Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMFB Courage Conquers Campaign Tactics assistance

ARKSh7R

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Howdy wargamers, I've got a few... Concerns with my CMFB/WW2 tactics. See, I'm having trouble minimizing casualties. I'm more accustomed to the modern era titles, and perform more efficiently using IR optics, long range auto cannons etc. I've made an attempt at "Courage Conquers" a few times, and have yet to make it past the 1st mission! I always lose a few tanks, a lot of good men, and since the campaign has little resupply/reinforcement, I give up half way through the 1st mission. I believe it may have to do with my eagerness to move quickly. I've tried staging 3 shermans on the left embankment just outside of the deployment zone, and moving my first wave of infantry along the right hand forest to clear out the Germans in there. But no matter what, a few half track gunners get killed (that's because they open up in a forest, which is unadvisable to shoot from an unprotected turret within 100m range of the target), a few squads get slaughtered, and my leaders always seem to get struck by stray rounds and mortars. This last attempt I got to about 40 minutes on the timer (starting at 70 mins) before my force was about 3/4 strength. I feel like that's just unacceptable casualty rates. What is your advice on the mission, or for WW2 titles in general? I play Warrior difficulty in turn based mode.

I haven't played that campaign but I have read that it is pretty brutal and as the title of it implies you will get hit hard but you have to persevere. Reminds me of the Courage and Fortitude campaign in CMBN and the infamous School of Hard Knocks scenario where you have to perform a frontal attack on a narrow front, uphill, on soggy ground, through minefields, in the rain. I practically lost a whole company attacking that hill.

Anyway, as to WW2 tactics you'll have to find other ways to see where the enemy is (the MK I eyeball is just about your only option) if you're used to the modern titles and keeping troops in C2 is more difficult and much harder work, although the Americans do have an advantage over other nations when it comes to radios. In principle it's about making a recon plan to discover the enemies disposition and then try and execute that and make contact with the smallest possible force, I always send some scout teams ahead so casualties are minimised should you walk into an ambush or the enemy get a bead on you and start dropping indirect fire on their heads.

I'd recommend reading this post (the whole blog is worth going through if you have the time), it changed my approach when I read it years ago and I'm a lot more patient these days, probably too much so, as I used to move en-masse and try to move quickly too. https://battledrill.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-following-article-was-written-by.html

Back