Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Daring US Parachute Assault - Corregidor 1945

@steve wow I never heard of this one. Some amazing footage.

Some observations.

Man those paratroopers come down hard! They try and roll away some of the momentum. I found myself wincing, watching their landings. OOF.

The Japanese banzai charges. Bushido bravado?? While it must have been terrifying to be attacked by one, they hardly ever seemed successful! And with huge losses. You'd think they'd rethink them. But no.

What is it with the nasal sounding American narrators from that time period? They sound like they have a serious cold. Or a kazoo stuck up their nose. Maybe it was just one guy that narrated ALL the stuff!

And lastly...those officer uniforms. They are pretty absurd looking. Massive ass. Belt line up around the naval, so their upper body looks really scrawny. Just sayin!

@steve wow I never heard of this one. Some amazing footage.

Some observations.

Man those paratroopers come down hard! They try and roll away some of the momentum. I found myself wincing, watching their landings. OOF.

The Japanese banzai charges. Bushido bravado?? While it must have been terrifying to be attacked by one, they hardly ever seemed successful! And with huge losses. You'd think they'd rethink them. But no.

What is it with the nasal sounding American narrators from that time period? They sound like they have a serious cold. Or a kazoo stuck up their nose. Maybe it was just one guy that narrated ALL the stuff!

And lastly...those officer uniforms. They are pretty absurd looking. Massive ass. Belt line up around the naval, so their upper body looks really scrawny. Just sayin!

I wonder how much time they spent training for low height parachute drops (if any)......coming down that fast from only 500 ft in windy conditions must have been a bloody nightmare!! I'm sure some of them must have been lucky not to have suffered broken legs/backs on landing.

The Japanese had absolute belief in what they were doing, and that sacrifice was an honour to their emperor as we all know - so well documented and the Americans in particular paid a heavy price in human lives during this war because of it.

The narrator is typical of the era, and British commentators were also rather "upper class" in their tones when reporting - I guess it's the same the world over when these events were happening, Pathe newsreel reporting is a prime example.

Gen Douglas MacArthur did look a bit ridiculous but such was the fashion of the day.

Steve

@steve

Interesting observation. To my American ear, the film commentators sound typical for the broadcasting style of those times whether by Army Signal Corps or civilian journalists; a sort of terse gravitas reminiscent of Edward R. Murrow.

Wow. I never even heard of this battle. The entire Philippines campaign did not get much press compared to the island hopping campaign (e.g., Iwo Jima, Okinawa, etc.).

I noticed in one of the scenes, the parachutes on the ground were spread all over the place, including over an edge and down the slope.
It said that some of the paras missed the small drop zone, went beyond the cliffs, landed on the beach, and were picked up by PT boats.
Can you imagine being in one of the planes and dropping on the third pass?

Man, some of those guys hit the ground *hard*. Especially that guy who crashed into the side of a wall of dirt. Splat!

And then he bounced up and started collapsing his chute.

Back