Campaign End - Syrian Victory (End Report and Feedback)

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
Usually plays single player.
After 301 KIA, 229 WIA, 5 MIA, NATO has been forced to disengage the Syrian forces south of Damascus and call of OPERATION Five Lions.

Red Force: Syrian Victory

It was engagement 17 that pushed it over the line by a long mile. The loss of many vehicles (including 3 aircraft!) and troops from TF Delphi meant the Syrian's had achieved their main objective and inflicted enough death and destruction onto the invader to make them think again about this route of advance. NATO was oh so very close to holding their two objective maps but it was one turn too far.

- The Syrian Regime Leader managed to escape to Lebanon.
- The Syrian IED Factory remains undetected.
- The Syrian Vehicle Shop remains undetected.
- The Syrian Radicalization Center remains undetected.
- The missing western journalists remain missing, presumed dead.
- The original Syrian commander was assassinated by NATO forces.

The Final Kill Count
NATO

KIA: 301
WIA: 229
MIA: 5
Tanks: 1
Armoured Vehicles: 46
Other Vehicles: 5
Aircraft: 6

Syrian Regime
KIA: 1,328
WIA: 762
MIA: 30
Tanks: 13
Armoured Vehicles: 65
Other Vehicles: 49
Aircraft: 0

@Rico , @Nathangun - Are the most likely to run a narrative campaign of sorts in the future. I'm sure they'd like to see any thoughts on what worked here and what didn't from the players. Also special thanks to Rico early on for sprucing up the campaign map and counters. :)

For me the highlights were:
- @Hapless ' - Essays on the operational situation. Carefully trying to claw out every shred of intel available to give his commanders the best chance in battle. And then stuffing up the move order sheet. The exact kind of player a GM wants as a force commander in a narrative campaign. :D
- @Bootie 's assassination and the command void that followed for 24 hours in game. His men tried so hard to save him. :p
- @Vartuoosi taking over as Syrian Commander and from the outset became the 'bad guy' far to readily that it's made me a little nervous. The shock in the NATO forum when they were swarmed by suicide bombers was priceless.
- The different and secret objectives. I think that worked well judging by the posts in each side, especially NATO. But I'm not sure they took the msg to heart once they started to work out what the Syrians were trying to do. :p
- The Action Cards. A real easy way to add some flare to battles and the campaign map. (ie Syrian Commanders Assassination).
- A narrative campaign that's actually been fought to conclusion!

Things that flat out didn't work:

- The in game victory calculation. The terrain objectives wasn't the best option for determining who took the map.

Things I wish were better:
- The narrative/role play side of the campaign that I promised. It started well but I was quickly and quite separately co-opted into other duties that split my CM time. If you frequent the Battlefront forums you'll know what I mean. (Not to mention RL work responsibilities). It was the first thing to drop away to keep the battles themselves going.

If anyone wants to use any of the materials I made here in other campaigns go right ahead. I'm wondering how this would work in a WW2 setting but alas it won't be me running it I can say that for certain. :D I'm booked out until 2025 at this rate. Thanks again to all for participating I hope you've had a laugh.

Gnarly

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Oh Wow, I totally forgot this was happening in the background!

Might have to guest-spectate a side next time.

rocketman

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
It was a well-crafted and interesting campaign. Wish I could have taken part more but RL kept me from it. I really enjoyed the media reports which gave flavor to the proceedings.

Hapless

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
I thought we were cutting it a bit fine! Well done to the Syrian team, can't wait for both team's subforums to open up so everyone can get the whole picture.

I'm with @sspoom: Task Force Five Lions did what it was asked to do, if the politicians wanted a lower butcher's bill they should have given us more assets!

Huge thanks to @Ithikial for putting this on and keeping it rolling for a whole year and a half, it was a fantastic experience!

sspoom

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
I really enjoyed this one. My limited experience with the modern titles made it even more challenging.
The "news angle" made it very cool, the scenario where I was to find the news crew.......I would have been wiped out if I had pushed much more than I did.
The "decapitation scenarios" were fun, One I got the bad guy and the other I'm pretty certain he got away.
Great job @Ithikial and everyone involved !

Nathangun

FGM Colonel
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
nathangun@gmail.com
@Rico , @Nathangun - Are the most likely to run a narrative campaign of sorts in the future. I'm sure they'd like to see any thoughts on what worked here and what didn't from the players. Also special thanks to Rico early on for sprucing up the campaign map and counters........If anyone wants to use any of the materials I made here in other campaigns go right ahead.
I'd love to get the cards if they are available.

The shock in the NATO forum when they were swarmed by suicide bombers was priceless.
Would love to see that.

A narrative campaign that's actually been fought to conclusion!
Well done on getting it finished. 07