Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Commander - The Great War

SLIT_CTGW_Materials_Box_3D_170.gif

I see this is available now at Matrix Games -- anybody thinking of getting it?

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/385/details/Commander-TheGreatWar

The previous Commander World War 2 game was a lot of fun and very playable.

20121108120206.jpg

20121009225851.jpg

20121108120023.jpg

Ok, decided to treat myself and bought it ... downloading it now ... have a crack at it this evening ;)

Rico you are a newly wedd... Do you have time to play anything besides your wife? ;)

Looks very Panzer General II-ish. I like that in a game so I may have to get it, unless there is a scathing review from the Bootiemeister. I will put it on the Christmas list.

Fun game ... easy to play, although you need to give your moves and decisions quite some thought (no re-do button :)

Quiet a change of pace from our usual WW2 stuff ... and the AI is brutal and relentless.

... playing as Central Powers in the first PBEM vs Bootie -- so far so good, we've reached Winter early 1915 ,
Schlieffen plan failed earlier, but seem to have damaged British and French armies enough to be able to bludgeon my way through to Paris.
A heavy offensive by the Russians into Prussia was at last beaten off, but Koenigsberg is still besieged and holding out due to lack of Russian heavy artillery.
Russians concentrating in northern Poland has allowed the Austrians to take offensive into Ukraine and direction Lvov ... their only success ... the damn plucky Serbians are still holding out :-(
Turkey has entered the war and in a lightening offensive has managed to cross the lightly defended Suez canal and capture Cairo ...

Enjoyable, easy-flowing strategic level game ... simulates WW1 quite well ... you need to husband scarce ammunition resources ... lose too much manpower and national morale and the economy tanks ... with the Russians, if war goes badly enough national discontent triggers the Russian revolution ...

Cool game all round.

Bootie and I are now in spring 1916 ... the Russians are reeling with heavy losses, but still keep stamping armies out of the ground, but Kiev has fallen ... the Ukrainelooks doomed, although the treacherous Rumanians have just joined the Allies ... Bulgarian and Austrian troops scramble to hit them hard. At least we managed to finally eliminate Serbia with Bulgaria's entry into the war.
The Turks still have control of Egypt and the Suez canal ... the long awaited British invasion there has never materialised, and a Turkish task force has even captured Tobruk and is now heading for Benghazi, all undefended by italian troops.
A sea-saw blood-letting continues in the Alps ... have to keep in mind not to let the Austr-Hungarians get too worn down.

After a year's slogging and trench stalemate, looks like we have a breakthrough at last into the Allied gun lines and on the doorstep of Paris!

Heavily invested in the U-boat campaign ... so far a great disappointment until now when I finally did some significant damage to British trans-atlantic convoys.

We slo onwards ... great game ... Bootie also gives it a mention on his blog http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/wordpress/?p=64#comment-7

Bootie and I have now reached fall of 1916 and the great news for the Central Powers is that due to catastrophic manpower and territorial losses and economic collapse, the Russian people have risen in revolution and the interim Revolutionary government has offered surrender terms. (all this a year early -- Huzza!!)
The Eastern front really got moving after Austro-Hungarian and Rumanian forces crushed Rumania and finding the Ukraine virtually undefended, have advanced deep into southern Russia, capturing the Crimea, Kiev and even Rostov with spearheads crossing the Don river.
Up north, German armies advancing from the Riga area have also managed to capture the Russian capital Petrograd, which also bombed by German battleships.

In the northern Turkey/Caucasus region heavy fighting still continues between Russian armies and Turkish forces ... although we are a little mystified why these troops weren't withdrawn to defend the Russian heartland.

The Turks still hold the Suez canal, Cairo and have even sent expeditions along the coast as far as capturing Benghazi and Tobruk ... no Italain troops seem to be defending their N. African colonies.

The Italian front is pretty much static with grinding low-level attrition trench warfare.

The Western front is also pretty static trench warfare with a steady drain of casualties due to the Allies preponderance in artillery and manpower there ... but German divisions are still on the Seine threatening Paris! Also hoping that all the Allied attacks have been slowly bleeding the Allied manpower reserves dry (in this game excessive manpower losses severely penalise the countries' economies)

The U-boot war has not been terribly successful so far ... time to recall the flotillas and modernise and upgrade them.

Let's see how the Russian surrender plays out and let's see how long it'll take for me to make the weight of the Eastern armies felt in France and Italy.
(hope the Yanks stay at home :) )

Great game! -- I'll try and remember to take some screenshots next turn )

them it´s worth the price? many things to manage? like WITP War in the Pacific our a very simplified WW1 game?

HAAHAH lost it, great, Im thinking seriouslly to purchase it this month looking to play PBEM games. that´s all the fun to me

Great this month will have it. Looking ahead to play it with PBEM for sure. thx for the info about guys.

Back