on boards to pre-plan.
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I just think they changed it.

Bulletpoint

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Ah I see the confusion. I wasn't being clear.
Yes you can set on board mortars to fire on the first turn what you can't seem to do is set a delay like you can with off boards.
Do I have that right?
Ah ok, I understand you now then. They haven't changed anything then. You can pre-plot on-board mortars but not with a delay.

Bulletpoint

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
I'm currently leaning towards not allowing TRPs for either side. Attacker can pre-plan artillery with/without delay, defender cannot pre-plan in any way.