Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Competition Ideas

Gunner

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
With the US Census complete, at least on my end, I am once again retired and a man of leisure sitting at my computer thinking about different ways of playing CM.

With the Gary Owen Cup coming to an end and what seems to be only one multiplayer game going on I was thinking of different ways or types of competitions to play.

I'm not sure if there is much interest here anymore in such things but please post what you think either positive or negative or an idea of your own.
(Maybe I should start a poll?)

Competition Ideas

Tournaments

1) A Tournament with scoring similar to the Gary Owen idea only with Axis vs Allies, One Team Axis and one Team Allied.
All small Quick battles.
Maybe Attacker or Defender can have a choice of 4 QB Maps.
Everyone to play 2 Quick battles at the same time. One attack one defend.

2) Some kind of CMFI tournament where everyone plays two QB scenarios on two different maps (out of a choice of several?), one as Allied and the other as the Italians. (Not many games are played as Italians and it may just open your eyes to their capabilities.)

3) Have four of the best scenario designers create scenarios and play a tournament with them

Multi-player Thoughts

I was thinking on trying a multiplayer game also.
Using the Twin Villages from the Master Maps I thought of doing a scenario/campaign in “leaps” for lack of a better term.
This would require a moderator(s) and/or a scenario builder(s).

Off the top of my head it would go something like this....

First Thought

Easy Idea

A moderator chooses a map and marks possible reinforcement locations.
Each commander of a multiplayer (2 or 3 players (or more?)) scenario chooses their sides units, reinforcements and arrival locations.
Moderator creates a scenario in the unit editor using both side’s unit picks and reinforcement allocations and arrival points.

More Complicated

Start
Decide on how many points each side gets as core units.
Decide on how many points each side gets as reinforcement’s. These points will be divided over the course of the campaign with max points per leap. Example: if there are 1000 points allowed for reinforcements and the plan is to have four leaps or a 2 hour campaign that’s 250 points per leap. The points could be rolled over to the next leap if, say, a tank platoon wanted to be purchased.

First 30 minute leap
Create a scenario using the editor
Get troop picks from each commander.
Probably something simple like a whole Battalion few additions or subtractions, most with same experience/fitness etc…
Start at 100%
At the end of 30 minutes both side call a ceasefire and send the last file to the moderator(s) to determine the casualty rate.
For this example say each side loses 20%

Second 30 minute leap
Create a scenario in the editor using the same core starting troops only now at 80% reflecting the losses in the first leap.
Have commanders decide on full strength reinforcements using the allotted points where their arrival will be at one of several predetermined locations. These now become part of the core units.
Create start zones reflecting where the 1st leap ended.

Third leap
Kind of a repeat of the 2nd.
Core units depleted as per the ceasefire.
Reinforcements added
Start zones updated

Fourth leap repeat.

Ideas?

I like the ideas, but I am horrible at Quick Battles as I always mess up my 'purchases'. Too bad there isn't a way to play small, dedicated scenarios.

But there is. :)

One of the tournament options is to have scenario designers design four scenarios, if that's possible and there's still scenario designers out there.

And thanks for responding. (y)

Now see, I would play in a tourney like that rather than quick battles, as I can't get my forces constructed correctly. I figure, designers know what their doing and I should have the assets given to me to succeed.

Hi Bootie.......as long as I don't have to worry about purchasing my forces, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring.

Back