Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Char 2C (Heavy tank)

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
The Char 2C was the largest operational tank ever produced. Char 2C was a French super heavy tank designed in the last phase of WWI. It was developed by a French shipyard, Forges et Chantiers de la Méditerranée (FCM) located near Toulon.

VET24Gk.jpg

Dimensions 10.27 x 3 x 4.10 m
Total weight, battle ready 69 tons
Crew 12
Maximum speed 15 km/h (9.3 mph)
Range – fuel 150 km (95 mi) – 1260 l
Armament Main: 75 mm gun (2.95 in)
Secondary: 4 x Hotchkiss 8 mm (0.31 in) machine guns
Armor 6 – 45 mm (0.24-1.8in) max

TD6QNQm.jpg

It´s fun to look at trials and tests. But what I don´t grasp is why almost every time they are done a tree has to get murdered. It´s completely unnecessary.

Greetings

I was curious about what the interior looked like so I did a quick search and found this one.
Looks extremely roomy. Even needed a ladder to get to the turret.
Wow.

qbUnjw4.png

I'd really like to find out what in the world could cause that kind of damage.
I consulted the comments in the source on this image and it specifically reports that it was destroyed by its own crew. As you can see here the tank is still on top of a train carriage, in fact the rail line is visible at the bottom of the photo.
After the German advance in 1940, a number of Char 2Cs were shipped south by rail.
This, the Char 2C number 98 (named Berry) was trapped with several others by a train wreck and were unable to disembark, so they were destroyed to avoid capture.

Back