Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Combat Mission

J

Jackack

I am interested in getting into the Combat Mission series. I have read about the different games (CMFB, CMFI, CMBFN and CMRT) and engines (CMX1, CMX2) with paid upgrades. Any suggestions on which one is the best to start on. I am leaning to CMFB because I have read a lot about that time frame on WWII. Also, can you create scenarios for human vs. computer play. Due to time constraints I am not into on line multi player at this time. Thanks

All the Combat Mission titles are a lot of fun IMO. I own all of them including CM Afghanistan. They all have their unique differences. Getting the title that you have the most interest in makes a lot of sense. They all have free demos.

If I was just starting out I might lean towards CMFI and all modules since it has the longest timeframe, July 1943 until the end of the war. The most nationalities, some early equipment, all four seasons. About the only thing CMFI lacks is tank riders.

Also, can you create scenarios for human vs. computer play.
Yes, you can. There is a scenario edtiro and there is also a QB system that lest you pick your own forces and a map and let the computer pick forces automatically. Working with the scenario editor takes some work but it can be a lot of fun too. Many players have created scenarios and shared them. You can find them here: Scenario Depot

Due to time constraints I am not into on line multi player at this time. Thanks
While real time play is possible most multiplayer games in CM are play by email (PBEM). Note people are using DropBox now and not actually using email but it still holds the name. Playing this way allows you to play your turn when ever you like and your opponets can do that same. I too have not a ton of time nor much flexibility but I pretty much only play PBEM.

Thank you for replying to my question on CM. I am definitely going to take the plunge, just trying to decide which one to start with. I am leaning toward CMFB, but CMFI does offer more options with modules. Wondering why CMBN and CMFI got modules, but CMFB and CMRT did not. Also,
I have been watching you tube videos on game play and scenario design. The scenario design does seem complicated. I am hoping to translate some Squad leader game scenarios into CM. I am new to computer gaming. My son introduced me to Graviteam Tactics and Men at War AS2. From my experience with these games I am hoping the CM series falls somewhere in between as far as game play and realism. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I will use FGM as a support system as I learn the CM system.

Question concerning the demoes. They all are running Engine 2 or 3 (checking out CMFB right now). The full version games are Engine 4. Is there much of a difference in game play? I would suspect the answer is yes, but how much difference?

Wondering why CMBN and CMFI got modules, but CMFB and CMRT did not. Also,

FB is the most recent WW2 release, hence no modules (yet). RT I think (?) is the next youngest, and a module is imminent (whatever that means in Battlefield's development timeline.....!)

I checked. Demo is Engine 3 version 1.01. Not a big deal. The demo gives you a good sense of the game play. Based on the videos I've seen on YT Engine 4 was a substantial upgrade. I did see talk in the forums about modules for CMRT and CMFB, both with battles for Berlin. Too much information is making my decision harder.

I checked. Demo is Engine 3 version 1.01.
Bummer - thanks for the update.
Too much information is making my decision harder.
LOL isn't that always the way. Break out a die and roll for it. At the very least if the decision really is equal it is a valid way to break the dead lock. If you find you are unhappy with the die roll results that tells you something about your true preference. :D

I am interested in getting into the Combat Mission series.
Go for it. As much as I notice all its flaws, CM is the best wargame I ever played.

Any suggestions on which one is the best to start on. I am leaning to CMFB because I have read a lot about that time frame on WWII.
Then that's the best one to start out with. All the CM games are basically the same game but in different settings.

The full version games are Engine 4. Is there much of a difference in game play? I would suspect the answer is yes
The difference is actually very small. Other companies would call 4.0 a patch.

I think you can't really go wrong with your first choice: I think CMFI and CMFB have the best looks (unmodded). CMBN probably has the most content, CMRT has Russians :).

Also have all CMx2 titles, modern & WW2, but it's hard to say one of them is better than the others. Pick what front holds your interest the most, I'd say.

Yes. I am going with my original choice, CMFB, due to subject interest. If all goes well, followed by CMBN, mainly for the Market Garden module. One last question, on the game download the Battlefront website states you get 2 additional downloads for computer upgrades or problems. They also recommend saving original download to a flash drive or other storage device. Is that necessary? Hopefully Battlefront isn't going anywhere.

I wouldn't really worry about it. I can still download the things I bought since 2008 orso, and have been able to install on new PCs over the years. If there's any issues contact the helpdesk.

I am up and running with CMFB. Really enjoying the game. Getting use to the UI and creating small quick battles as a way of controlling the action. Any recommendations on graphic settings (shaders) or Mods (visual or sound) to enhance the play. I did see a youtube on adding mods, but was hard to follow how he installed them into the game.

The scenario design does seem complicated. I am hoping to translate some Squad leader game scenarios into CM.
It takes a bit of trial and error to make scenarios. A good way to learn is to open a scenario you get with the game in the editor and save that with another name to use as a reference. I also think that you received a pdf file about making a scenario in CMBN when you installed the game which can be used to learn this. And there is a thread on this forum about scenario designing to help you.

Back