Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[BOOK REVIEW] Desert Sniper by Ed Nash

M

mcmortison

I literally bought the audio book 5min after watching this review. As I could not make a better one I post the one from "gun Jesus" Ian McCollum right here.

Great book

V

Vox

If you like that you may like "lady death" is Lyudmila Mikhailovna Pavlichenko memories of being a russian sniper in ww2. If you can stomach her communist love for stalin it's a good read. Very much like the book "tanks!" But about snipers!

M

mcmortison

Thanks. Will give it a try as soon as I finished the book about the German WII sniper Sepp Allerberger.

julianj

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
I've just finished it, thanks to @mcmortison for the heads-up. It is a really good story about fighting in a modern Kurdish militia as a western volunteer. There's a lot of tactical stuff discussed, and also the strengths and weaknesses of the Kurdish Pershmerga. I thought it was very telling that the Pershmerga, like any conventional army, has its own way of doing things, and god forbid some snotty foreigner tells them there's a better way. :eek:

7.jpg

From bottom a Zagros 12.7mm, 2 x Ser Portatives (cut down 14.5mm), a couple of Sakos and the team's Kalashnikovs. This is the armament of Ed Nash's sniper squad.

The home-made 12.7mm & 14.5mm rifles and their use are fascinating. The book is worth it for that alone. I hope we might get some of this in CMSF2 because the technicals, "panzers" (home-made armoured vehicles) and other stuff would make for a great game addition.

julianj

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
I don't want to spoil the book, but one thing Nash makes clear is the lack of artillery and mortar support - the Kurds always use technicals with guns from 12.7 to 23mm calibre for direct support. At one point a soldier Nash calls "Moe", who is obviously ex-Nato military, probably British Army, gets to use a Kurdish mortar with deadly efficiency. After he's fired eight bombs the Kurds drag him away because he's fired their entire allocation of support ammo.