Engagement 12 - TF Rhodes vs TF Masyaf (Syrian Briefing)

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
Usually plays single player.
Player: @Vartuoosi
Communal Password: Hope
The save game file is with your opponent. Unknown opponent at this time but they should be in touch shortly.

Note: Engagement number just makes my life easier with the record sheet, don't worry that the numbers don't line up on your end.
++++++++++

Primary Mission - Hold any NATO advance and cause as many casualties as possible.
Secondary Mission - Nil.

Terrain - Map 10, an urban centre. (Get ready for MOUT).

Friendly Forces - Your taskforce at 50% strength and it's only the sheer fanatical anger that is keeping them in place. Mobs of angry militia from the city have bolstered your forces. They are largely untrained fighters but have donned some semblence of uniforms and share the same fanatical rage as the regular army personnel. Given this appears to be the only place NATO has decided to attack, all available support assets are also on station to support the attack. They will be in contact within 5 minutes. In addition a number of IED's and Spies are also on station to assist in holding NATO at bay. (Note: There are 3 wired IED's with one trigger man).

Enemy Intel - Unknown but you hear the sound of vehicles to the east.

Weather - Conditions are hazy following the overnight fighting and artillery use. The temperature is warm. The wind has picked up a little in the morning.

Civilian Presence - Is sparse with many fleeing the heavy fighting overnight.

Vartuoosi

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Are we underway here? Battle progressing well?
Yeah, looks like we've got at least a turn per day turn rate going on.
Probing by the enemy so far, though looks like the first decent push just started against my forward harassment positions on the left flank. Lost few men here and there but my marksmen have been free to fire while the local jihadis draw the fire and have been able to get couple of kills as well.
Biggest success from my troops so far was when AT-14 took out a 4 man fireteam. Also had a SPG-9 put several rounds to a building which was pretty packed with marines but couldn't confirm any casualties.

Vartuoosi

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Slow and methodical advance from the Americans with both sides suffering a one or two casualties here and there (my troops taking a bit more of the hurt, no big suprise) until the last few turns.

Things began heating up with the SPG-9 that took out the AAV-7 earlier killing a MMG-team.
Little later an AAV-7 moved up and tried to lay fire on the SPG-9 team but was fired upon by an AT-14 but the derps operating the missile sent it completely off course and bullseye'd a friendly PKM-gunner (he was completely out of ammo so no big loss). But this apparently spooked the AAV and it backed into cover, right near a position that was now shelled by my arty and where it took a direct hit from a 122mm HE shell. Unfortunately I don't have eyes on the position so I can't confirm if the vehicle is knocked out or still at least somewhat operational.
Last turn the earlier AT-14 team redeemed themselves a little bit by putting a couple of missiles on newly occupied US positions causing at least 4-5 casualties and an infantry squad made a ~250m RPG shot which hit another AAV. Two crew members bailed but the vehicle isn't marked as knocked out. The hit was by the rather anemic PG-7VL round, so it's possible it could be re-crewed and still be somewhat usable.

Interestingly enough so far I haven't encountered US fire support other then couple short mortar strikes.

rocketman

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Guess the NATO forces caught heat after the last battle for extensive use of arty on civilian areas, so now they are weary of that. How many turns remain? Will you hold on to any objectives?

Vartuoosi

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Guess the NATO forces caught heat after the last battle for extensive use of arty on civilian areas, so now they are weary of that. How many turns remain? Will you hold on to any objectives?
Totally forgot to reply to this post.
There's around ~50 min left and if this is the level of pressure the my opponent is going to keep exerting than I can hold. Though judging by the amount of troops I've seen, I'm fairly certain that he still has some kind of reserve he hasn't committed yet(or his task force is severely depleted but I most definitely am not making plans with that assumption in mind).
Also the team-killing AT-14 team took out another AAV-7. That's 2 confirmed, 1 probable, and 1 possible armored vehicles taken out.

Vartuoosi

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok, my opponent is asking for a cease fire. Probably a good idea to accept since if we keep going rest of the battle is either both of us just sitting around running out the clock or I start pushing and that'll just result in unnecessary casualties with no guarantee of further success.
I'll give you guys some time to give feedback if you so desire.

Recap of what's happened since my last post.
The enemy has seemingly abandoned the advance on my right flank. Though they were able to re-crew that one AAV.
Marines shifted their focus to the center and especially to the left flank. It seems though that they are cautious about moving up at the center and are using the positions there to provide fire support for the troops moving up my left. The enemy probably isn't pushing at the center because the tightly packed buildings provide a lot of close quarter ambush opportunities for me. I also have that area wired to blow with the IEDs, so good move on their part.

On the left flank there are more long and clear lines of fire so the Americans could better leverage their more effective long-range fire and vehicle support but I accounted for that and didn't even try to bother defending some of the forward buildings but rather set up my defense a bit in the back so these buildings would block the line of fire from most of the buildings the Amis would use for fire support, all the while my troops still have line of fire on areas where the Americans would have to cross if they wanted to make it to those buildings.
And that set up worked. Two AAVs were brought up and one of them got blown up by an AT-14, the infantry that tried to cross between the buildings got caught in the open and forced back with couple of casualties. Then the building where the infantry had retreated got a double dose of thermobaric RPG rounds causing more casualties. All this time the American MGs and other troops providing support for the advance couldn't fire on my positions effectively.
After that my artillery began to shell the marine spearheads.

Earlier I mentioned I hadn't seen any signs of a possible reserve but by now I caught a glimpse of troops moving at the very far end of the map to the left flank. No idea at this moment what those troops are or how many there are. It could be just mortars moving up(mortars were already moved up on the right) or an actually a somewhat more serious force.

And that's about where we are at the moment.

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
Usually plays single player.
As I posted on the NATO forums if you both agree to the ceasefire then send me the final file and we can push to have the next campaign moves done before Christmas. Ta.

rocketman

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
A bit of info for the team: I'm going to have extensive neck surgery in March for a neurlogical problem that can't be solved any other way. I will have to perpare a lot before it and will be away for at least a month. So either I sit the next one/two missions out or you find a sub for me. If someone takes my place, can I please still read threads as I want to know how the campaign progresses.

olaf

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
schmolywar@gmail.com
A bit of info for the team: I'm going to have extensive neck surgery in March for a neurlogical problem that can't be solved any other way. I will have to perpare a lot before it and will be away for at least a month. So either I sit the next one/two missions out or you find a sub for me. If someone takes my place, can I please still read threads as I want to know how the campaign progresses.
I can

Vartuoosi

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
CM Shock Force 2 2019-12-23 03-03-31-46.png
Here's the results.
The vast majority of my casualties were confined to the locals who rose up in arms after NATO bombed the town instead of the battlegroup proper and I didn't lose any heavy weapons.

And just to rub some salt on the NATO wounds during the last couple of turns one more AAV was taken out and 3 prisoners taken.
CM Shock Force 2 2019-12-23 03-06-33-69.png

@Ithikial I sent you an invite to the dropbox folder.

Bootie

FGM OWNER
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
greershane@gmail.com
Good luck with the surgery pal.