FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
fabishd@gmail.com
As an extreme example of use of narrative campaign and full FOW (with added DM added intel tid-bits and curve balls), here examples from my Heraklion campaign a while back (it got ship-wrecked by RL issues at the time :( ) -- a British parachute attack on a small fictional Med island in 1943.
Shows how each side would see the battle unfolding... (or unfolding fiasco ;) ) ... first battles have been resolved, the main airfield (hex I4) captured ... reserves for both sides are arriving -- second wave sea landings for Allies and Axis scraping together naval and air transportable reserves to throw on to the island.

Wsa a LOT of fun ... but also a LOT of work...

Here the last Campaign TURN 5 -- pre-orders SITREP report and the operational MAP for the Allies

View attachment 18622

View attachment 18623

Here the last Campaign TURN 5 -- pre-orders SITREP report and the operational MAP for the AXIS.

View attachment 18624

View attachment 18625
I remember it well. It was alot of fun. The FOW made it very challenging.

Rico

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
There's 2 problems with simultaneous moves unfortunately.
The first is that with 54 companies on the go, every turn will be an absolute time sinkhole for me to calculate, which I cannot afford.
Secondly, say you have 3 armored companies moving along, fast. One of them 'crashes' into an enemy unit...and the rest mindlessly keep going as per their orders.
Or one side realizes that the enemy side is doing a big push on the flank, so they want to halt or change course.
The only alternative to units mindlessly following orders ignoring enemy moves is to check with both commanders every MP expenditure to see if they want to modify their orders.

A fog of war mechanic is actually doable, but again, it involves more work.
At the moment I simply update the map, and post it in the open forum.
FOW would involve me making 2 maps each turn to post in each sides' secret forum.
I'd need to turn off all the graphics of enemy counters out of view for one side, and then do the same for the other.

I've been on a razor's edge about the FOW issue many times in my mind. Is it worth the extra hassle? Maybe.
That's why my suggestion of staggering arrival of units ... start with a few lead units etc ...and build from there ... gives you a chance to learn and get used to managing the mechanics.

Concord

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
We are using quick battles for the fights.
This is to make it easier for me to create multiple battles each turn and give players some flexibility with their purchases.
There's no way of including reinforcements with quick battles is there?

Or are you referring to having the counters arrive on the campaign map in stages?
P.S. I believe you are referring to units arriving on the campaign map.

Hmm. Perhaps. Bootie's campaign had simultaneous movement.
But eventually all the units would be in play.

Last edited:

Rico

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
We are using quick battles for the fights.
This is to make it easier for me to create multiple battles each turn and give players some flexibility with their purchases.
There's no way of including reinforcements with quick battles is there?

Or are you referring to having the counters arrive on the campaign map in stages?
Sorry, wasn't clear ... I meant on the campaign map.

Say, one lead regiment/battle group... the next two follow up.

Could add a little DM randomness to it for spice -- you know, traffic jams, supply problems, air interdiction... ;-)

Concord

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
After due consideration, I'm going to abandon the simultaneous moves idea, and use the traditional board game I go / you go format.
Even though it would be more realistic and probably fun, I think it will be far too time consuming. Maybe a future iteration.

I am however still considering FOW, but it depends on the CO's willingness to do extra work updating their versions of the map.
Again, I think it would be fun, but I am concerned about the extra work involved for me and the CO's.
Many of us have extra time at the moment, but things will eventually return to normal.

Kraut

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
The campaign is very popular and has about 20 players. Are there any suggestions what we could change so that more players can fight a battle as a battle commander? Does it make sense to increase the size to 2 Brigades each side? For example: 2vs2 Brigades on the same map, or on different maps?

Last edited:

Concord

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
@Kraut I think that the number of counters we have in play will be pushing the limits of my sanity. :D

Plus, from what I can tell, there's only a handful of the players that have signed up are online very much.
The fellows from both sides that actually post and participate seem to be a bit low.
That's ok, and some of them might be just quietly observing.

The CO's might cherry-pick certain commanders for certain battles, but I expect that they will usually say: battles are up - first come first serve.
Those that are not actively following won't be in the running to get a battle that turn.

Plus, I expect that once the campaign gets properly rolling, we could see several battles per turn.
If we make some effort to rotate commanders, we should see everyone get a few battles.

That all said...it would be possible to add more counters into the mix at any stage of the campaign.

Last edited:

Gunner

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
1 game.
Email
tramos1@optonline.net
Concord, if there is anything I can help with don't hesitate to ask.
I know how hard or time consuming running a tournament by myself, hard to imagine a Campaign.
And besides these times are insane enough ;)

Concord

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
Just updated the rules to include:

Fog Of War

FOW is in effect, and all units have a visibility of 2 hexes (2km).

Reconnaissance Companies
Each side has 3 companies of infantry recon as part of their OOB.
These units have the same strength points as infantry units, but they have the following differences:
They have a MP allowance of 7, like armour.
They cannot receive artillery support.
They have a visibility range of 3 hexes (3km).
Soviets must use Rifle Battalion 44 (Motorized) and Axis must use Fusilier Battalion.
NO heavy weapons are allowed, except for a maximum of 3 x HMG and 3 x medium mortars.

Nathangun

FGM Colonel
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
nathangun@gmail.com
to keep the DM workload down)
Are we Dungeon Master now? ;):D

3. I would suggest each Btn get an additonal HQ Counter that contains a battery of set artillery support, say: battery of 120mm mortars or 75/76mm guns (with a range of 4 hexes) -- this is assigned to support a friendly unit of same Btn attacking during the orders phase, or any of defending friendly units in same Btn when being attacked when in defence.
I like this and had the same idea myself, as units would be in a chain of command. Plus subordinate units have to be in X amount of hexes of the HQ to be command.

Are unit from different battalions allowed to attack into the same hex @Concord ?

Another FOW rule which might slow things down a little but will be more manageable is the 'Chit Pull' system used in board games, were a units' chit is pulled from a cup/deck and the CO orders moves for that unit. Like putting all of the Battalion names/numbers in cup a drawing out each one at a time.
Let's say 1st Battalion (Soviet) is drawn, the CO gives movement/attack orders for that unit, then the GM draws another battalion unit from the cup, it could be Allied or Axis and repeats the process until all the units are drawn for that turn.
Games were I have seen this is used, makes thing very tense.
The plus side is that the GM can build one battle at a time as orders are coming in, it also means the CO's have to be on their toes and be ready to react to issue new orders.

Concord

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
I haven't placed restrictions on units from different battalions attacking into a hex, but it is an interesting idea! Hmmm.
Although players may want to attack with an armoured unit and an infantry unit at the same time.

So is the chit system.
The downside to this is that there would be a lot of map updates.

Last edited:

Nathangun

FGM Colonel
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
nathangun@gmail.com
@Concord Now I might be a bit late in the day with this but it might help you without having to do different maps each turn.
I've been working on a campaign system for my Noville campaign using vassal.

When a playing piece is moved you can set it to leave a trail, and setting the parameters of the trail and the transparency of a 'unselected piece'.
A handy thing is that it auto fills in the numbers of the hexes.

Another cool thing is that you can set your pieces to 'invisible' after you moved (again setting the parameters of transparency). Might help with the FOW issues.

Here in the screenie below I selected an infantry counter to invisible and you can only see the outline of it (Hex H805) because I left clicked and dragged my mouse across the screen, also you can have it set to team restrictions so the other player can't see what it is. Now the other player may see there's something there but he'll have no idea what's there.

Another handy feature is that you can have each counter it's own data sheet by selecting the unit in the unit tray (top left) then right click and select data sheet. See in the top left of the screenie below (notice in this screenie the invisible piece can't be seen at all now).

There are many other feature such as like changing a units graphics if it suffers a 'step loss' or strength kinda thing. The possibilities are endless. Now I can build you a vassal module for the campaign if you like. I'm still learning how to use vassal but it ain't rocket science.

Concord

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
That is certainly a step up from what we're using now! So many excellent features.
I think we launch the current version anyway and look at it for the next version.
By the way, sign me up as a player for whatever you're building (I may have signed up already)!

Rico

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
@Concord Now I might be a bit late in the day with this but it might help you without having to do different maps each turn.

When a playing piece is moved you can set it to leave a trail, and setting the parameters of the trail and the transparency of a 'unselected piece'.

Another cool thing is that you can set your pieces to 'invisible' after you moved (again setting the parameters of transparency). Might help with the FOW issues.

Here in the screenie below I selected an infantry counter to invisible and you can only see the outline of it (Hex H805) because I left clicked and dragged my mouse across the screen, also you can have it set to team restrictions so the other player can't see what it is. Now the other player may see there's something there but he'll have no idea what's there.

Another handy feature is that you can have each counter it's own data sheet by selecting the unit in the unit tray (top left) then right click and select data sheet. See in the top left of the screenie below (notice in this screenie the invisible piece can't be seen at all now).

There are many other feature such as like changing a units graphics if it suffers a 'step loss' or strength kinda thing. The possibilities are endless. Now I can build you a vassal module for the campaign if you like. I'm still learning how to use vassal but it ain't rocket science.
This looks very interesting — never thought of building my own vassal module for a campaign.

is it easy to do?

Rik_atc

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.

Such an amazing tool for these types of campaigns!!, Thanks for sharing

Concord

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
@Rico @Nathangun @Panzerknacker

As planning for the turns' movement orders evolves, along with the new FOW rules, I'm considering a late addition to the rules.
A 'move to contact' order for units.

It would involve an automatic halt to a unit's movement...when enemy sighted? When moving adjacent to an enemy?

It seems realistic, avoiding situations where a unit just blindly bumbles into proximity, despite intel.

Thoughts?