Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Combat Mission will appear on Steam and have sales

Bulletpoint

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Never thought I would see this happen, but BFC have finally agreed to sell CM on Steam, and even give some sales once in a while.

CMSF2 is the first title, so I won't be buying in at this time, because I'm not a fan of modern warfare .. but I really like this move on BFCs part.

Last edited:
Does that mean Steam will be handling the upgrades automatically!?
That just might get me playing again!

I believe so... I don't think there are any games on Steam that don't have automatic download and install of patches.

It's not that much work to patch CM games though... patches are rare as hen's teeth :)

Me neither. A total surprise... Cool, I hope it makes some people happy.

I've never really cared whether CM was on Steam or not.. I'm fine with manually patching. But I think it's good news, because I think it will open up the game to a much larger playerbase - leading to higher revenue, which Steve says will be invested in the game.

So I'm hoping this will provide the funding for continuing to evolve the game in a meaningful way.

So, at some point, I may be able to just save my mods folder, buy the games new and they will arrive all patched up?

Isn't that how things work now with the master installer?

Yep that IS how things work with the master installers.
Within 24 to 48 hours of a patch being released the master installers were updated
I don't do steam so this doesn't effect me at all
But waiting for the complaints of 'you want how much for a game released in 2015!!!'

You can be assured of that because your 20 years of support has allowed us the luxury to say "no". The fact that we said "yes" to Slitherine at this time and in this way kinda says it all.

This quote surely popped out at me. Sales must be tanking right now??

I think it's more a case of the guys at Slitherine managing to gain BFC's trust and sit down and have a chat about how games are sold these days.

A bit like some Japanese holdout finally being brought back to civilisation... yes he spent 20 years surviving in a jungle cave, and he learnt how to get by out there, but there's now a more modern way to live where you don't have to cut your hair with a bayonet.

Yeah, about that.
I am soo not fine with manual patching I simply gave up.
Of course, as usual, that is a me problem for which I am famous.
So, at some point, I may be able to just save my mods folder, buy the games new and they will arrive all patched up?
That sounds sorta ok.

You're not the only one. My brother quit playing with me because he had to manually patch his game and somehow ended up uninstalling it all together. Was a very sad day.

Very much looking forward to this, I've been wanting to get Shock Force 2 and I may wait until a sale.

What is the problem some people seem to have with manually patching any computer application?
I have been working with computers since 1985 and with CM games since 2007. Only one time I have had a problem patching a CM game and that was my own stupidity and not extracting a zipped file to it's own secure location before installing. Problem fixed in a minute.

What is the problem some people seem to have with manually patching any computer application?
I have been working with computers since 1985 and with CM games since 2007. Only one time I have had a problem patching a CM game and that was my own stupidity and not extracting a zipped file to it's own secure location before installing. Problem fixed in a minute.

I'm still with ya mate. I started in 1980 at a youngish age. I prefer to do my own patching.

This quote surely popped out at me. Sales must be tanking right now??
Wow you start out dark. I don't see how you made that leap.

I think it's more a case of the guys at Slitherine managing to gain BFC's trust and sit down and have a chat about how games are sold these days.
This is far more likely. Steve's big concern with Steam was the effort they would have to put in for an uncertain gain (yes I know many people are so certain there would be a gain but Steve wasn't...). Combined that with his previous poor experience with other distributors in the past I am certain that the motivation with doing this now came from his good experience working with Slytherine on the DoD project.

You're not the only one. My brother quit playing with me because he had to manually patch his game and somehow ended up uninstalling it all together. Was a very sad day.
Indeed. The full installers are a solution for people that have trouble with whatever is the trouble some people have with patching. It cannot get much simpler than uninstall and reinstall a full installer.

I'm still with ya mate. I started in 1980 at a youngish age. I prefer to do my own patching.
Indeed. It lets me have mutltple versions so I can play people with different installed versions. Some of us have to bridge the gap while games end and patches get applied.

I hope that it works out and brings more players into the game.

The games and DLC are quite expensive. The only thing that I did like about buying through BF was that I knew that I wasn't going to kick myself for buying the game at full price only to see it go on sale for 50% off later.

OK @eniced73 now you don't have to take my word for it you can see what Steve has to say:

Yeah, your most likely right. The deal is probably too sweet to pass up and more in their favor. Just seems like interest in the game is waning. Besides here you don't see much activity on BF or other sites like it used to. I don't know maybe I am just not looking close enough. Thanks.

I knew that I wasn't going to kick myself for buying the game at full price only to see it go on sale for 50% off later.

Yeah I am wondering how that will work too. That is the down side of sales. I suppose it depends on how much they discount. If its only 25% and I've been playing it for three months before the sale I probably would not feel bad but larger discount and or shorter time the feeling starts to change.

Back