Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Field of Glory 2 - Rise and Fall Tournament 2019

Nice one, @olaf! Well done.

My oppo and I split our victories. We each won as Dacians which rather surprised me but then the terrain did not really favor Rome. :shootero:

The rightmost flank, hilly terrain does not favor Rome yes. I decided to rush that area before the dacians could use its full potential. I managed to also get all the hilly flanks. The superior warrior units of the dacians are a tough nut to crack, even for highly superior praetorian units. Their numbers make up for their skill.

Round 4 in the books! Both me and my opponent, Nosy_Rat suffered our first loss in this tournament. The Byzantines came out on top and key units were the raw infantry troops that were very cost effective.

I dearly regretted getting medium infantry units as the Avar against the Byzantines.

Im tempted to go full cavalry in the next one as the arabs. The cavalry battle MUST be won.

If you have any thoughts on this setup let me know please!

Nosy_Rat won the 2019 KO tournament and its a learning experience for me to play him.

badger73! I see you down there mate!

Last edited by a moderator:
@olaf - Yes, my oppo and I split our victories as well. We both won as Byzantines and selected all cavalry armies (except for the Avar required infantry) for both games. I was unpleasantly surprised and quite disappointed at how poorly the Avars fared in both battles.

Round 5 is 950 AD. Byzantine 904-962 AD vs Arab (Syria/Iraq) 890-1000 AD. I plan to spend some time thinking about force selection next week.

You might have a look at the bedouin light lancers. They are a force to be reckoned with if used correctly. I plan on having all of them.

ALERT - The Slitherine server is disconnecting when I try to play my turn today @ 2100 hrs GMT. I lose my army setup and first turn moves.
Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a place to contact Slitherine and report it?
'Tis most dis-accommodating and vexatious :eek:

Any thoughts on the map?

I like the maps for this tournament's horse armies much better than I liked the Horse Lords tournament maps.
However, I find it odd to reduce the battlefield area by one third with water features taking such large areas out of play. It prevents the side which might choose more maneuverable units from pressing both flanks in concert. Seems to me the map favors defensive thinking in a tournament where you score points by aggressive assaults. I chose all horse armies for both my matches. My opponent went with 30-50% infantry for each of his armies.
At least I can retreat faster . . . :shocknaz:

Yes I do think this map favors the defenders here. I might have to go full infantry with the arabs and use those enclosed squares to defend against the byzantine cav.

Back