Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Crusader Kings 2 free on Steam

Crusader Kings 2 - like heroin to strategy gamers!!!

I owns it all but know myself well enough to not play it yet. I Figure we could lose a month of CM turns to it whilst minor things like work wouldn't have a chance. (Yes WE both "remember" the "Morrowind Incident" and the physical destruction of a PC was nearly required over CiV 4)

Well a non-FGM guy I reached out to said they changed it to 9.99 even though he swears he was under the time limit wire. I got it for Free Friday, so I posted. Sorry if some of you guys didn't get there in time.

'Jonesing' I must have lived a sheltered life, not come across that one before but yes I can't get off the bloody thing.

Marrying off daughters, sisters, bribing foreign chancellors, arranging alliances & non aggression pacts, assassinating nobles whilst trying to not get assassinated by my gluttonous lesbian wife, dying, starting again as my 2 year old heir, going mad whilst trying to fabricate a claim, oh crap Scotland have just forced a claim against me, losing a county, inheriting a county in another country!?!, winning a county, creating a Duchy, yes I'm a King!, dying again, changing succession laws, everyone hates me, everyone loves me, having an affair with my 19 year old courtier, now my sister's trying to kill me, need more friends, lets get an alliance, need to marry off my daughters and around we go again....

'Jonesing' I must have lived a sheltered life, not come across that one before but yes I can't get off the bloody thing.

Marrying off daughters, sisters, bribing foreign chancellors, arranging alliances & non aggression pacts, assassinating nobles whilst trying to not get assassinated by my gluttonous lesbian wife, dying, starting again as my 2 year old heir, going mad whilst trying to fabricate a claim, oh crap Scotland have just forced a claim against me, losing a county, inheriting a county in another country!?!, winning a county, creating a Duchy, yes I'm a King!, dying again, changing succession laws, everyone hates me, everyone loves me, having an affair with my 19 year old courtier, now my sister's trying to kill me, need more friends, lets get an alliance, need to marry off my daughters and around we go again....

Just another week in the life of a CK2 player...sounds like a TV series. Wait, you could call it "Game of Thrones..."

Its a fun game. I usually spend most of my energy trying to breed with Geniuses and Strong people to build the ultimate warrior only to have them get hacked down in their first war.

One thing I really like about this game is the shift in perspective that I have playing as a lowly Irish count. In most other grand strategy games I typically pick a British Isles kingdom or tribe to play as and Scotland is usually an early game target and is pretty easily dealt with.

Not so with this game!

In the grand scheme of things Scotland is hardly a world power and would likely lose if the English went for them, however, for the first time playing a strategy game Scotland is proving to be a real challenge. I am struggling not to be overwhelmed by them. I have worked my way up to become the ruler of a petty Irish kingdom (basically a glorified Duke) and have a bit of clout in my small corner of the world, but relatively speaking Scotland is a behemoth and I need to try and maintain amiable relations with the Scottish King whilst trying to ally with France & England to help deter any Scottish Dukes eyeing up my small realm.

What a game!

One thing I really like about this game is the shift in perspective that I have playing as a lowly Irish count. In most other grand strategy games I typically pick a British Isles kingdom or tribe to play as and Scotland is usually an early game target and is pretty easily dealt with.

Not so with this game!

In the grand scheme of things Scotland is hardly a world power and would likely lose if the English went for them, however, for the first time playing a strategy game Scotland is proving to be a real challenge. I am struggling not to be overwhelmed by them. I have worked my way up to become the ruler of a petty Irish kingdom (basically a glorified Duke) and have a bit of clout in my small corner of the world, but relatively speaking Scotland is a behemoth and I need to try and maintain amiable relations with the Scottish King whilst trying to ally with France & England to help deter any Scottish Dukes eyeing up my small realm.

What a game!

Sounds like a hard road as a single Duke but that makes for a lot of fun and reward. I usually go for Kingdom of Ireland or the Isles before trying for Wales or Scotland. Its always a battle to get and then hold either of these.

Have you picked up many of the expansions?

Not so with this game!

What a game!
Well as soon as you have s son and name him Patrick, then help him run all the snakes out of Ireland, you’ll be golden.

I have the recommended ones that are listed "essential" on sale after getting the game when it was offered up for free.

I bought the Old Gods DLC with the base game, most reviews were very positive about it. Some of the others look pretty good and once I get more competent with the base game I'll probably get some. Any recommendations welcome.

The main ones I have used and liked are:
- Way of Life
- the Old Gods
- Charlemagne

I have a few of the others but never had a chance to get into them. I have tried the Mongols a few times with Horse Lords but it just doesn't seem to ever click for me. The Republic sort of plays around on the fringes of your game if you are not a Republic and adds some additional interest.

Usually best to try and wait for specials on Steam to buy these. ;)

The main ones I have used and liked are:
- Way of Life
- the Old Gods
- Charlemagne

After my first playthrough as an Irish count with the Old Gods my only complaint was the lack of end of game information and detail so I've now bought Charlemagne which at least gives a chronicle to scan through at the end. Now I've started a new playthrough as the Earl of Surrey in the year 769AD. I've weaselled my way up to the mighty title of King of Kent and am keeping a watchful eye on Wessex and Mercia whilst forming alliances with smaller Anglo Saxon, Welsh & Irish duchies as well as getting some Frankish Dukes on side.

Back