Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMFI Rome to Victory mini campaign -- just about ready to go ahead

So there I was, all ready to go with a CMFI Rome to Victory fictional mini-campaign to blow the cobwebs off my CM playing and get back into it... then work and RL just gave me the big fat middle finger... sigh.

Idea was a fictional setting ... German delaying action against advancing Allied spearheads ... set in say August/September 1944.... using some of the new units in the module. Maybe myself and a two or three players -- hopefully similar time zones to speed up PBEM play.

Small-ish company size battle groups using QB points assigned to counter strengths -- also started to assign specific medium/large QB maps for each zone ... but then things spectacularly ground to a halt with work and RL chaos. :cry: :eek:

Maybe after Dec 20th when I finish work for the year (hopefully).

Riconetta-campaign-master sample test.jpg

Aw bugger -- just realised you can't mix Fallschirmjagers and German Army StuGs in a QB battle ... sigh ... back to drawing board a little bit.

View attachment 17576
Rico, you make such pretty counters. Would you mind making them available for us scenario makers? They would be of excellent use for making nice tactical maps in the briefing.

Aw bugger -- just realised you can't mix Fallschirmjagers and German Army StuGs in a QB battle ... sigh ... back to drawing board a little bit.

View attachment 17576

Still can work — will just have to have Germans stick to Army units.

Allies are ok - we can have rule that they can’t fight in same battle or zone.
Have pretty much same OOB’s anyway.

Last edited:
So, back to the drawing board ... and new version concept now done.

Campaign will be fought over zones each representing an assigned CM battle map.

Idea that it's a German delaying action between/around the fictional Levino and Samoggia rivers to allow their troops to fall back to new defensive lines after an Allied breakthrough.

Movement will be via the road connections between the zones, cross-country connections (green dotted line) or leg infantry-ONLY connections (white dotted lines)

Forces will be prebuilt reinforced Company battle groups (more on that anon) ... the QB limitations defeated me and I wanted a good variety of units involved.

On sample map we have the 1st Fallschirmjager company with StuG support defending Sontino against attacking A Coy, Cape Town Highlanders supported by Btn artillery and M-10 tank dstroyers from 11th SA AT Regt.

CMFI campaign-master NEW sample.jpg

So, after much deliberation -- here how I propose the units and counters work.

Each full strength infantry company will have attached (to allow for 3 strength levels and playability)
3 Hvy MG's
3 Med Mortar teams
3 AT guns (75mm, 6 pdr or 17pdr)

The three pips over NATO symbol indicate the rifle platoon strength: 3, 2 or 1.

Personnel casualties will be assessed after each battle and rounded up and down and number of rifle platoons removed to reflect this.

The three pips under the NATO symbol represent the support units.

Just remember: MMA

From left to right: MG (Hvy) Mortar (Med) AT Gun

The colour of the support counter pip indicates number of support weapons available (see below)

CMFI campaign units sample.jpg

With Tank/Stug/TD units the pips indicate the number of vehicles, usually starting from 4 to 6 per unit.

So FOW will be mainly in the on map deployment of units, not so much their strength.

More as I develop it -- hopefully by this weekend (RL willing -- good thing is today is may last work day for the year) -- I will ahve the CM map selections done.

Back