Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Cool History Stuff

Good effort Rico!

Ive just started reading it... interresting so far.

I haven't read it in many years -- what I remember it was pretty dry and mostly an understated version of "I am a military genius and everything went perfectly according to plan"... oh, and there were American allies too. :p

But those maps were very cool.

I think maps in history books have actually gone backwards in terms of readability and quality.

Gloster Meteor F8 "Prone Pilot"
The 'prone position' Meteor F8, a significantly modified fighter jet, embarked on a unique mission in the early 1950s to explore the benefits of piloting in a lying down posture, aiming to mitigate the effects of gravity. This innovative approach was initially seen as promising for two main reasons: it could potentially reduce the aircraft's frontal area and drag, and it was believed that pilots could better withstand high g-forces in a non-upright position—a crucial factor as jet combat speeds escalated.
The Bristol Aeroplane Company, recognizing these potential advantages, proposed incorporating a prone pilot position into its design for a rocket-powered fighter, the Bristol Type 178. To test the viability of this concept, the RAF Institute of Aviation Medicine required a jet that could be operated by a pilot lying prone. Thus, Meteor F8 WK935 was modified for this purpose and began testing with the Institute in late 1954.
After fifty-five hours of flight tests, the conclusion was that while flying in a prone position was technically feasible, it was practical only if aerodynamic necessities demanded it. The aircraft was never flown solo from the front cockpit. Ultimately, advancements in aviation suits that could counteract g-forces presented a simpler solution, leading to the abandonment of the prone position cockpit concept.

1711006651705.png

Back