Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Considering starting a WW2 campaign

Hello Good Men,

Like a necromancer's shenanigans, this campaign is being revived. :devilish:
I want to outline my plan for it, and see if interest is still there.

I will be basing this first BB campaign on the Lvov-Sandomierz Offensive, which was taking place at the same time as famous Operation Bagration, in July 1944.

I have the rules mostly done (thanks to @Nathangun and @Rico for their systems).
The battle maps are all ready to go (huge thanks to @Panzer_Kraut for his magnificent work in gathering them all from far afield!), and I am working on the map and counters.

I expect to be up and running in a very short time frame indeed.

Due to Real Life, I will being taking every effort to streamline it...both for the players, and for me the Game Moderator.
I will be cutting some corners to make it work, but I think that it will be done in such a way that we can all enjoy the tactics of pbem CMRT and the strategy of playing in a large campaign, all within our busy lives.

Post #124 (page 7) on this thread shows my draft rules from last year. I will refine these over the next couple of weeks and post updates.

I will be adding some flavor to them...but also cutting some complexity.

One of the biggest decisions I'm making at the moment is to remove fog of war. Although it is a fun addition to a strategy game, the time needed to supply each side a different map each turn (all the while over 50 company counters swarm around each other) is a time-eater. My arm could still be twisted, but I think that for this first iteration of BB I will keep it lean.

I will be borrowing from @Bootie 's campaign, by adding some 'flavour' to some of the battles. Unexpected (but fairly minor) twists. I won't be making cards for these, and neither will they be random.

I will be making rules for what can and cannot be purchased during battles. All troops will be stock-standard regulars, and all vehicles will be extremely common (low rarity). However, there will still be elbow-room for battle commanders to customize their forces for battles.

So is there still interest in this? Are players able and keen to partake? Let me know if this is true, and I will forge ahead rapidly. If not, then I will put it gently back on the shelf. :giggle:

<snipped>
One of the biggest decisions I'm making at the moment is to remove fog of war. Although it is a fun addition to a strategy game, the time needed to supply each side a different map each turn (all the while over 50 company counters swarm around each other) is a time-eater. My arm could still be twisted, but I think that for this first iteration of BB I will keep it lean.
<snipped>

Keep it lean. Keep it simple. Good administration is demanding and difficult. I doubt members will lament that strategic Fog of War is absent as long as the matches themselves are balanced and fun.

Unit counters are ready.
If this campaign goes ahead, I will export each of the unit counters (all with their individual unit designation: Regiment - Battalion - Company number).
I will place them on the map in a Photoshop document, so they can be moved around the board as turns progress.

counters visual copy.jpg

Map is basically ready.
Always an option to refine or even start from scratch again.
There are 7 major towns which will be the victory objectives, 9 minor towns, and several villages (might add more of these).

Brigade Battles Hexdraw map 01 visual.jpg

(all town names are from the names of WW2 Polish fighter aces)

Unit counters are ready.
If this campaign goes ahead, I will export each of the unit counters (all with their individual unit designation: Regiment - Battalion - Company number).
I will place them on the map in a Photoshop document, so they can be moved around the board as turns progress.

View attachment 17644

Very cool looking.

Would suggest differentiating the three numbers for easier reading -- like make the Regt number Italic etc.

Lots of room, lots of battles.

Here is the new official sign-up thread for anyone else who wants to join:

Back