Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Buildings

P

PoorOldSpike

Buildings with a 2nd floor make good arty observer posts

nn1.gif

With good LOS over the top of bocage-
nn2.gif

What would be very interesting - and useful! - is be a test that evaluates actual cover a building offers - in one scenario one or two salvos of a .30cal takes 3 or 4 men holed up in a buillding. And I believe each building offers a different amount of cover to the troops...

U can adjust the positioning of a squad in a building by changing facing.

Indeed, windows are important because of 1:1 representation. If one puts his men into a bulilding with no windows they won't be able to shoot at the enemy and might not even see him in the first place.

...I found that hammering buildings with my armor's HE rounds is the best way to get rid of any pestilence residing in buildings.

As so far, the demo missions that gave me the thought about really laying into buildings was the one which I had to secure the cross road and got cut down the first time passing on the left...

So after that, I realized that buildings in CMBN need to be destroyed if passed...the effectiveness of infantry in buildings seem a bit more advantageous than before...

Depends with what one is shototing at them - a.30cal or .50cal will easily pass through most walls that aren't solid brick. Only an observation, though, I haven't tested anything yet, just lost an unhalthy bunch of men to enemy MG fire.

Personal pov: I hammered the brick building on the opposite side of the hedge, it dispersed all remains of human life within two turns which was very convenient and enjoyable to watch...

Spike, we need proper tests for every building in the game with regard to protection against different weapons: small arms, MGs, machine cannons and big stuuf. Do you think you can do that?

Yes i'll run all sorts of tests on things but it'll take time.

POS I want to thank you for all the work in the past you have done and the work I am sure you will do in the future. You have made the gaming easier for us lazy louts, we rest on your testing for the most part.

I just want to say thanks again.

POS I want to thank you for all the work..

Ha ha ha thanx mate, it's just that I never trust manuals in any game, and prefer to dive straight in and test everything out hands-on, it's the only surefire way to be certain of anything..:)

I haven't seen any option, while using the cursor, that allows for determining what kind of building one is looking at such as CM1's heavy/light designations. Or, for that matter, being able to ascertain what any kind of terrain one is looking at. Is it a "read the manual issue?"

Sadly: no. It's all "learning by experiencing" - or seeing your men die in this case. Since it's 1:1 represntation I presume the cover you see is the cover your men get. Buildings are another matter, though, it looks as if about everything can shoot through every wall...

I would like to know how often does one have to cut the grass on the main floor?

Buildings are another matter, though, it looks as if about everything can shoot through every wall...
WWII era rifles are much more potent at shooting through brick and mortar than modern infantry rifles. A long barreled .30 caliber rifle packs a heck of a lot more punch than a modern .223 rifle or carbine, easily going through brick, trees, etc.

One thing that has been brought up on the BFC forums is that many Norman buildings, especially churches, were built with very, very thick walls. Multi-story buildings could have lower walls over three feet thick and made of stone (churches and large buildings, not simple family homes). These types of buildings don't seem to offer better cover in CMBN, but it'll have to be tested to know for sure.

It is entirelypossible that the buildings do offer enough protection relative to the material they're made out of, but the TaCAI positions all soldiers at the windows.
Your guys shoot out of windows, the enemy shoots at the windows where your guys keep popping up, thus "suffering" from greatly reduced cover and protection because a half of them is out in the open. That doesn't exaplain, though, why my Crack aparatroopers can drop guys in the middle of the night inside a Church at half a kilometere with ease...

I agree that something is not quite right. It seems like the game doesn't take into account that guys would pop up to the window, take a few shots, then duck back behind cover. The men in-game just seem to stand there and take incoming fire. If you manually Hide your men, they withstand small arms fire much, much better. Of course, it comes with the penalty of not firing back (which is the whole advantage of a fortified position). Hopefully we can run some tests and if something is amiss, put our finger on it and request BFC to make adjustments.

A typical brick building is of only slight impediment to the penetration of a .50 cal round. While the round may indeed be slowed down, the attendant debris from the destroyed brick and the slowed round, will surely discomfit any occupants. I would posit that a wooden building is far safer to receive .50 cal ball rounds in, than said brick building.

Back