Engagement 17 - TF Delphi vs TF Homs (Syrian Briefing)

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
Usually plays single player.
Player: @Vartuoosi (or someone you nominate).
Communal Password: Hope
The save game file is with your opponent. Unknown opponent at this time but they should be in touch shortly.

Note: Engagement number just makes my life easier with the record sheet, don't worry that the numbers don't line up on your end.
++++++++++

Primary Mission - Both NATO and Syrian forces have been caught out of position and must move quickly to consolidate the urban area. Syrian forces are to sweep the map from east to west.
Secondary Mission - Nil.

Terrain - Map 14.

Friendly Forces - Your mechanized infantry force is at full strength and artillery support will be available in 15 minutes. Local residents and fanatics are already on site setting up IED's and observtion posts.

Enemy Intel - Limited. Expect a mechanised force to enter from the south of the map.

Weather - It has become it is still warm in the evening son. The weather is clear.

Civilian Presence - After heavy fighting over the past 24 hours the ruins of this city are deserted.

Vartuoosi

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Nothing fancy here, a meeting engagement, just try to grab some good positions to hold and bleed the enemy from.
Homs has plenty of firepower since it's a mech TF, that means BTRs, T-62s, 120mm mortars, good amount of infantry and Shilkas for AA or direct support.
The vehicles are probably best used in keyhole-positions and to shoot and scoot.
And since we are facing the Canadians there's no need to fear Javelins.

Vartuoosi

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Almost 20min in and so far things are going okay. The Canadians took a wait and see attitude for the first 5-10 minutes which allowed me to spread my infantry on BTRs all the way to the northern part of the map in peace. My infantry were in a decent positions when the enemy started to advance and there were several small firefights with their scouts. Both of us traded couple of infantry casualties here and there.
On the north I had success with the T-62s, the enemy moved a pair of APCs to watch over the more open areas there and after some jockeying for firing positions and dealing with stone walls stronger than any modern armor, my tanks were able to nail both APCs.
It looks like the Canadians are doing a major push to the south and then I expect they are gonna swing west towards my setup zone.
Also turns out that the 120mm mortars are going to be of limited use since they have 460m minimum range they can fire only on very limited parts of the map.

Vartuoosi

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Oops. I fucked up the last turn. Totally forgot to give orders for one of the T-62s in north and it got nailed by a TOW-vehicle.

Vartuoosi

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Quite a lot has happened.
Canadians pushed hard at south and initially things didn't seem to go my way. It started with the most inept close-quarters firefight between my PKM team and the leaf point team. Ton of rounds expended on both sides with no casualties caused, fight ends with my isolated PKM team surrendering. Next four APCs move up and stay in open within easy range for RPGs and I order several RPG teams to engage but none of the shots hit and return fire kills two of the RPG teams. Worse yet fire from one of the APC's caused a building to collapse and that building had my FO team in it. Fortunately my mortar battery HQ team also has access to the 122mm fire support.
Things turned around though, my troops were able to catch two four man teams out in the open and those were wiped out. And I got other RPG teams to fire at the APCs in south and destroyed three of them, with the last one retreating. One more APC was taken out at the central part of the map. This allowed me breathing room to recover those lost RPGs. On the flip side I lost two BTRs in the meanwhile.

So it looks like the enemy thrust on south has stalled for now at least.
I'm getting bit paranoid here though because I've had no indication of NATO arty or air support so far even though we've had access to our support assets for quite a while.

Vartuoosi

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Well never mind then. Just got audio on a inbound helo. I still have all my AA-assets in play so we'll see how this shakes out.

Vartuoosi

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Twenty minutes left on the clock.
Those air attacks came, three choppers have shown up so far. They got few of my BTRs before my Shilkas got a lock on them. After a couple of minutes of non-stop firing the Shilkas downed one helo and forced the others to break off. The Shilkas used up all their ammo in this.

Next up my 122mm arty began a heavy barrage on the block of buildings in south east part of the map, where those Canadian troops pushing south were holding. The arty ravaged the buildings and got a direct hit on a vehicle of some kind hiding behind the buildings judging by the extra explosions and the smoke from a fire that's still burning. While this was going on Canadian infantry pushed into a block of buildings at the center of the map leading to a large inf vs inf firefight. I quickly moved up my BTRs and achieved fire superiority with their heavy machine guns. During this extended firefight I lost only couple soldiers while I witnessed at least two teams worth of enemy go down one by one. I also shifted the 122mm fire to this position, which leveled multiple buildings. Haven't heard a peep from that position since then.

By now the two choppers had come back and and started to strafe more of my BTRs and even though I still had two Igla teams they refused to engage. Turns out that in this buggy ass game shoulder launched SAMs can't fire from rooftops. So those helos had a free reign for a while and knocked out more BTRs and immobilized a T-62. But eventually I decided to move those Igla teams to the ground and they knocked out both of the helos. Still have two missiles left in case more show up.
Canadian artillery also showed up and the arty strike ceased recently but those rounds ended up being wasted. I moved my guys out of the target area(in the south) as soon as I saw spotting rounds coming in and all the strike did was briefly panic couple of the slower teams. The enemy took no action during the strike or during the lingering dust clouds, which severely limited my troops line-of-sights.

In the map I posted previously you can see a walled compound occupied by the enemy form a sort of a knuckle pushing towards the northwest.
The action during the last few turns has been there. Couple of my squads covering that compound suffered moderate casualties and I've been harassing the compound with 120mm mortar fire constantly. Recently I've brought T-62s to also lay HE in there and one of the building occupied by the enemy just collapsed, so hopefully more dead NATO there.

Overall this battle has been going well. After the initial jockeying for positions the Canadians haven't really been able to make advances and have suffered plenty casualties and confirmed loss of six APCs and three helos. I've also got losses but nothing crippling, the BTR losses (6 IIRC) at the moment are sustainable since I got so many of them and most of my infantry squads have suffered only 1-3 casualties, with only couple of the worst hit squads at half strength.

Vartuoosi

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Combat Mission Shock Force 2 Screenshot 2020.07.11 - 13.19.54.22.png
Here is the end screen. I call total fucking bullshit on NATO tactical victory or any kind of NATO victory at all.
My infantry losses while decently sized are bearable(and same amount as the enemy's), most of the losses are BTR's. I missed couple of the BTRs taken out by the helos in the last post so with the loss of one to a CG and few more to arty the total came to 15 lost BTRs. The three other vehicles lost are 3 of my 4 UAZs. The loss of that one T-62 is unfortunate since it was completely avoidable on my part. 2 T-62's are perfectly fine, 1 T-62 had tracks damaged otherwise operational, all the Shilkas, MANPADS', mortars and ATGM-launchers are operational.
The NATO losses are significant. Over half of the men in the TF are dead or wounded, half of their APCs are smoking wrecks (plus one total mobility kill, mortar round took out its engine) and the cherry on top; 3 Apaches shot down. That tank loss is actually a TOW armed LAV but the apparently it's counted as a tank because BF is retarded(that was the mystery fireball caused by the 122mm').

map 10 end lines.jpg
Here are the lines at the end of battle. My troops hold half of the map while NATO forces pulled back into two separate blocks of buildings. The lighter blue arrows are where they pulled back from.
Forgot to take a second screen shot and CM keeps having hissy fits with any capture software I try anyway, so I just doodled on the pic of the map I posted previously.

I really don't get the ROE NATO had on this battle. I earlier mentioned that I was getting paranoid since no arty or air support showed up for a long time. Holding the helos back makes sense since you want a chance to take a look around in case you can spot and take out possible AA but my AA didn't come as a surprise to the enemy. I used one of the Shilkas to lay a short burst of fire on NATO occupied building before pulling it back and my opponent sent the Apaches in anyway ~5 min later to be BTFO'd.
The arty only started after the helos were downed and lasted until the end, targeting south-western half of the map mostly along my main line. So why didn't he bring in the arty earlier if he was just gonna spray and pray with the arty ayway? Did NATO set some rules about using arty on build up areas and the TF commander just said "fuck it" after his attack was blunted? NATO has leveled several city blocks and villages full of civvies with heavy arty already so why stop now?
It is a mystery.