Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMBN 82nd Airborne Mini-Tournament

It wasn't bad at all, if you observe you can pick out some pretty useful firing positions

However, I did just realize something I hadn't with my previous game. In the briefing for No Better Place To Die, one of the first few lines says: "Deployment zones and artillery support differ to account for differences in A.I. vs Human Performance".

So does that mean we are currently playing the historical version?

However, I did just realize something I hadn't with my previous game. In the briefing for No Better Place To Die, one of the first few lines says: "Deployment zones and artillery support differ to account for differences in A.I. vs Human Performance".

So does that mean we are currently playing the historical version?
All of my 82nd airborne scenarios are as historical as possible, within the bounds of the game code and scenario creation toolbox as well as available information. The briefing note you refer to distinguishes between the single player version where the A.I. needs a little help and the head-to-head multi-player version of that same scenairo with the latter having no A.I. to program. That said, after a number of play-tests revealing a particular H2H scenario to favour one side or other too strongly, I sometimes need to rebalance scenarios to make them more playable by either changing victory conditions without touching force OOBs, or in fact changing force OOBs or arty support within the boundaries of the facts that are 'unknown'. E.g. 'How much off-map mortar fire did the Germans use that day? It was used but exactly how much is unknown. Play testing and rebalancing has its own hazards. A scenario may 'appear' to be imbalanced if one player has played particularly brilliantly, or their opponent the opposite.

Send me a Dropbox invite I deleted our shared folder when I ended the game
By the way, you can find old deleted folders at the db website and re-add folders to your pc again. I've had to do this a few times since I didnt want to wait for re-invite. It's under the Shared section, just mouse over it and click add to db.

Anyway, I see you got the invite, will try and get my setup back over to you tonight.

By the way, you can find old deleted folders at the db website and re-add folders to your pc again. I've had to do this a few times since I didnt want to wait for re-invite. It's under the Shared section, just mouse over it and click add to db.

Anyway, I see you got the invite, will try and get my setup back over to you tonight.

Take your time

Hmm, interestingly I can't find a combat record for the 1057th Grenadier Regiment prior to June 6th. The paratroopers were certainly inexperienced, most seeing combat for the first time, but I believe a few were sent to North Africa and Italy before D-Day. I would assume both sides were equally inexperienced.

I do think the veterancy should be changed to conscript for both sides, if you want actual realism.

For the sake of balance, it makes sense though. The US get like 12 Shermans. The Germans get 3 paks. If you have a cheeseball for an opponent, they will snipe your equipment off the map first turn possible.

Last edited:
If the above discussion is about the scenario "Shaul's Run", the 325th, 82nd airborne forms the largest contingent on the American side. They were airlanding troopers, that is to say, not paratroopers and had very little experience. Airlanding troops are follow-up troops and (arguably) may not have the same elan as those who are dropped in first. They also had a morale problem at that moment for three reasons, the least of which was that their unit had been renumbered, something they didn't like (traditions and all that). The othe rtwo being being that their commander had just been replaced for 'reluctance' to fight and that the night before their first battalion had been thrown back after an attempted night crossing of the Merderet a few hundred meters to the north. That is my argument for classifying them mostly as regular (notice that I avoided 'conscript'. I allowed their poor morale to be offset by the little experience they had had in Italy (I believe).

As for the Germans being 'crack'? That is an error on my part. I had a look at the scenario and the intent was to make the officer's crack. The 'whole' force being crack is a mistaken or overlooked press of the buttons by me. At the moment of the scenario the German morale certainly exceeded that of the American 325th. The preceding two days Germans had bounced two American approaches against Amfreville, contained two companies of Americans under Lt. Col. Timmes in the 'orchard', blocked Col. Millet west of Amfreville, kicked the Americans out of the church and farm complex a the west end of the La Fiere causeway and although themselves twice prevented from assaulting the eastern end, followed those setbacks up by capturing 200 troopers of Col. Millet plus Millet himself during his night attempt to link up with Timmes and simulataneously drove back across the Merdert an attack against le Motey by 1/325th. Both American forces were battalion strength or equivalent and attacked the Germans simultaneously from west and east.

Seems to me that the Germans had every right to feel 'superior' to the Americans at that point. As far as the Germans knew, that had contained every effort by the Americans to cross the Merderet for at least two days while simultaneously bottling up Lt. Col. Shanley on Hill 30 a little to the south, who also failed to capture his appointed objectives.

If the above discussion is about the scenario "Shaul's Run", the 325th, 82nd airborne forms the largest contingent on the American side. They were airlanding troopers, that is to say, not paratroopers and had very little experience. Airlanding troops are follow-up troops and (arguably) may not have the same elan as those who are dropped in first. They also had a morale problem at that moment for three reasons, the least of which was that their unit had been renumbered, something they didn't like (traditions and all that). The othe rtwo being being that their commander had just been replaced for 'reluctance' to fight and that the night before their first battalion had been thrown back after an attempted night crossing of the Merderet a few hundred meters to the north. That is my argument for classifying them mostly as regular (notice that I avoided 'conscript'. I allowed their poor morale to be offset by the little experience they had had in Italy (I believe).

As for the Germans being 'crack'? That is an error on my part. I had a look at the scenario and the intent was to make the officer's crack. The 'whole' force being crack is a mistaken or overlooked press of the buttons by me. At the moment of the scenario the German morale certainly exceeded that of the American 325th. The preceding two days Germans had bounced two American approaches against Amfreville, contained two companies of Americans under Lt. Col. Timmes in the 'orchard', blocked Col. Millet west of Amfreville, kicked the Americans out of the church and farm complex a the west end of the La Fiere causeway and although themselves twice prevented from assaulting the eastern end, followed those setbacks up by capturing 200 troopers of Col. Millet plus Millet himself during his night attempt to link up with Timmes and simultaneously drove back across the Merdert an attack against le Motey by 1/325th. Both American forces were battalion strength or equivalent and attacked the Germans simultaneously from west and east.

Seems to me that the Germans had every right to feel 'superior' to the Americans at that point. As far as the Germans knew, that had contained every effort by the Americans to cross the Merderet for at least two days while simultaneously bottling up Lt. Col. Shanley on Hill 30 a little to the south, who also failed to capture his appointed objectives.
Thanks for the info and history lesson! I really should read up on some of this stuff. Just the other day I almost ordered this book "No Better Place to Die". Influenced by playing your scenarios, so kudos to you! But with my gaming habits and RL work stuff. I decided didnt have the time. A shame really since I use to read a ton of stuff about history/WWII. :sleep:

As for the mistake making Germans all Crack. Hey we're all human, no worries. I honestly dont think it will be enough to sway the balance to the Axis side. I feel like I need my opponent to be pretty wreckless in order to give the Axis a chance in this one.

Thanks for the info and history lesson! I really should read up on some of this stuff. Just the other day I almost ordered this book "No Better Place to Die". Influenced by playing your scenarios, so kudos to you! But with my gaming habits and RL work stuff. I decided didnt have the time. A shame really since I use to read a ton of stuff about history/WWII. :sleep:

As for the mistake making Germans all Crack. Hey we're all human, no worries. I honestly dont think it will be enough to sway the balance to the Axis side. I feel like I need my opponent to be pretty wreckless in order to give the Axis a chance i this one.
@MeatEtr this is a pretty good video about the battles fought there ... assuming this link works

As for the mistake making Germans all Crack. Hey we're all human, no worries. I honestly dont think it will be enough to sway the balance to the Axis side. I feel like I need my opponent to be pretty wreckless in order to give the Axis a chance in this one.
"No Beter Place to Die" is pretty good. It is a short read, easy to finish in a day. A little bit biased in favour of its own regiment's contribution but I guess that is typical of the loyalty of all soldiers to their own regiments.

Back