Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Britain surrenders...

The invasion would have come from main land USA.

Rommel-out

I´m with Rico! But I would go a bit further. I think the chances then were much higher that at least a great part of Russia would have captured by the germans, Africa would have been theirs or at least it has needed much more men and material to get the germans out of there. Sicily wouldn´t have been fallen so easily and the landings in Italy and Normandy would never have took place. Japan could have drawn greater parts of its armies from the borders to Russia, Italy´s leader had punished and Italy occupied by Germany. Iceland would have become the forward position of the Reich for the attack on USA via Canada if USA hadn´t drawn from war, Spain would have become the forward position of the Reich to gain access to Africa. Canada would have threatened by (a) possible landing(s) if not drawn from war. Japan had maybe gained superiority in the pacific theater with assistance of the grown german (with the french and british fleet overtaken) and italian fleets. The Führer had been killed sometime by his own generals and some power orientated military leader had taken his place. USA wouldn´t have become such a world power and would have to agree to a pact with Nazi-Germany. Nazi-Germany would have stopped war after that because the economic and industry weren´t able anymore to hold step with such a great material waste. So it would be similar to what is reality today - only Germany instead of USA would dictate the rules for the world. EU would have established short after the war ended. Maybe under another name. Residual Russia hadn´t had a another choice as to make a peace or non-aggression pact. And over the time it had joined the EU. The worlds most used language would have been german instead of english. Probably Israel wouldn´t have been established. SS would have become the border police in the east and the standing army in the orient. Maybe the orient would be a bit quieter these days since the germans would have been seen as liberators from the yoke of Britains and other colonizers - but only so long as they hadn´t become the colonizers.
The Reich had gained more and more industrial and economical importance. So residual Russia would probably have become the playground between the USA/Canada on one and Nazi-Germany on the other side. Wehrmacht would have been degraded to a better police force. A german foreign legion would have established and done the dirty work (similar to Blackwater).

One could continue that on and on. So I cut here.

Greetings :)

I guess that the United States of America NEVER would have stopped fighting against the Italian Fascists and German Nazis.
And also the Commonwealth countries would have continued the fight for to free their motherland.

There is a series on YouTube available (I also have it on DVD) that is called "Why We Fight" - it is very interesting and it shows why there was no alternative
for the USA and the free world but to join the war in Europe and to fight the radical dictatorships and stop mass murder and cruelty.

It is always said that with the landing in the Normandy the Allied opened a second front but indeed they were already fighting in Africa and from 1943 already in Italy etc.

My statement in short: The British were very tough soldiers and England was more than only a starting platform/base for a landing - it was a symbol for resistance
and the will to fight etc. - but even without England and it's soldiers (1,5 million men at arms in total?) on their side in the long run the Allied (with the Commonwealth countries) would have had enough soldiers and would have landed in Europe from Africa (maybe would have invaded fascist Spain from Marocco) and doubled or or tripled their support for Russia (in weapons and men) and in the very long end - if no landing in Europe would have been successfull - they would have thrown the
atomic bomb on Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Interesting...

I also wondered if the USA may have turned facist... (8% of US Americans wanted to support a war against nazi Germany only). There was (if what some of the old newsreels are to be believed.) a strong facist movement in the USA before 1940. In addition who to say who would have had the A-bomb first... it was only because the hard water plant in Denmark was destroyed by Danish resistance Germany was unable to carry on with its reseach into Atomic power. Could Franklin D. Roosevelt, maintain his presidency?

The invasion would have come from main land USA.

Rommel-out

Not likely -- the logistics or launching an invasion without a close forward base against a force as strong as the Wehrmacht with forces as inexperienced as they would be without the blooding of "sideshow" theatres like Tunisia and Sicily would have been a crippling obstacle.
Also, the Luftwaffe would probably have been intact and I doubt that with WW2 technology a sustained strategic air campaign against Germany would have been possible across the Atlantic ... and it was fighting the P-51's that finally broke the Luftwaffe (and fuel shortages).
Only way to get fighter cover would've been to park a hundred fleet carriers in the eastern Atlantic.

I think, given enough time, US might have had the industrial capacity to do that (although only without fighting Japan at the same time), but would they have bothered? -- if Hitler was crazy enough to pre-empt and say bomb New York etc... then maybe, but then war would've dragged into late 40's (ok, all depends what would have happened on the Eastern Front -- Soviets broke the German army's backbone, the USAAF the Luftwaffe)

I guess nukes would've been the only option ... and would've been used even over Europe ... at the time they were only considered by most military leaders (who actually knew about them) as just a "bigger bomb."

As to Commonwealth keeping up the war -- not sure about that.

India would've surely taken the gap and declared independence -- and no other Commonwealth country at the time had the industrial or population base to carry on more than a harassment/guerilla campaign.

Rico, while I agree with everything you say, there were plans to invade from the USA.

Rommel-out

Back