Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

British aviation

Looking in to the Gloster Gladiator I found a link about a restoration.
Not only a good story but a link to “The Fighter Collection” site.
Every year they have a Flying Legends airshow at Leeds airport.
One of these years I just may make it there.

The Gloster:

VGle36R.png

8jOfr89.png

https://fighter-collection.com/cft/gloster-gladiator-g-glad/

Up in Quonset Point, Rhode Island, near where my brother lives was the home of the Seabees during WWII.
(CB pronounced Seabee stood for Construction Battalion)

There's a little museum there and, of course, the displays are all setup in various revisions of the Quonset huts.
It's small but pretty cool really.

The original Fighting Seabee statue that was located at the front gate to the base is well taken care of.

Y7y153N.png

j4GPsOP.png

ud26B0p.png

K3T9hGx.png

“The first RAF aircraft to fly over 300mph, the Hawker Hurricane became a legendary aircraft. Over half of every enemy aeroplane destroyed in the Battle of Britain was by a Hawker Hurricane, not a Spitfire. The Hurricane is known for being a reliable workhorse of the Battle of Britain, but also went on to serve in nearly every major theatre in the Second World War, and even as a bomber.”

(This is a really good video on describing the difference between the Hurricane and Spitfire)
“In this video, Graham Rodgers gives us a tour of Sydney Camm's magnificent design, as well as into the cockpit of this veteran Battle of Britain aircraft at Duxford.”

Reactions: mTk
The de Havilland DH.103 Hornet, a creation of de Havilland, was a twin-engine piston-powered fighter aircraft. This aircraft further advanced the wooden construction techniques initially pioneered by the de Havilland Mosquito. The Hornet's development began during the Second World War as an independent project, with its intended role being to carry out long-range fighter operations in the Pacific Theatre against the Empire of Japan.

1708256740451.png

Wondering about the armament I looked it up:

Armament:
4 × 20 mm (.79 in) Hispano Mk. V cannon (with 190 rpg) in lower fuselage nose
(Bet that packs a punch)

They must be well recessed in to the fuselage because I can't find a pic anywhere showing their exact location.

Back