Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

DAR CMFI "R2V Too Close For Comfort" Kraut vs JP48

K

Kraut

On a freezing and foggy morning in late November 1944 Kraut and his men are sitting in their trenches. A few moments ago there had been rumors about that commands being shouted in German language had been heard from the other side of the riverbed. Maybe the Germans commanded by JP48 will probe our lines?

briefing1.jpegbriefing2.jpegbriefing3.jpegmap.jpegtrenchsystem.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
As I have already fought 2 Battles against (with) JP48 and therefore I have got some valuable experience gained about how he commands his troops, as he also has.

In my experience he considers his responsible commands very well and cares about the well being of his pixel soldiers.
Because of that I do not expect a rushing attack and I assume that he will recon my position first.

The view from the Allied defender. This scenario and map has been designed by @Ithikial
allied side.jpeg

Awaiting the enemy and being protected by two wooden bunkers connected to a trench system.
trenches.jpeg

09:03 a.m. (after 3 minutes). The battle will be fought until 09:30 a.m. No shots fired and no contacts.

0903.jpeg

Two Teams from the 2nd Squad are located in foxholes ahead of the main trench defend line. They will be the first to get under fire. These poor fellow soldiers have to trust that I will find a way and the right moment to let them retreat into the trench system. Until then they have the important task to spot the enemy.
I do not know exactly how they can retreat safely. 2nd Squad / C Team has smoke grenades which could be helpful, 2nd Squad B Team has none.foxhole.jpeg
(with Juju's fantastic UI mod)

09:05 - 09:06 a.m.
Enemy Infantryman has been spotted by 2nd Team / B Squad of the 1st Platoon. Immediately they opened the fire.1.png2.pngmap.jpeg

I am not sure if there are Scouts, or if there are more this close. It is still foggy

09:08 a.m.
The situations is getting difficult. An enemy Platoon is advancing on my left flank. They get supported by two heavy MG's. After about 2 minutes firefight I had 3 casualties and nearly all of my troops involved are suppressed. I now ordered all suppressed troops to hide in their entrenched position. The enemy had fire superiority. Also to make things even worse both bunkers can not shot in this direction. Either JP48 has been lucky to take this approach, or he had spotted my positions very well and chose this approach at the western flank carefully. As I have already experience playing with JP48 I think it is likely the second one...1.png

09:10 a.m.
The wooden Bunker on my left flank had been hit and destroyed by a mortar shell. Unfortunately all soldiers inside that Bunker did not make it.

I expect an enemy charge in the next minutes. The enemy has at least one Platoon close to my entrenched troops. All units in the western part are hiding, because the enemy has absolute fire superiority. My plan is to wait until the enemy is charging my trenches and in the last second I will try to give order to all units to unhide and defend. The biggest problem would be the right timing!
But I am very pessimistic. I am quite sure that JP48 will penetrate the defense in the west and then move along and inside the trench system and roll all my defense up. This is a very smart tactic.
map.jpeg

09:15 a.m. (5 minutes later)

First I have to admit that I have discovered that my wooden bunker did not have been destroyed by mortar fire, instead the bunker has been hit and destroyed by a Panzerschreck rocket. That mistake snows how important it is to watch the replays meticulous. I revisited the replay and saw this and followed the launched rocket:
1.png

Maybe it has been a bad idea to place the 1st Platoon HQ inside the wooden bunker. I thought this would be a safe place, but it is also an easy to spot location and important target to attack for the enemy. Because 1st Platoon HQ has fallen and 1st and 2nd Squad suffered many casualties the morale has sank dangerously low.
m.png
Enemy spotting rounds have fallen way of the expected target and fallen dangerously close to the Germans. On the left map border there are enemy infantry approaching. The infantry can in this area approach while covered through forest. My left flank had been weaken and will not be able to resist an assault. Since 09:12 a.m. I gave up the hiding tactic, because I rethought this tactic that could entice an enemy assault on my trenches. Instead I hope to scare off an enemy assault as. long as possible. The remaining time is 15 minutes.
I also noticed that unfortunately I do not have a coherent tactic in defending these trench system.

09:20 a.m. (5 minutes later)

The enemy tries to get into my defense trench system. Until now the break in into the trench system could still be prevented.
1.png
Situation overview 09:20 a.m.
m.png

Situation at 09:24 a.m. (6 minutes left)

The Germans have entered the trench western trench system.
1.png
Situation overview:
map.png
The intel for the western trench system is low information (no or bad spotting possibility). Some of my units are running out of ammo and have been ordered to take new ammunition from inside the last wooden bunker. The green line represent how I think (low intel) the frontline could be.

09:30 a.m. The battle has ended with an U.S. Army Minor Victory. I would like to thank @JP48 for this good game.

f.pngf1.png

It's a tough one for Jerry but looks like you ran into ammunition problems as planned. :D It was a big way in preventing the scenario being just a sit there and have a turkey shoot when playing as the defender.
images

Hope you enjoyed the fight. Planning a mirror match? Any feedback?

The map looks fantastic and also the atmosphere feels realistic. The first turns waiting in the foggy forest, divided by a riverbed - fantastic!
Also the defender has a realistic trench system at the right place (behind the riverbed - open ground) with two wooden bunker connected to the trench system.
I have been a lot in the woods (forest) and experienced the nature, seasons and light condition by myself. The immersion has been very good.

For a DAR I maybe should have had chosen the attacker side, as it could be more to write and tell.

The scenario looks for me nearly balanced, but I have to admit that if @JP48 would have had time left to push through (inside) the trench system, my forces would have collapsed, because they had been in very bad shape and mood. I lost my Platoon HQ very early as a Panzerschreck rocket had hit the wooden bunker. I think @JP48 played it very well and spotted the weak point of my defense and approached there cowered by the woods and made entry into the trench system, but he ran out of time. The time limit is well chosen, so that the defender has a chance to win.

We have been talking to play it maybe again and switch the sides.
I can recommend this scenario and thank @Badger73 for creating it!
Edit: I meant @Ithikial.

Back