Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Being apart of something great

E

Entrenched

If you could be apart of a unit during WWII, which would you choose and why? ( Feel free to get as detailed as a specific Platoon)
I would choose the 3rd Infantry Div. Their campaigns through Italy were great but terrible at the same time. A lot of heroes arose during that time including the one and only Audie Murphy.

In a tank platoon from the 37th Tank battalion of the 4th Armored Division. Patton regarded the CG, John Wood, as one of the best Allied practitioners of armoured warfare. The battalion commander, Lieutenant Colonel Creighton Abrams, was exceptional. I would like to have served with those kind of men.

9th Infantry Division, Second Australian Imperial Force. Would be interesting to be one of the Rats of Tobruk and fight through the Alamein battles. Sadly if I was in the Division, the battalion that was raised locally was actually wiped out (about 75%) in one engagement during 1st Alamein so I probably wouldn't of had a good run. :p I also wouldn't of wanted to head back to Australia after November 1942 and fight through the jungles against the Japanese. So...

If I had the chance to hang back in Europe maybe I would have liked to tag along with the 2nd New Zealand Division during Italy or transferred to one of the airborne divisions for Normandy.

Oh hell, what am I saying. I hate the heat, heights and I assume being shot at (the last one I can thankfully say has never been tested).

Yea definitely would not be fond of fighting in the Pacific theatre

In a tank platoon from the 37th Tank battalion of the 4th Armored Division. Patton regarded the CG, John Wood, as one of the best Allied practitioners of armoured warfare. The battalion commander, Lieutenant Colonel Creighton Abrams, was exceptional. I would like to have served with those kind of men.
The Abrams family still serves today. If I'm not mistaken his grandson is a 1star.

The Abrams family still serves today. If I'm not mistaken his grandson is a 1star.

I believe he had three sons that went to West Point. I was one year behind his youngest son Robert who is now a four star general in the US Army. I believe the other two sons also became generals.

VMF-214. Sweeping the South Pacific skies of Jap fighters with Pappy Boyington and the Black Sheep would have been something.
01.jpg

If I would have to fight in WW2 I would have likes best to be a crewmember of the Dutch light cruiser HMS Tromp. It served throughout WW2 and saw plenty of action (she was reported sunk 5 times by the Japanese). She survived the war and was eventually scrapped in 1967.

Being 6ft2 and 18 Stone I'd say being a pilot, submariner or tank crewman would have been a squeeze so I'd have been in the Infantry lugging around a Bren Gun with a few boxes of ammo. They would have called me Carthorse Greer. Although I probably would have ended up as an artilleryman lobbing shells at the enemy.

Back