Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Ever-Green League: now launched! Interested to join the already joined?

kronenblatt

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hello guys. I've got an idea for a "constant" league, based on challenging each other along a table/ladder, fighting battles, and switching positions (depending on battle results) as well as always switching army lists with each other (yes, always, after battle, independent of battle results) to create variety over time.

"Only" requirement (in addition to playing in a timely manner) is to maintain a social aspect through talking and chatting during the games, no silent players and no mere abbreviations, this is for fun, with only a light competitive element attached to it.

Rules as they currently stand in draft format:
Player undertakings and commitments
Players undertake to play with such a turn frequency that a game is completed within three weeks from the challenge having been made.
Players undertake to pick up a challenge within one week after it having been made, and failure to do so for two challenges in a row will result in exiting the league (and potentially re-enter in the lowest position).

Preparations
Every player will at outset hold a position in the table, the position depending on the Digital League rating of the player.
Every player will choose an army list to start with (later to be exchanged with other players in the table).

Ongoing
A player can challenge another player up to three positions above or below him.
A player can challenge the same player twice in a row, only if at least one of the two players have concluded a game in between the two challenges.
A player can challenge a player who he was last challenged by, only if at least one of the two players have concluded a game in between the two challenges.
A player can only challenge one other player and needs to conclude that game before making another challenge.
A player already challenged and not having concluded that game cannot be challenged until that game has been resolved.
Thus, a player can be involved in maximum two ongoing games at any point in time; one for which he made the challenge, one for which he was challenged.
The victor of a game takes the higher of the two players' current positions (not necessarily the ones had when the challenge was made), the loser the lower.
In the event of a draw or a tie, players keep their positions.
Once a game has been concluded, the players exchange army lists with each other (independent of the game's result); each getting the current army list of the other player (not necessarily the one he used in their game).

Battles
Battles are made in Large Map Size, Open Battle Scenario, Pot Luck Map Type, and with 1600 FP, subject to adjustment as follows:
- The player in the higher position will get 50 FP subtracted for each difference in positions, i.e., get 1550, 1500, or 1450.
Up to one reroll of the map is allowed, but only if both players agree to the reroll.
The player making the challenge can decide whether his army list uses any ally (from the standard list of allies for that army list), while the player being challenged plays without any allies.

What do you guys say? Could be fun?

Last edited:
Thanks for feedback! The idea is not at all to commit indefinitely (however, while being in the league to commit to the "Player undertakings and commitments" for the sake of respect to other players' time) but to be able to enter and exit the league at your own desire, and then if you want to re-enter to be free to do that at a later stage too (at the lowest position in the league of course). Hopefully the league will over time consist of a number of active players, which is basically all that is needed in order to get some nice MP and chatting out of it. :)

I also like to have separate leagues including only army lists that covers certain years; say one league with 300 BC, one with 300 AD, and one with 900 AD. Just examples. Then at least time period wise (if not geographically) the games are historically plausible (yes, my disturbed sense of "good order" ;) ).

Last edited:
Im up for this

Great! So now we're two...! :)

Any preferences or ideas on the years to pick army lists from? Or would 300 BC, 300 AD, and 900 AD be roughly fine? (I'd like to get years with as many army lists in as possible, creating a nice diversity of army lists to choose from.)

<snipped>
Once a game has been concluded, the players exchange army lists with each other (independent of the game's result); each getting the current army list of the other player (not necessarily the one he used in their game).
<snipped>

I don't quite understand what this means. Would you mind explaining further? Thanks. o_O

I don't quite understand what this means. Would you mind explaining further? Thanks. o_O

OK, no probs.

Simple situation
Say that you have Arab Conquest 638 AD and I have Rus 960 AD. You challenge me, and the game between your Arab Conquest 638 AD and my Rus 960 AD commences.
When our game gets concluded, you get my Rus 960 AD and I get your Arab Conquest 638 AD (the army lists that we have at the time when the game tle is concluded).
In the next game I then fight with Arab Conquest 638 AD and you with Rus 960 AD.

More complex situation
Say that you have Arab Conquest 638 AD and I have Rus 960 AD. You challenge me, and the game between your Arab Conquest 638 AD and my Rus 960 AD commences.
While our game rages, you get challenged by Olaf who has Bulgar (Danube) 852 AD, and thus your second game between your Arab Conquest 638 AD and Olaf's Bulgar (Danube) 852 AD commences.
Your and Olof's game gets concluded before yours and mine, so you get Olaf's Bulgar (Danube) 852 AD and he gets your Arab Conquest 638 AD (the army list that you had at the time when that game was concluded).
Shortly thereafter your and my game concludes too, and you then get my Rus 960 AD and I get your Bulgar (Danube) 852 AD (the army list that you had at the time when our game was concluded).
In our next games, I then fight with Bulgar (Danube) 852 AD, Olaf with Arab Conquest 638 AD, and you with Rus 960 AD.

=> So basically you fight with the army list that you have when the challenge is made, and you give away the army list that you have when the game is concluded (and you receive the army list that your opponent has when that game is concluded). Which is normally the same army list, unless you've concluded another game in between (and thus received another army list in return for giving away your original army list).

This is in order to allow for a player to fight two game at the same time.

Did that answer your question?

Last edited:
Yes. Basically, a sequential (not simultaneous) mirror-match. Understood.
Yes and no. Because if your Arab Conquest 638 AD battles my Rus 960 AD, and we switch army lists after our game was concluded so that you get Rus 960 AD and I get Arab Conquest 638 AD, we cannot challenge each other again immediately but at least one of us must have one game concluded in between, and then the army list that we received will have been switched again to the player's army list whose game we concluded (much like the more complex Olaf situation).

Great: so Badger73 is in too, in addition to Olaf/Schmolyvar and myself! :) And with the four people in the Slitherine forum (so far) brings us to 7 people. Anyone else? Such as for example @Wellsonian?

Like the idea but I do not have the time to be involve in such a things. Maybe later :) enjoy

So we'll run three different year tables: 300 BC, 500 AD, and 900 AD. Some food for thought until we get started: these are the army lists to choose from, one for each year table later on (and no duplicates, i.e., no army list can be selected by two or more players), as army lists to start with (later to be exchanged after concluded games, as per rules above :) ) :

EDIT: I went with the years 300 BC, 500 AD, and 900 AD (i.e., 500 AD instead of 300 AD).

Ever-Green League - available army lists.png

Last edited:
I have made my selections on the Slitherine site. I'm going with Spartans, Franks, and Anglo-Saxons. Since I have just wrapped up my digital league season (did well in Late Antique, not so well in Early Medieval), I have free gaming time, so this is well timed.
Hey @Badger, fancy a classical antique battle? I'll even let you use your digital league army.

I have made my selections on the Slitherine site. I'm going with Spartans, Franks, and Anglo-Saxons. Since I have just wrapped up my digital league season (did well in Late Antique, not so well in Early Medieval), I have free gaming time, so this is well timed.
Hey @Badger, fancy a classical antique battle? I'll even let you use your digital league army.
Excellent: many thanks, Wellsonian!

Back