Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Crusader Kings III has a release date

Yep, noticed it.. Probably will wait till they patch it a bit though, going by what Josey Wales said about the game being a bit too easy currently.

It's way too easy to get vassals, other rulers and family members to like you. There are so many tools at your disposal to raise opinion in others that you'll quickly have multiple characters with 100 opinion of you. In CK2 it was difficult to get even one character to like you this much.

I like playing tribal but as I can keep all of my vassals in positive opinion really easily, no one ever revolts or challenges my authority and this gives me access to huge armies that I can use to steam roll over opponents.

There is a new DLC released-Northern Lords that has been well received. It focuses on the Vikings. There is also a new update that everyone gets and it adds seasons. I'm going to have to try both out.

The DLC is pay, but I got it free. I think it was because I pre-ordered.

How is it going for you? Are your kingdoms and grand duchies expanding to cover half the map or are you more into trying to play without expanding too much and become as large as the Roman Empire?

@BornGinger with the latest release I'm unable to load my older saves but Paradox are aware of the issue and I expect a patch fairly soon.

Up to that point I've been enjoying the game. I have a long game running which I started off as an Irish count in 867. I worked my Mordha dynasty up to become Kings of Ireland and eventually expanded to hold half of Scotland and the north of England under house Mordha by the early part of the 12th century.

At that point I decided to Feudalise and then I left the game for a while having felt as if I'd accomplished my goals and 'beaten' the game, I came back the game a few weeks ago and continued that save. I had a quick recheck of my situation and saw that I had a lot of allies and concluded that I was in a good position.

Then England declared war! They had a much bigger military than mine at this point but I thought that I was ok due to my powerful allies. Then I realised I couldn't call my allies because they were either vassals of the English king or allied to him. Isolated, I watched my armies and holdings get decimated and lost all of my territories in northern England.

Sensing weakness, the Scottish (Alba) attacked and I faired badly against them losing all but one of my counties in Scotland and becoming bankrupt in the process. My King died at this point and his son was crowned. This was all too much for my vassals who rose up and deposed me, reducing my character to a mere Duke after centuries of majesty.

I waited for many game years until the new King was weak then through military prowess and diplomatic skill my character rose up against the pretender to install the rightful Mordha dynasty back on the throne. It worked and the crown was reclaimed. The only problem now was that the pretender had enacted the 'Elective Gavelkind' law which meant that my sons would not necessarily inherit my titles upon succession. I tried my best to ensure they would, but upon the death of my character, a new king was 'elected'. Luckily the new king was of my dynasty but was from a different house and so Mordha - Pendraig are now the Kings of Ireland and the Mordha's reduced to wandering princes.

So have you been looking from the background how the Kingdom has been divided from different wars between relatives and by attacks from other lords while playing someone else?

I used to do that in CK2. Build up a large Kingdom or Empire and later on start playing a count or small duke somewhere else to see what the AI does with what I had built up. Sometimes it stayed large for a good while and sometimes it quite quickly got split up from civil wars and attacks from other lords.

Unfortunately sleeping on the job in my line of work has some rather nasty consequences...

14449719.jpg

Back