Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

chess....Alpha Zero Vs Stockfish

I remember Sargon and Chessmaster. My first chess game against an AI was one of those early 1980s dedicated chess computers. The one I had didn't sense your moves. You had to manually input them.

More recently, as described earlier in this thread, I use Chess Ultra, available on Steam. It's engine is far more than enough to defeat me, but, more importantly, and unlike Komodo and other free chess engines, which can defeat literally any human, Ultra tries to match the engine to your skill level, and offers several different "atmospheres", which I find rather calming. :)

@Meat Grinder I can strongly endorse Shredder for i-pad if you want a game that will adjust to your level after enough games. It's free, has 5 or 6 different opponent types (aggressive, defensive, passive, careless, etc) and it lets you save and export games. For a free i-pad app it is a phenomenal chess program.

I got one of these as a gift in 1983, it played a pretty strong game.
DSC03287.JPG

Cool! That isn't exactly the one I had, but looks very similar. I could beat it on the easy levels. I also got mine as a gift sometime in the early 1980s.

Thanks for the tip on Shredder.

Last edited:
Good game, I thought I had perpetual check and a draw until you moved Kc8.

Yep. I wasn't sure how I was going to get out of that without making my position worse. Amazing I managed to get through a game without making a major blunder.

BTW, please make you final move. Chess.com will provide a game analysis when we finish.

Nice! Way better than me, that's for damn sure.

This old boy still has it, after a a late night (3.30am) of tune up matches I created a profile. Three games in and just hit a rating of 1865. :D Time to mentally prepare for some crushing defeats.

In this game, white pushed forward a single minor piece aggressively in the early game. I tried for rapid development of my minor pieces and even held pawn control of the centre briefly. I ended up dropping two pawns from tactical mistakes, I was on the ropes. Despite being two pawns down I new I had two advantages which were my only keys to victory, better minor piece development and most importantly the initiative. His open king position became my focus. Note how at the end of the game whites queenside bishop and rook have not even got into the game.

These concepts whether erroneously applied to my game or not come from the book The Ametuers Mind. It covers concepts like optimizing knights vs. bishops and what to do with leads in development, initiative and/or space. I find these concepts handy in blitz games where you calculation time is limited.

6sRP4nD.jpg

Back