Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Fall of the 3rd Reich: Screenshot thread

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen a 75mm shell punch through the front of a concrete bunker like that, even at close range. @MeatEtr, you got some Irish blood in you? I've already got the conscripts pulling on the ropes of the second bunker, the go-cart wheels are squealing but hopefully it'll start rotating WOW style.... Now, where was the damn firing button for the Nebelwerfer.
I could be wrong but I swear remember reading about hits on bunkers that penetrating shots dont actually mean it went through the concrete. Kinda like a ricochet into the inside. That first shot looked like it hit the gun killing the crew. I could be wrong though, I dont use them often nor do I fight them often either.

Sure don't blame you for using them though, my other battle vs @Paleolithic Monk my 75mm PaK gun was spotted and abandoned by small arms fire. It got off only a single HE shot.

P.S. No Irish blood in me, at least I dont think so! ;) Only Native American, Italian, and Norwegian!

Paleolithic Monk

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Ahhh, the sunny farm of Casa Marini, bread-basket for the local village, known for miles around for their pickled onions.

View attachment 23363

The quaint seaside village of San Lazzaro, winner of the Ciambella bake-off 3 years running. Also home to the largest rabbit in southern Italy.

View attachment 23364

It was a tough map to defend. And a tough map to attack too I think.
Not tons of options for defense as far as terrain goes, and quite an open approach for the attacker.

I bought a veteran Grenadier company and two Panzer 4's.
Bumped up a couple of snipers to crack to squeeze the last points.

In hindsight, I think I need to get out of the campaign mindset and get a bit more creative with tourney purchasing.
Wow! I’m battling @MeatEtr on that map as the attacker, but it doesn’t look like that. Guess I’m too “hearts and minds” when thinking about reconstruction after the war.

Concord

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
I will avoid any spoilers for those still playing this round...

@Stafford put considerable thought into his purchases and got a combined arms force.
But he played to the Commonwealth strengths (artillery) and took advantage of the terrain too.
It is quickly apparent that the defending ground is pretty open, without too many places to hide, while the attacker has a high ridge near the back.
I even kept my 2 tanks in cover behind buildings for most of the game and they had to relocate several times as Stafford destroyed my cover.
It felt like I was under constant bombardment throughout, from artillery (on map...and off-map?), direct firing Sherman tanks from the ridge, and a simply delightful 105mm Priest.

What a beaut! Look at those muscles! :whistle:

priest.jpg

Here's an interesting one from my battle with @Paleolithic Monk.
Looks like this machine gunner was caught on the hop and hasn't had time to redeploy.
He emptied the magazine of his pistol at my guys like it was a western cowboy movie.

pistol.jpg

Stafford

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Those houses and outbuildings were about to fall down anyway, I just helped them a bit.... :sneaky:

That priest was probably my best asset, not only did it clear old buildings for reconstruction post-war (you're welcome, local inhabitants), it also took out one of Concords Pz IVs with accurate HEAT rounds.

Concord

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
P.S. No Irish blood in me, at least I dont think so! ;) Only Native American, Italian, and Norwegian!

That sounds like an interesting story!
There was a bar at the outpost, and in walked a Native American, an Italian, and a Norwegian... ;)

I have enough Canadian Iroquois blood in my veins to make a land claim.
Must look into that one day. Retire, leave my family and friends behind and live like Grizzily Adams. :D

DoubleD

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Website
www.youtube.com
OK, my go-cart wheeled bunkers were a waste of concrete..... Why I hear you ask, you're probably not asking but I'll explain anyway. I faced bunkers, what I thought were behemoths, before playing you @MeatEtr in the Tunisia campaign and in my current AI Campaign, Lions of Carpiquet, and I struggled to scratch them let alone punch through at close range with 76mm Fireflys. YOU, Mr @MeatEtr, managed to put 75mm shells through them like they were made of Lego, :cry:, so I tip my English hat to you Sir.

It's kind of a good thing, WHAT!, at least they're not an I WIN purchase. Back to the drawing board Double, get that dunce thinking cap on and look at German steel, not French concrete, next time.

bunker 1.jpg

Bunker 2.jpg

DoubleD

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Website
www.youtube.com
Just 75mm? Wow. Look at that neat little hole. Next time, don't select the inflatable bunkers, eh?

I think you should get kudos at least for very aesthetic placement of your bunkers.
They look like they were designed to be right there in that very spot and were built years ago. :)
They were mother beautiful bunkers, someone had them negative waves :mad:

Paleolithic Monk

FGM MEMBER
Well, unless I get an extremely lucky shot in soon, the Allied advance at Salerno might be halted. My Pixeltruppen are facing a Tiger and 2 additional PzKpfw IVs. Must have run into an armored company!

@MeatEtr has recreated the bank robbery scene from Kelly's Hero's. The cat took a direct hit to the face from my Sherman and retaliated in kind, with predictable results.
MTRvsM 5.JPG

MTRvsM 6.JPG

OK, my go-cart wheeled bunkers were a waste of concrete..... Why I hear you ask, you're probably not asking but I'll explain anyway. I faced bunkers, what I thought were behemoths, before playing you @MeatEtr in the Tunisia campaign and in my current AI Campaign, Lions of Carpiquet, and I struggled to scratch them let alone punch through at close range with 76mm Fireflys. YOU, Mr @MeatEtr, managed to put 75mm shells through them like they were made of Lego, :cry:, so I tip my English hat to you Sir.

It's kind of a good thing, WHAT!, at least they're not an I WIN purchase. Back to the drawing board Double, get that dunce thinking cap on and look at German steel, not French concrete, next time.

View attachment 23378

View attachment 23379
Ok gotta say something f*cking weird happen! I dont know what KOed that bunker, dont think it was the Priest since I just moved him over to smoke it. I did NO AREA fire orders at it either, just smoke. At first, two tanks refused their smoke targets and reversed. Gotta smoke shot off the next turn and appeared the bunker did fire and miss my Sherman! Gotta go back a turn and see what killed it. As of now, I only saw smoke shot at it and surely that wouldnt of killed it! :eek: o_O

Stafford

FGM MEMBER
Ok gotta say something f*cking weird happen! I dont know what KOed that bunker, dont think it was the Priest since I just moved him over to smoke it. I did NO AREA fire orders at it either, just smoke. At first, two tanks refused their smoke targets and reversed. Gotta smoke shot off the next turn and appeared the bunker did fire and miss my Sherman! Gotta go back a turn and see what killed it. As of now, I only saw smoke shot at it and surely that wouldnt of killed it! :eek: o_O

If it was a WP round that can definitely KO it. I had a marder get hit and brew up from a smoke round fired from a Sherman a while back.
Though you gotta be very lucky, as you can't directly target objects with smoke rounds.

If it was a WP round that can definitely KO it. I had a marder get hit and brew up from a smoke round fired from a Sherman a while back.
Though you gotta be very lucky, as you can't directly target objects with smoke rounds.
Yeah it had to of been this! I area smoked right in front of the bunker and upon a closer look it did hit it. Hard to see from my view since the bunker was not seen or no LOS. So the WP round KOed the bunker about 3-4 secs after missing my Sherman. Tough break for you @DoubleD sorry man! I got lucky! o_O

Here's my only highlight againt Double D ... so far.

8bhGYon.png

TrWJ3tm.png

Paleolithic Monk

FGM MEMBER
Things are looking better for my advance at Salerno. That Tiger continues to mow my infantry down with impunity, but I did manage to drop a mortar round right on the turret! Hopefully I gave the crew a headache at least, lol.
Meanwhile, my M-10 crew is doing what Uncle Sam pays them for. Took out one of the PzKpfw IVs with a few well aimed shots. I'm not sure if that radio operator will be able to hear anything for a while though!
MTRvsM 7.JPG

Stafford

FGM MEMBER
A few shots of one particular individual who made his presence felt in the late stages of the battle.

vlcsnap-2021-04-16-12h34m20s103.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-16-12h34m37s269.png

This was actually the second shreck shot the Stuart took, the first it took from the front as it was approaching the wall, losing three crew members but still attempted to fight on until the second shot finished it.

vlcsnap-2021-04-16-12h32m48s416.png

Third time lucky and he hits it, impressive over that distance. Buttoned up Sherman never even saw it coming.

Combat Mission Fortress Italy Screenshot 2021.04.16 - 12.25.34.38.png

War is hell. Despite his Iron Cross-worthy handiwork, Concordes intrepid Panzershreck team does not survive the battle. I had a mortar team with a dozen or so rounds left over, and so without any other targets worth shooting at (or too close to friendlies), some revenge was wrought.