Engagement 5 - TF Lesbos Attacks TF Al Raqqah (Syrian Briefing)

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
Usually plays single player.
Player: @rocketman
Communal Password: Hope
The save game file is with NATO forces. A Canadian Cat is your opponent.

++++++++++

Primary Mission - Hold the advancing NATO forces and prevent them from taking the map. If the NATO forces occupy all three objectives your forces will be forced to withdraw. You can request a ceasefire at any time.
Secondary Mission - Nil.

Terrain - Map 6, an isolated small town situated in a valley.

Friendly Forces - Your taskforce is at full strength. Additional AAA assets are also a part of your command. Your Commanding Officer has directed all possible artillery support to your assistance to repel the enemy. They will be in a firing position in five minutes. You have limited forward observers that have a direct communications line to the artillery.

Enemy Intel - No direct intel but you can hear the sound of a many heavy engines approaching from the south. They have crested the hill and you make out LAV's and Leopard MBT's. They are exposed for the moment but there is considerable firepower they can bring down to bear across the town.

Weather - Conditions are clear and the temperature is warm. The wind is light from the north.

rocketman

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
The briefing stated Leopards and LAVs cresting the hill overlooking the town. I had put all my ATGM units in the back so that they would have a chance for atleast one shot. I hell broke loose on the first turn. My BMP-1s started to die like flies. Some got ATGMs off but most missed. I managed to take out three LAVs in the following turns. Unclear if all their infantry was dismounted or not, but the infantrymen I have spotted seem distressed. My rear area is being pummeled by arty and a lot of valuable mortar units are lost, so is one Shilka. I suspect he might avoid the town altogether as it has no objectives and will go around, especially on his right with Leopards and Coyotes. I hope I can bag a couple in some kind of ambush.

@Ithikial : the arty assets, if unused will they remain for future battles?

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
Usually plays single player.
Just FYI - Not going to rush current battles from my end as GM. I'm getting slammed with RL at the moment (work, helping mate move interstate) so feel free to take your time.

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Good to know as turn rate from my oppo has been slow. Nothing much to report from the battle other that he is tossing arty on me while sitting back waiting.

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Some action in my battle: as I feared he is bypassing the town entirely and push his Leopards and Coyotes forward. But I was prepared with ambush positioned BMPs. Problem with them is that the TC needs to be unbuttoned to fire and guide its ATGM. Had a shot at a Leopard but the TC was killed mid-flight so it missed. Another shot missed. A third shot hit home (lower front hull), but the Leopard shrugged it off. However, I took out two Coyotes. One hit was aimed at another Coyote, but hit and killed one unspotted in front of it instead. I'll take that :)
I hope he is getting second thoughts about this approach to buy me some time. I still have very few infantry contacts so they might be lurking about. I have no FOs in position to bring down all that arty I have on his position.

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
We're on about only one turn per day pace. His attack seem to have stalled. Bagged another LAV with a 350 m RPG hit. Curious how he will handle the situation going forward. Almost no infantry contacts. Hope they were all loaded on the LAVs.

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
It has continued to be slow going from my oppo so only one turn per day. 30 turns to go but right now I only have a few desperate chances to knock out a LAV or some infantry. Then I might cease fire.
Note: the absence of an objective in the town that dominates the map has created an odd battle. My oppo is "edge hugging" his entire force, first along the axis of advance and now along the objectives. I have pretty much just been sitting back getting annihilated.

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Desperate times calls for desperate measures - I'm calling in all the arty I have left on my own positions. We're going down in flames. But so did a LAV that got hit and burst into flames. I think some infantry got hit as well. And also, my sole surviving ATGM, one man, exhausted, wounded, broken and with only one missile, managed to get into position and bagged a LAV. The Canucks probably regretted coming this way :shootero:

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
@Ithikial Just five turns to go, so this will be over soon. Almost got another LAV but the ATGM exploaded under it just causing some tire damage. Desperate 500 m + RPG shots now. Looks like my oppo has settled for just one of the three objectives unless he makes a mad dash.
So I just post the AAR screen here when it is over?

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
And so the battle comes to an end:

I ended up getting 10 LAV III kills. And 45 casualties. Perhaps the NATO side only needed one objective because he had many units in a backup role that could have been used to get all objectives. But we got the win!
For future battles we should try to avoid combat at night. The NATO night vision equipment gives them a upper hand that is hard to deal with.
Now I'm going to lick my substantial wounds for a while ...
@Ithikial : I will send you a invite to my Dropbox folder so you can check the final turn.