Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Assessing the Russian Military Campaign in Ukraine (so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this war has a chance of toppling Putin. He has at least lost a lot of prestige at home, many people will start to question his judgement over this.

Pretty poor performance by Russia so far. Looks like this is still a conscript army and reforms have not fully taken hold.

I am interested to see what conclusions our NATO allies will draw from this.

Germany said early that it would increase defense spending.

But with Russia's poor performance, I wonder what NATO allies will ultimately do.

To provide some perspective, for what it's worth:

'The 2003 invasion of Iraq was the first stage of the Iraq War. The invasion phase began on 19 March 2003 (air) and 20 March 2003 (ground) and lasted just over one month, including 26 days of major combat operations, in which a combined force of troops from the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and Poland invaded Iraq. The capital city of Baghdad was captured by Coalition forces on April 9, 2003 after the six day long Battle of Baghdad.'

I would also suspect that the more varied terrain (i.e. not flat desert) and greater prevalence of urban infrastructure & environments situated within the operational theater, and also the likely higher proficiency level of Ukrainian forces & available armaments than the Iraqi army had at their disposal, should not be discounted in assessing the campaign thus far.

Cheers!

Last edited:
To provide some perspective for what it's worth:

'The 2003 invasion of Iraq was the first stage of the Iraq War. The invasion phase began on 19 March 2003 (air) and 20 March 2003 (ground) and lasted just over one month, including 26 days of major combat operations, in which a combined force of troops from the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and Poland invaded Iraq. The capital city of Baghdad was captured by Coalition forces on April 9, 2003 after the six day long Battle of Baghdad.'

I would also suspect that the more varied terrain b (i.e. not flat desert) and greater prevalence of urban infrastructure & environments situated within the operational theater, and also the likely higher proficiency level of Ukrainian forces & available armaments than the Iraqi army had at their disposal, should not be discounted in assessing the campaign thus far.

Cheers!
Also the fact that this campaign is fought during the spring razputsia - with mud after snow melts everywhere making operations very road bound.

Artillery strike on Russian VDV positions in small forest in 3,5 km east from Hostomel airfield during the battle for Moshchun village 12th of March, but maybe a day later. Looks like ammunition depot hit.

Intense video footage reportedly released by the Russian MoD shows a Russian KA-52 attack helicopter conducting a low flying combat sortie at Hostomel Airport on February 24th.

The video shows the helicopter engaging assumed Ukrainian infantry positions while evading a number of incoming MANPADS before bein hit by one of them and having to conduct a emergency landing in a nearby field.

There are so many layers and dark secrets about this conflict that I doubt anyone will know the truth for at least sixty years.

All I know is that when this is over the Ukrainians will still be somebody's bitch, whether it is Putin or US-led NATO, they will not have control of their country. Imagine if Ukraine belonged to Ukrainians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back