FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
@Panzerknacker @Stafford @Shorker @Wellsonian @eniced73 @Coopes @Sgt Grunt @Panzer_Kraut @JTimo @Nathangun @Rico @Vatutin85 @Redbully @PhilM @Gunner @jobu88 @Fredrocker @olaf @MeatEtr

Generalmajor Panzerknacker examined the maps provided by his Aufklärungsabteilung reconnaissance detachments.
The Russian brigade was rapidly expanding their bridgehead over the Vistula river.
Their lead armoured elements had taken the central town of Gabreski and had dug in.

He gave the order for an immediate counter attack. Panzer Marche!
The entire 3rd Panzer Regiment quickly advanced, encircling the Russian 2nd Armoured Battalion and attacked in force.

Will the Russian 2nd Armoured Battalion be able to survive the German onslaught?
Can they make the 3rd Panzer Regiment pay a heavy price?

Panzer-IV-H-001-px800.jpg

BB T5 beginning copy.jpg

Photoshop file of turn 5

Concord

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
@Panzerknacker @Stafford @Shorker @Wellsonian @eniced73 @Coopes @Sgt Grunt @Panzer_Kraut @JTimo @Nathangun @Rico @Vatutin85 @Redbully @PhilM @Gunner @jobu88 @Fredrocker @olaf @MeatEtr

Hello Good Men,

Well, the first battles in this fledgling campaign have kicked off, and as you can see, they are doozies. :shocknaz:
Here are some important notes regarding the battles.

Battle briefings

I will make a post in this thread for each battle that is occurring.
I will post a map to show the terrain and the entry locations of each unit participating.

Your CO's may allocate commanders for each battle manually, or ask for volunteers.
But as the campaign progresses, the aim is to give each player battles to play.

Remember that with lopsided battles such as these, there may be a few free things added to the under-dog! :giggle:

Battle Commanders

Please remember these important points:

- Stick within your purchase points.
- Check the purchasing rules for what you can buy.
- When you are allocated a battle, start a thread in your secret forum, and title it: BB T??? Hex??? (for example: BB T5 Hex O8). Make regular posts as the battle progresses (this for everyone's shared enjoyment).

- When you purchase your units, do one company at a time. Rename the top unit of each company with your counter’s Rgt/Bn/Co number. Check your points as you go. Then add any extras such as fortifications and GM extras.

Artillery

Each battalion has one module of mortars that will be assigned to battles by your CO.

Winning a battle

A battle is won by destruction of the enemy, or by capturing the victory location(s) on the map.
Normally, a defending unit would be given an option to retreat a hex, but this turn, all defenders are encircled.
If the encircled Russian units remain so at the end of this turn, they will have ammo restrictions next turn.

I may add more points to consider as I think of them.

Game on! :2draw:

Last edited:

Concord

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
Battles for turn 5

Axis 3-2-2 + 3-3-3 + 3-2-1 attack Soviet 3-2-3 in hex O8 Shorker vs Gunner
Axis 3-1-3 + 3-3-1 + 3-1-1 attack Soviet 3-2-1 in hex O9 Coopes vs PhilM
Axis 3-2-3 + 3-3-2 + 3-1-2 attack Soviet 3-2-2 in hex P9 Wellsonian vs MeatEtr

Last edited:

MeatEtr

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
wings76@windstream.net
Wait what? :unsure: Units are allowed to just move in between enemy units? No ZOC? Guess I should read the rules! With a 3 vs 1 ratio... not sure if it's worth fighting out in a CM slaughter! :eek:

Having said that, I volunteer to slaughter the oncoming fascist pigs. Their gonna need 3 units to get by me! :p:LOL:

Rico

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
I was worried that something like this would happen with the campaign mechanics as they are and alternating turns.

With no ZOC and alternating turns, it was going to be a case of whoever sticks their neck out far enough will get pounced on with overwhelming force who have no need to watch their flanks (ZOC abstract that notion) with no ability to respond by enemy.

Those three Russian tank/mech units will be destroyed and the campaign is basically over from an offensive point of view for Russians.

Concord

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
Yes, reading the rules is a good idea. I kept them skeletal-lean for the TL;DR crowd.

I gave due design consideration to ZOC and decided against it.
My reasoning was that at this scale, with a company per kilometre, there would be no 'control' into adjacent hexes apart from some scouting patrols.
Even the armour would have difficulty having enough line of sight over a kilometre to declare control over a neighbouring hex.

The alternating turns (like almost all traditional war boardgames I might add) was used to minimise workload for the GM (compared to things such as hex by hex simultaneous movement).

This is a prototype campaign design.
Even with this turn's movement result, I see it as players getting used to the system rather than an inherent design flaw (so far).
I hope the campaign is still entertaining. If it is not, then let me know.

For example, if the Russian side sees this as a coup de grâce strike, then there is no problem with capitulating and starting fresh. Round 1 to the Axis side.
However, in Nathangun's Battle of the Bulge campaign, our side was very often fighting battles outnumbered and way outside our weight class, but pulling out some very good results. It ain't over 'til it's over.

I expected that despite the size of this campaign, the large number of units would be quickly reduced. It was just a matter of how many rounds it took.

Last edited:

Rico

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
Sure -- the German CO "gamed"(in a good way) the campaign system very well. (with every campaign it's inevitable that a grognard worth his salt will fill find and take the gaps :)

As to ZOC rule ... on 1km hex scale ... I can it making sense with infantry company size units ... but I can't see a tank/mech unit watching an enemy advance across their front unmolested and not "reach out"with long range direct and artillery fire.

As it stands, German units can attack surrounded Russians unmolested with their backs turned to enemy units right behind them ... and when these react next turn, they will have time to face about and form a defensive front against them.

From this point on Russians will have to be on defensive -- and as there is no stacking, the Germans can cherry-pick the Russian infantry units who can't get armoured support in defence battles as the attacker determines who defends, ... so an infantry company with a tank/mech unit next to it, can be attacked while the supporting tank/mech unit stands by helpless ... they could counter-attack next turn, but will then just be swamped by 3:1 enemy armour attacks if German player knows what he's doing :cool:

I say we play on and see what happens.

My other suggestion if we have a next version of this, is to give more varied Regt/Brigade numbers -- it's all 3, 2, 1's ... all a bit of a number-salad blur (for me anyway ... might just be me ;) )

Concord

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
Okay, all points duly noted. Thanks for your experienced advice @Rico.
Perhaps for the next iteration of the campaign, the 'adjacent supporting units' idea is worth a second look too.

As previously mentioned, being a prototype campaign system, there is likely to be some design issues crop up while playing.
What better way is there to experiment in a wargaming laboratory, than with a Few Good Men.

Concord

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
P.S. The hindering ZOC situation you spoke about could perhaps be easily solved by making movement next to an enemy unit (perhaps only enemy armoured units) +1 movement points.

Panzerknacker

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
I can understand your suprise, after your unit movement i knew you guys didnt read all the rules concord came up with for his campaign.
Now is a good time for everyone to check them. :D

I dont know though what was "gamey" about my moves. I just used the ruleset and the movement restrictions given by the GM.

From my point, i would also like it to be more complex and therefor more realistic. I also suggested to have a support system for defending units, where a company not involved in a fight or doesnt have a enemy unit nearby, it could join the defense. I would also favor a system with ZOC or maybe what concord suggested sounds quite good.

BUT as you guys all know i guess is, that we had a lot of campaigns where the GM couldnt or had no motivation to keep the campaign rolling.things kept simple very simple, but for the next campaign changes or improvements can be made to make it more complex and realistic.
Maybe we can get this campaign finished first though, it has just started and the rules are questioned while its running.

Just my 2c :cheerso:

Rico

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
I can understand your suprise, after your unit movement i knew you guys didnt read all the rules concord came up with for his campaign.
Now is a good time for everyone to check them. :D

I dont know though what was "gamey" about my moves. I just used the ruleset and the movement restrictions given by the GM.

From my point, i would also like it to be more complex and therefor more realistic. I also suggested to have a support system for defending units, where a company not involved in a fight or doesnt have a enemy unit nearby, it could join the defense. I would also favor a system with ZOC or maybe what concord suggested sounds quite good.

BUT as you guys all know i guess is, that we had a lot of campaigns where the GM couldnt or had no motivation to keep the campaign rolling.things kept simple very simple, but for the next campaign changes or improvements can be made to make it more complex and realistic.
Maybe we can get this campaign finished first though, it has just started and the rules are questioned while its running.

Just my 2c :cheerso:
What you said is what I meant by “gamed” (wasn’t being derogatory - just played within the parameters of the rules very well )
:cool:

MeatEtr

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
wings76@windstream.net
P.S. The hindering ZOC situation you spoke about could perhaps be easily solved by making movement next to an enemy unit (perhaps only enemy armoured units) +1 movement points.
Yeah +1 for this. Allowing full range of movement with no ZOC should yield penalties to MPs when moving next to enemy units. Since realistically this would cause the moving unit to be much more cautious moving near enemy. Like a +2 per adjacent enemy unit or something. (aka. march vs contact speed)

Gunner

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
1 game.
Email
tramos1@optonline.net
So you're saying that a German unit, using the sample above, moving in to hex O7 would cost 6mp's, +2 mp's each for the Rusiian units in O6-P7-O8?
Or just +2 mp's total for moving to any/all adjacent unit(s)?

Also, if I remember from my board games past, you could make it that if you stop next to an enemy unit it must be attacked.
e.g. The Russian units in O6 and B7 must be attacked by the German units in O7 and P8. (Red)
In some of the old board games you would be able to to take one unit, say the German in O7 and split it in half attacking both O8 and P7 freeing the unit in P8 to attack south. (Blue)
For Example:

Last edited:

Concord

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au
Hey guys, had a mega busy Saturday getting lots of stuff done, and Sunday is already filling up with family stuff.
Bear with me a little while longer, and rest assured that getting the battles up and running is high on my priority list.
Hope you guys are having productive and fun weekends.

Panzerknacker

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Dont stress yourself. You also had to wait a long time for us the get the initial moves done. :cheerso:

Gunner

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
1 game.
Email
tramos1@optonline.net
No rush on my part.
I'm away for the weekend and couldn't start anything until Tuesday anyway.

Concord

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
concord@iinet.net.au

Hello Good Men,

As a newbie GM, this was more work than I thought it would be, but hopefully I have got everything right, and hopefully it will get easier through practice. :giggle:
I hope there are no upsets and that it is an enjoyable experience for all. Battle commanders, remember to keep DAR reporting please so we can all follow progress.

Here are the first battles in the campaign. Please read the instructions here carefully.
Do NOT start your battle until you have read the instructions for purchasing, and your CO has allocated battalion artillery.

Starting the battle

The Soviet forces have the first file.
Remember to enter the password specified in your secret forums.
When you create your own Dropbox folder for the battle and invite your opponent, please invite me to it as well (see my email to the left).

Because of the nature of these first battles, the maps are quite large.
That said, the setup zones are still fairly close to each other.
Be aware that each side's forward edges will possibly/probably be visible.

Axis players, be aware that as stated in the rules, some GM allocated extras may be available to the Soviet side.

Battle Commanders

Please remember these important points:

- Stick within your purchase points (see Checklists and References thread).
- Check the purchasing rules for what you can buy (see Checklists and References thread). Note whether it is a a tank or AG unit.
- When you are allocated a battle, start a thread in your secret forum, and title it: BB T??? Hex??? (for example: BB T5 Hex O8). Make regular posts as the battle progresses (this for everyone's shared enjoyment).

- When you purchase your units, do one company at a time. Rename the parent unit of each company with your counter’s Rgt/Bn/Co number. Check your points as you go. Then add any extras such as fortifications and GM extras.

Artillery

Each battalion has one module of mortars that will be assigned to battles by your CO.
WAIT for these to be confirmed before starting your battles.

These are the ONLY off-map artillery allowed in the campaign - no others may be purchased.
NO pre-planned artillery missions are allowed. No TRP's allowed.

Soviets use: Mortar Platoon Medium (3 x 82mm) + 1 Forward Observer Team
Axis use: Mortar Section Medium (2 x 81mm) + 1 Forward Observer Team

Hex O8
Axis 3-2-2 + 3-3-3 + 3-2-1 attack Soviet 3-2-3 in hex O8 @Shorker vs @Gunner
Hex O8 starter PBEM file

O8.jpg

Hex O9
Axis 3-1-3 + 3-3-1 + 3-1-1 attack Soviet 3-2-1 in hex O9 @Coopes vs @PhilM
Hex O9 starter PBEM file

O9.jpg

Hex P9

Axis 3-2-3 + 3-3-2 + 3-1-2 attack Soviet 3-2-2 in hex P9 @Wellsonian vs @MeatEtr
Hex P9 starter PBEM file
Note to Wellsonian - there is a fair bit of open ground around the town, but I have tried to soften this by making the Axis setup zones include some cover.

P9.jpg

P.S. The maps for the O8 and O9 battles were designed by me for another campaign (which like some other campaigns, fell into an abyss).
They have been carved down from the originals - which were 4km x 4km!