Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Fall of the 3rd Reich Tourney - Quick Battle Settings

I want to do some quick canvasing amongst the players for QB settings and any unit selection limits and "house rules".

Here's what I am suggesting:

Probe or ME battle (alternating each round)

Battle size: Small

Length: 30 minutes

Map provided by me

Map Preview allowed

Region: attacker choice

Year: 1944

Month: Attacker choice

Daylight: DAY is default (but if both players are masochists and agree, dawn/dusk/night battles can be fought too)

Weather: Random

Ground conditions: Random

Combat Force: MIX (is default but players can agree on other settings - as long as they are reasonably balanced)

Service: attacker and defender each can discuss and choose -- just make sure that if you set it to MIX, that the arm of service or country actually HSA tanks or armour)

Unit purchase: Human

SELECTION LIMITS:
NO cheap-ass, never-ending strafing Allied air support units (or we can leave out ALL air support -- too expensive with small battles anyway)

Arty? - size/calibre limits?

Big cats?

House rules on TRP's and pre-ranged arty?

I generally go with a "anything goes" philosophy -- it worked pretty well in my mini-campaign vs @Paleolithic Monk last year.

Open to any suggestions.

--------------------------------------

@Stafford @A Canadian Cat @Nort @MeatEtr @Paleolithic Monk @sspoom @holoween @DoubleD @Mad Mike @Concord

I see cheap air as being something of a counter to the big cats, however it doesn't really fit with small battle sizes.

For small battle size I'd say on-map support only? No TRPs for for either side for MEs, TRPs only for defender/prestaged arty only for attacker in Probes/Attacks.

Just my 2c.

Let's forgo air support. With such short battles, it would be difficult to utilize anyway. On the 30 min battle, is the intent for a quick fight and result? It does make sense for a tourney and should speed things up, especially if players can produce quick turns.
Maybe set a tank restriction by name/ size for a common understanding. Of course I'd hate to face a Tiger with Shermans and that could stop Allied players cold, especially when the shorter battle timer forces a more aggressive posture.
I like the mixed option, makes for interesting formations. The pre-battle chat between opponents also helps set agreements and expectations.
If some of this is going up on YouTube, I'll ensure my Pixeltruppen are shaved and their uniforms are pressed.

Id say limit trps to one set(5) and only during attack/defense with attacker being allowed preplanned arty on top

I guess playing with standard rarity on would take care of most "big cats" anyway, at least constrain them to maybe only one, two per battle.
Ah yes, left out the Rarity Setting.

That’s correct - big cats would leave Axis player very short in other departments like infantry.

Should we limit SMG infantry for Russians?

I want to do some quick canvasing amongst the players for QB settings and any unit selection limits and "house rules".

Here's what I am suggesting:

Probe or ME battle (alternating each round)

Battle size: Small

Length: 30 minutes

Map provided by me

Map Preview allowed

Region: attacker choice

Year: 1944

Month: Attacker choice

Daylight: DAY is default (but if both players are masochists and agree, dawn/dusk/night battles can be fought too)

Weather: Random

Ground conditions: Random

Combat Force: MIX (is default but players can agree on other settings - as long as they are reasonably balanced)

Service: attacker and defender each can discuss and choose -- just make sure that if you set it to MIX, that the arm of service or country actually HSA tanks or armour)

Unit purchase: Human
Thumbs up

I would like to default to as few as possible or no restrictions. Here are my opinions on the following

SELECTION LIMITS:
NO cheap-ass, never-ending strafing Allied air support units (or we can leave out ALL air support -- too expensive with small battles anyway)
I'm not bothered by the fly boys - they over hype their value. But I also don't really care and likely will not be using them anyway so if the general consensus is to band them them I'll not complain.

Arty? - size/calibre limits?
No, absolutely not. Go nuts.

Big cats?
As many as you can afford. No limits please.

House rules on TRP's and pre-ranged arty?

I generally go with a "anything goes" philosophy -- it worked pretty well in my mini-campaign vs @Paleolithic Monk last year.
I would rather see no restrictions on how many TRPs but in my opinion the arty rules should be:
Meeting engagements: no TRPs, no pre-planning artillery.
Probe: defender is allowed to purchase TRPs, attacker allowed to set pre-planned artillery missions.

Regarding rarity: yes please. Standard at least. If people are fussy about the big cats then make it strict to make the cost higher.

OK, I figured the same thing.

Let me know what you guys think of these suggestions.

Games should take no longer than 6 weeks.

It’s going to be a long tournament and I know Real Life will pop up now and then be it away for a long weekend or holidays, vacations, emergencies etc.
If you will not be able to make a move for more than 3 days please let your opponent know.
If you do not hear from your opponent for more than 3 days please let Rico and I know.

I’m thinking of a couple of ways to keep on track if for some reason you need to take a break.
Coordinating with your opponent how to catch up on turns.
If you do not think you can make up the turns in time you ask someone to step in for a turn or two while you are away or for that matter finish the round for you.

I can always step in for a turn or so or you could ask a friend to.

If for some reason a player disappears without a word for longer than three days someone else (a replacement?) can step in to finish or start the next round.
I could always step in to finish the round and wait a certain time period to see if the player returns to take back over.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Back