Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Avalon Hill Memories

Nice! (y)
I started playing in the early 1960's and think I had everyone of their war games up through Advanced Squad Leader.
You want to laugh, I just got back from visiting my oldest brother in Alabama and he just bought the 1964 game of D-Day on e-bay.
We spent one night playing it and reminiscing. Good times. :)

Still have a few in my attic ;)

oVEWI9h.jpg

This is my first AH game:

tG5fadb.jpg

I actually never owned or played any of the 10 games mentioned in the video.

Panzer Leader was my first. I only played it once :oops:

I still own Magic Realm. Never played it.
pic148345.jpg

Titan is an underrated classic. Played this a few times.
pic199425.jpg

Wizards Quest is a fairly simple but fun game. It got played a lot for that reason.
pic157002.jpg

Dune is a fantastic game, but can ruin relationships (it's backstabby like the book).
Dune_Board_Game_Box_Art_1979.jpg

Look at you guys! ;-)

Here it is:

Tobruk, Panzer Leader, Squad Leader, Wooden Ships & Iron Men, Longest Day, etc.

Any of you ever play any of the 2nd tier developer's games, such as Game Designers Workshop?

Alpha/Omga anyone, by Battleline Publications?

Ogre? (Waiting on Barry). ;-)

D.

I was a HUGE SPI fan.
Favorite, all-time, board game was Terrible Swift Sword.
----

Last edited:
I was thinking I had an SPI game so went through my closet. Along with several more AH games I found this one.
Looks like it's never been played.
I was in the Air Force in 1976 so maybe this game gave me the willies and didn't want to spread the mushroom cloud counters around. Ha! ;)

tNthlbu.png

W9Qcoff.png

VTWwb0N.png

I started in 1972 with PanzerBlitz and had around 50 games by 1985, then I went off into the Navy and let a fair number of them go, but recently I've begun re-building my collection. There's a very lively market on FB for used games and I've picked up Third Reich, PanzerBlitz, Panzer Leader, Arab Israeli Wars, France 1940, and some other non-Avalon Hill games.

Started playing in the Air Force with a friend in 75. Played Panzer Leader, Panzer Blitz, Starship troopers. After I got home trying to find like minded guys that liked board war games was a tough gig. I did have a friend that I played regularly “Squad Leader” and got my Brother in law into it as well. I have all the games plus “Third Reich” that I wanted to start playing on “Vassal” but got into CM instead. There is something to be said about across the table gaming that CM can’t duplicate. Sorry our basement lighting in the closet isn’t great.B919DA22-EC9B-420A-A8DA-9AB081428C6E.jpeg

Last edited:
There's a very active Avalon Hill games group on FB, and a Board Wargames group, and PB/PL/AIW, and just about everything else you can think of. Up Front group, VITP group, etc. Along with Board Game Geek it's a great resource for rules updates or errata etc etc.

I used Marlboro hard-pack cigarette boxes for unit storage and rubber bands for
LOS argument resolution.
Wore out a LOT of those. :p
We used rubber bands as well, but if you let one of the ends go by accident you could take out an entire game! I used the formed plastic counter storage things from AH, when they were still selling them.69F2A84E-5AA5-48BD-A40F-A6E3C6F468B2.jpeg

Back