Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Combat Mission: Fall of the 3rd Reich - ROUND 2

Stafford

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Some great data there @Drifter Man , it does reinforce most of what I know about tank on tank engagements, although the ground level cover providing extra concealment was a surprise.

The movement thing makes sense, although I'd hoped in our recent engagement where my fireflies came off second best that they'd be more accurate over the range they were engaging at. Never got a chance to find out as they never spotted what was shooting at them!
I know the Kwk75/L48 is good, but I didn't think it would be that good at that range!

I guess it does reinforce the stats found from WWII, the tank that fires first wins four times out of five.

The battle of FALAISE is complete, with a Canadian total victory.
I surrendered after losing my last tank.

With both battles this round, which were mostly tank vs tank, I didn't even see my opponent's armour, except for a couple of very brief glimpses.
Across a variety of circumstances, I watched my tanks get destroyed without anything more than an enemy sound marker.
Fog sucks. Two of those tank kills I got by area firing where I thought your tanks were. I made my own luck there.

Despite such farcical buffoonery, I have decided to continue to play and re-learn the game.
Clearly I am out of touch with how to compete effectively, but I may be able to correct that with some practice.
Thanks for the encouragement to continue.
Good glad to hear it.

I used my tanks to respond to what the infantry heard and make sure I came from different angles whenever possible.

Concord

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Two of those tank kills I got by area firing where I thought your tanks were. I made my own luck there.

Wow I didn't think this was even possible in the game! Did they fire AP rounds, or High Explosive rounds by default? I didn't realize that firing at a sound marker could kill a tank! That's an important insight.

Wow I didn't think this was even possible in the game! Did they fire AP rounds, or High Explosive rounds by default? I didn't realize that firing at a sound marker could kill a tank! That's an important insight.
Yeah I've killed tanks this way a few times. Many moons ago I caught a moving PzIV where I knew where he was driving to and slammed a HE shell into his side. It was a thing of beauty! Be careful though, it can give your position away too. I usually only do it for 15 or maybe 30 secs, no more.

Gotta show a few pics of this, its just too kool! Regardless of my M10 being the victim, its somewhat rare!
Sniper mortar one shell shot enjoy! (a gift from the thunder god Zeus himself) :D

opjw2RS.jpg

ABQ79VC.jpg

cAqbiYk.jpg

@A Canadian Cat wow dude nice mortar sniper shot on my M10! Just one shell did it! Although now I'm gonna have to go kill that mortar crew. I was about to click cease fire after rolling up your farm, but now.....
LOL for once I had a lucky horse shoe handy. It was a shinning moment in an otherwise dismal battle for me. And yeah first round right in the bucket.

that mortar team must die! :devilish:
Bring it! No seriously they are ready to die now :D

Two more battle results in:

The German counter-attack recaptures SMOLENSK from the Belorussian Front with a AXIS TOTAL VICTORY!

Italy and SALERNO remain a tough nut to crack for the US 5th Army with the battle ending in a AXIS MINOR VICTORY!

Fall 3rd Reich Round 2 f.jpg

All battles on the Russian Front now complete with the Axis side having a pretty successful Round -- can they do as well in the south and west?

News just in from the Western Front: 3rd US Army scores a TOTAL ALLIED VICTORY and captures BREST.

Tinkered with the counters a bit...

1. Tank counter with yellow flash means ongoing battle
2. plain tank counter means completed victorious battle
3. burning tank counter means defeat/failed to advance
4. star counters captured (liberated) zones

Fall 3rd Reich Round 2 g.jpg

Last edited: