Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMBN - Marking mines vs Clearing mines.

Kandu

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
As far as I can tell the only way to 'clear' mines is with the Commonwealth flail tank. As indicated by my previous post I ran a test to learn how to detect hidden mines with German Pionieren. After answering that question, I allowed the Pionieren to remain prone on top of the mines they had marked for FOUR hours. Yes, I set the scenario time for four hours and ran it in real time. They did not clear the mines but just left them 'marked'. Simultaneously on one of the flanks I attempted to clear some mines by depleting them using the Sovient Penal method . I ran the German troopers back and forth until all the mines they were running over had exploded (I think). In any event that did not result in a 'mines cleared' graphic. In conclusion - infantry cannot clear mines = only mark them. Incidentally I found that running through marked mines either fast or quick, did not result in many more casualties than walking. Surprise!

There is a way to clear mines by sympathetic detonation, but it only works if the HE shell is of a large enough size, don't quote me on this but I think it has to be around 150mm or larger to work.

I know that the Churchill AVRE will do it for certain, and I think the M12 155mm howitzer will as well.

Heavy artillery should work as well, but would be a very inefficient way of going about it.

Incidentally I found that running through marked mines either fast or quick, did not result in many more casualties than walking. Surprise!

This is very surprising to me, too. And in your other post, you wrote that you have to avoid going quick or fast?

This is very surprising to me, too. And in your other post, you wrote that you have to avoid going quick or fast?
Yes, I originally wrote that walking through marked mines resulted in NO casualties. Subsequently I discovered that running through marked mines resulted in LOW casualties. Hope that clarifies. Today I intend to research the matter more thoroughly with various nations and arms engineers.

Bonus question: If you're looking for AT mines, do you need to crawl, or can they also detect those while walking?

Need to crawl. However, you can detect them by walking if you are willing to use the Soviet Penal Battalion method - KABOOM!

No, I was asking about AT mines... they don't go kaboom by walking over them :)

No, I was asking about AT mines... they don't go kaboom by walking over them :)
Ah! I have not tested for AT mines. Don't know if walking over them will find them. I assume not. I am guessing that the reason that 'crawling' works is that the slow speed reflects the time needed to use either WWII mine detectors or poke in the ground with bayonets?!

Ah! I have not tested for AT mines. Don't know if walking over them will find them. I assume not. I am guessing that the reason that 'crawling' works is that the slow speed reflects the time needed to use either WWII mine detectors or poke in the ground with bayonets?!
Maybe. I must admit I never tested it out.

In WW2, some of the mines would have been recently planted without taking the time to properly conceal them, so it might in some cases be possible to notice them while walking, I think. In some cases, they might just have been put on roads in plain sight or with some leaves covering them.

Maybe. I must admit I never tested it out.

In WW2, some of the mines would have been recently planted without taking the time to properly conceal them, so it might in some cases be possible to notice them while walking, I think. In some cases, they might just have been put on roads in plain sight or with some leaves covering them.
Yes, airborne units had strings for mines that they just laid across the road (like a police spike strip). This allowed for rapid recovery as well. But were also easily spotted.

Using a 'move' also works but 'slow' is probably more effective finding them.

Back