Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Audiobook: Empires of the Sea

Empires of the Sea... the battle for the Mediterranean in the 16th century from the Great Siege of Malta to the Battle of Lepanto ... the Ottoman Turks, Corsairs like Barbarossa versus fractious Christendom of Habsburg Spain, The Knights of St John, Venice, Italy and the Pope...

... very good and fascinating period of history... the transition from medieval to gunpowder age, both on land and at sea -- have been listening to it while working these last few days.

The Books description:
"A thrilling account of the brutal decades-long battle between Christendom and Islam for the soul of Europe. This struggle's brutal climax came between 1565 and 1571, seven years that witnessed a fight to the finish decided in a series of bloody set pieces: the epic siege of Malta, in which a tiny band of Christian defenders defied the might of the Ottoman army; the savage battle for Cyprus; and the apocalyptic last-ditch defense of southern Europe at Lepanto--one of the single most shocking days in world history. At the close of this cataclysmic naval encounter, the carnage was so great that the victors could barely sail away because of the countless corpses floating in the sea. Lepanto fixed the frontiers of the Mediterranean world that we know today."

Wow, that last sentenced hooked me.

Interesting subject Louis.
A part of history I know little or nothing about.

It’s narrated by John Lee.
He narrated several books I listened to both history and historical novels dealing with the Napoleonic era Britain on the high seas.

I download audio books through my library and just checked but they don’t have this one. I had to “recommend” they get this so it may take a few weeks for it to become available. They’ll notify me when it is and I will listen to it then.
But there are a few other of his books available now for download his author:
“1453 - The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West”
“City of Fortune - How Venice Rule the Seas”
And
“Conquerors - How Portugal Forged the First Global Empire”

Thanks for the heads up on this one!

The Books description:
"A thrilling account of the brutal decades-long battle between Christendom and Islam for the soul of Europe. This struggle's brutal climax came between 1565 and 1571, seven years that witnessed a fight to the finish decided in a series of bloody set pieces: the epic siege of Malta, in which a tiny band of Christian defenders defied the might of the Ottoman army; the savage battle for Cyprus; and the apocalyptic last-ditch defense of southern Europe at Lepanto--one of the single most shocking days in world history. At the close of this cataclysmic naval encounter, the carnage was so great that the victors could barely sail away because of the countless corpses floating in the sea. Lepanto fixed the frontiers of the Mediterranean world that we know today."

Wow, that last sentenced hooked me.

Interesting subject Louis.
A part of history I know little or nothing about.

It’s narrated by John Lee.
He narrated several books I listened to both history and historical novels dealing with the Napoleonic era Britain on the high seas.

I download audio books through my library and just checked but they don’t have this one. I had to “recommend” they get this so it may take a few weeks for it to become available. They’ll notify me when it is and I will listen to it then.
But there are a few other of his books available now for download his author:
“1453 - The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West”
“City of Fortune - How Venice Rule the Seas”
And

Thanks for the heads up on this one!

I have this one in print and also listened to the audiobook ... it's really really good as well.

Back