Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Donning The Purple - Roman Civil Wars (FOG II tourney concept) - thread closed

Over lunchtime today I fiddled a bit with my CM2 King of the Castle concept and adapted it to a Field of Glory II tourney idea.

Same concept -- one player sits on the throne in Rome wearing the imperial purple as the Reigning Caesar -- while a set of rival claimants claw their way up through the ranks in a civil war... to earn the right to become the Challenger who takes the Caesar on directly.

Donning The Purple sample.jpg

All FOG II battles would be medium-size Roman vs Roman (for variety players can chose any time period from early Republic to late Empire... including Byzantines)

Would still need to figure out who would set up battle parameters (I guess in case of the Caesar vs Challenger battles, the reigning Caesar would have that privilege)

I don't know if we have enough FOG II players active at FGM these days -- we'd need a minimum of EIGHT to make this work.

I would certainly play as well. (starting to enjoy FOG again after my hiatus)

Never played this before, but thought I'd have a peek and the FOG series is on sale at the moment. However, at 60% off, the whole bundle is still $57. :oops:

Hypothetically, what would be needed? The original FOG2 and the Medieval DLC?

I think FOG II: Medieval might be a stand-alone expansion:

Over lunchtime today I fiddled a bit with my CM2 King of the Castle concept and adapted it to a Field of Glory II tourney idea.

Same concept -- one player sits on the throne in Rome wearing the imperial purple as the Reigning Caesar -- while a set of rival claimants claw their way up through the ranks in a civil war... to earn the right to become the Challenger who takes the Caesar on directly.

View attachment 21964

All FOG II battles would be medium-size Roman vs Roman (for variety players can chose any time period from early Republic to late Empire... including Byzantines)

Would still need to figure out who would set up battle parameters (I guess in case of the Caesar vs Challenger battles, the reigning Caesar would have that privilege)

I don't know if we have enough FOG II players active at FGM these days -- we'd need a minimum of EIGHT to make this work.

I would certainly play as well. (starting to enjoy FOG again after my hiatus)
I like the concept, but not too keen on the "players can chose any time period from early Republic to late Empire... including Byzantines" part: too anachronistic in a Roman civil war tournament for my admittedly too rigid and non-flexible brain. :)

And I didn't understand why eight people are needed? So one tournament first to decide who's emperor, with eight players starting in an elimination structure?

I like the concept, but not too keen on the "players can chose any time period from early Republic to late Empire... including Byzantines" part: too anachronistic in a Roman civil war tournament for my admittedly too rigid and non-flexible brain. :)

And I didn't understand why eight people are needed? So one tournament first to decide who's emperor, with eight players starting in an elimination structure?
It’s just a fun competition of “King of the Hill” (not to be taken too seriously - but one could leave the Byzantines out.)

Eight players eventually as we start with four in bottom tier.. two winners then fight for Caesar top spot... four new challengers can immediately slot in underneath in bottom tier to fight their way up... while Caesar then sits on his throne as long as he can, swatting away upstarts and usurpers who challenge his place on the imperial throne.

Thread closed -- if interested, sign up here:

Back