FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
You think the pak bunkers are bad.

I just looked and you can get a Panther turret for 50 points.

So yes there is plenty of ways to get a advantage that is pretty one sided if you look for it.

Sorry, just from a guy that think QB point systems are a joke. (Always will be since they cannot be adjusted by the players)

DoubleD

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Do we need to talk about Pak Bunkers? :rolleyes:
From my perspective I don't think so at this point. With a different plan I may have been able to defeat the defence. As a probe I got just over 2,000 points and @MeatEtr must of got around 1,400. I had 9 Shermans, an armoured car and some scouts. Axis had 2 bunkers, a couple of Pzr IV and an assault StuG. So that's 5 versus 9, I had almost double his firepower but I was unable to apply it so tried something a bit left field to try and flank the bunkers rather than go toe to toe. I couldn't get LOS, perhaps if I'd smoked up the bunkers I'd have had more success getting around them. I think I also need to get better at hull down.

It would be good to get @MeatEtr 's perspective, he's a seasoned and very capable player so I'd value his view.

@SlySniper has a point on the Panther turrets for 50 points. I don't know the rarity though

Rico

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
From my perspective I don't think so at this point. With a different plan I may have been able to defeat the defence. As a probe I got just over 2,000 points and @MeatEtr must of got around 1,400. I had 9 Shermans, an armoured car and some scouts. Axis had 2 bunkers, a couple of Pzr IV and an assault StuG. So that's 5 versus 9, I had almost double his firepower but I was unable to apply it so tried something a bit left field to try and flank the bunkers rather than go toe to toe. I couldn't get LOS, perhaps if I'd smoked up the bunkers I'd have had more success getting around them. I think I also need to get better at hull down.

It would be good to get @MeatEtr 's perspective, he's a seasoned and very capable player so I'd value his view.

@SlySniper has a point on the Panther turrets for 50 points. I don't know the rarity though
Cool .... I think the Panther turrets are a bug and don't show up if you buy them? ... and completely a-historic anyway for the period.

Hapless

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
I'm on the fence.

On the one hand the attacking player can choose the weather conditions and- if he so chooses- go in at night or in thick fog or whatever, which would go a long way to rendering AT bunkers useless.

On the other hand, if I wanted to be gamey as hell, I would bring along an AT bunker, whack the crew up to fanatic motivation and sit them in the objective where they would be very difficult to kick out. Maybe surround them with AP mines and wire so they enemy couldn't close assault them...

Rico

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
I'm on the fence.

On the one hand the attacking player can choose the weather conditions and- if he so chooses- go in at night or in thick fog or whatever, which would go a long way to rendering AT bunkers useless.

On the other hand, if I wanted to be gamey as hell, I would bring along an AT bunker, whack the crew up to fanatic motivation and sit them in the objective where they would be very difficult to kick out. Maybe surround them with AP mines and wire so they enemy couldn't close assault them...
True ... but then what would be the fun in that?

Hapless

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
I guess it would depend how much fun you think it is to win. I'd much rather some move and counter-move than "Here is a giant concrete bunker that you can't flank and can only knock out with a lucky hit. Have fun with all the open ground."

In terms of points and rarity I'd argue bunkers are far too cheap.

MeatEtr

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
wings76@windstream.net

Yeah I think bunkers are fine and both sides get them. I like the Pak ones better since they get 50 HE shells while the 57mm Allied one has all 100 shells being AT. (but AT still kills infantry) Best way to overcome them is off map 81mm used for smoke. Better than on-board since you can use the entire ammo as smoke. This could of rendered my bunkers blind for nearly the entire battle.

Then of course if you gotta few tanks to spare, mass fire from at least 2-3+ tanks per bunker and that should kill them. So in this case, 2 Pak bunkers vs 9 Shermans should equal to roughly 2-5 dead tanks to 2 KOed bunkers. I havent ran tests or anything, but thats my guess. And of course Lady Luck plays a role here too, I've seen bunkers get destroyed by a single HE shot. Other times they seem impenetrable.

Also and in this case especially, since my bunkers stood on top of an OZ impassible to AFVs, bring along a single sapper/engineer squad for satchel charges. Although I think regular grenades can kill the occupants of a bunker, just cant destroy them.

Gunner

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
1 game.
Email
tramos1@optonline.net
Cool .... I think the Panther turrets are a bug and don't show up if you buy them? ... and completely a-historic anyway for the period.
True. You can purchase the Panther Turrets but they will not show up during set up on the map - definitely a bug.

MeatEtr

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
wings76@windstream.net
@Rico Announcing Axis attack out of Tunis Rd. into Dejebel El Guessa. :shootero:

Shout out to any other Axis player thats been sitting out! I havent sat out yet so am willing to give this battle to whoever. ;)
(you just better not lose it LOL :D)

AXIS
@Rico
@Nathangun
@Nort
@MeatEtr
@Sgt Grunt
@Gunner

Rico

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
@Rico Announcing Axis attack out of Tunis Rd. into Dejebel El Guessa. :shootero:

Shout out to any other Axis player thats been sitting out! I havent sat out yet so am willing to give this battle to whoever. ;)
(you just better not lose it LOL :D)

AXIS
@Rico
@Nathangun
@Nort
@MeatEtr
@Sgt Grunt
@Gunner

cool - was going to do map update this evening - Axis do indeed have first call on this challenge.

Rico

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com

Badger73

FGM SITE OVERSEER
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
None.
Email
mvangroll@msn.com
Let's move on with the campaign.

Allied attack into the TUNIS ROAD sector has been defeated -- Axis get a Initiative Status and @MeatEtr has posted a challenge for counter attack into the DJEBEL EL GUESSA sector.

We need an Allied player to step up as defender.

View attachment 18035

AXIS
@Rico
@Nathangun
@Nort
@MeatEtr
@Sgt Grunt
@Gunner

ALLIES
@Badger73
@Paleolithic Monk
@SlySniper
@Hapless
@DoubleD
@Wellsonian
Go ahead and take it, @DoubleD. I'm not able to jump in at the moment.

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
I'm starting to get why the Allies attack in the dark......

For the same reason the real troops did it. - Darkness changes range engagement distances, that takes away many advantages some weapons have over others.

In modern warfare, the advantage can be massive if only one side has the high tech equipment to take advantage of.

I am not a huge fan as to how the game does darkness, but it does change engagement distances for sure and provides concealment that normally would not be there.

Gunner

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
1 game.
Email
tramos1@optonline.net
OK, I got an idea what to do next time.
This scenario was set at Dusk I thought it would have a longer LOS than night.

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
it does have longer los, if its set to night, it can become a joke as to the units being on top of each other and not seeing a thing