Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Field of Glory II “Rise and Fall of Carthage” Tournament - starts 26 October 2020

I'm not on Slitherine forum but you can create the game an send me the password I will joint it directly
Excellent: Then I will take the Carthaginian side and you their opposition in each of these five battles. First off:

1. Krimisos Campaign 341 BC: Carthaginian 410-341 BC vs Syracusan 412-281 BC. Mediterranean Agricultural. 1600 FP.

Password: fewgoodmen

Let's have fun and good luck!

Good games, @Bartimeus. Thank you. Phyrrus appears to field the stronger army here. Welcome to FGM. :cheerso:

Thank you! It was a pleasure. If you want I can continue sparing section with you :)
Regarding of the army : Phyrrus heavy infanterii(support by a elephant) are very powerful on flat terrain. Meeting them head on will result in a fiasco for Carthage(who do not have a unity to go toe to toe with the phalanx).
Good luck all of you for this tournament.

Pretty cool to get a mention from FOG2 facebook group!

23rd FOG II TOURNAMENT "The Rise & Fall of Carthage"
♂️Taking part players: 261
Many of them are having their first Slitherine games' tournament experience (about 25%).
But there are also many VETERANS:
⛹️SCHMOLIWAR → Long-time player with several top 10 placements and also a 3rd place in the 2020' "Spring Tournament"
⛹️NYCZAR → Qualified 4th at the 2019 “Horse Lords Tourney” tournament.
⛹️ULYSISGRUNT → Experienced player with some good placings but it has not yet managed to shine. Will this be their chance?
⛹️NAJANAJA → A memorable 3rd place at the "Rise of Persia" Tournament in 2018… after which he disappeared.
⛹️MARKWATSON360 → Many excellent placings with two 4th places, one of which in the last tournament of this summer "The Hills have Eyes". Will it be the right time to prove what that is worth?
⛹️NIJIS → Fluctuating but always good results, among which we find a somewhat surprising 1st place in the 2019’ tournament "Horse Lords Tourney".
⛹️NIKIFOROSFOKAS → Several top 10 spread over the years. We all know they can do more!
#FOG #FieldOfGlory #Tournament #RiseAndFallOfCarthage #Veterans #BestPlayers

This is going to be a great tournament, I'm covering this on my YT channel.
<snipped>

Richard, I thoroughly enjoyed watching these and find them very helpful. My Round One performance was dreadful. It testifies to the folly produced by ignoring your approach . . . :eek:
I will give great weight in Round Two to "cavalry and lights, ignore the pikes".

Two questions:
  1. I noticed that you and Stormcrow both deploy as far forward as possible. When might it make sense to deploy farther back to give oneself more time and space for adjusting to an opponent's battle line?
  2. I also noticed that you tended to move your slinger and archer skirmishers adjacent to enemy javelin skirmishers to fire missiles instead of keeping them two squares away which is still close range and would produce the same amount of casualties. Isn't it better to keep archer/slinger skirmishers one empty square distant so that they can more readily evade enemy skirmish melee charges?
Great videos! Please keep it up! :cheerso:

Hey Badger!

1. I agree sometimes its worth deploying one or two spaces away to reform. I think this depends on the terrain and the units. But I never normally do it. but good point.
2.Yes you are right. I think i play to aggressive sometimes. It would reduce the casualties making the javelin move or turn before firing. I try and make the opponent make a bad move by trying to one outnumber or flank lights. I really enjoy trying to out skirmisher my opponent .

'cavalry and lights, ignore the pikes" Round 2 is going to a hard fight for sure. I'm going to do another set on deployment and the full video once it goes live which will be very soon!

I look forward to watching those. I find the terrain for Round 2 very challenging in terms of deciding where to fight the main battle lines. I'm curious to see what you decide and your decision rationale.

I have a Cavalry verses Cavalry question if you don't mind my asking.
  • When a non-light cavalry unit charges another non-light cavalry unit, what factors determine whether the cavalry unit being charged will stand or evade?
  • What are the factors which determine how to anticipate "fight or flight"?
By the way @RichardYorke, welcome to our little war-gaming fellowship! What brought you here to join The Few Good Men?

Last edited:
@Badger73

1. When a non-light cavalry unit charges another non-light cavalry unit, what factors determine whether the cavalry unit being charged will stand or evade? It's do with how well they fight / POA's please correct me if I'm wrong -Light troops (light foot and light horse), non-lancer cavalry/camelry and light chariots can attempt to evade charges. The AI decides for the (player or AI) unit whether it will evade, based on its chance of winning the combat and its chance of successfully getting away. The charging unit pursues with its remaining APs, so that it is more likely to catch the evaders if it starts its charge in an adjacent map square. Evaders and chargers may get a random addition or deduction of 4AP to/from their current AP. Evaders who are caught are treated as having been charged in the rear. If they do escape, evaders may go off the battlefield, in which case they do not count as lost and may possibly return to the battlefield later. Chargers never follow evaders off the battlefield. If the chargers’ pursuit path goes adjacent to another enemy unit (within 45 degrees of straight in front of the chargers), they will charge it if they (the AI on their behalf) fancy their chances and they have enough AP left to charge them. (From the Manuel)
A long time stalker of @Bootie channel and combat mission fan!. Also I have been here before a very very long time ago. I'll drop some field of glory games here see wants a match at some point :)

I can't undertake to play the tournament itself, but really like the matchups! So I'd be all for playing them, each one in turn, as friendlies with another person, whether mirrored or if that person prefers being Carthaginians or their opponents in each of the five battles, and whether medium (1200 FP) or large (1600 FP) battles (large battles are generally more fun in my view):

1. Krimisos Campaign 341 BC: Carthaginian 410-341 BC vs Syracusan 412-281 BC. Mediterranean Agricultural.
2. Pyrrhos’s Sicilian Campaign 277 BC: Carthaginian 280-263 BC vs Pyrrhic 280-275 BC. Mediterranean Agricultural.
3. First Punic War 255 BC: Carthaginian 262-236 BC vs Roman 280-220 BC. Mediterranean Agricultural.
4. Conquest of Spain 230 BC: Carthaginian 235-146 BC vs Spanish (Iberian) 300-10 BC. Mediterranean Hilly.
5. Second Punic War 202 BC: Carthaginian (Hannibal in Africa) 202 BC vs Roman 219-200 BC with Numidian 341-56 BC allies. Mediterranean Agricultural.
I'm your man for any battle in large(1600), choose your side :)

How is this working out for you fellows? What matches have you played?

Last edited:
How is this working out for you fellows? What matches have you played?

We've just finished the first battle with me losing as the Carthaginians and Bartimeus winning as the Syracusans (60-50 something). So now we're on to the second battle:

Pyrrhos’s Sicilian Campaign 277 BC. 1600 FP.

Me still as the Carthaginians, and Bartimeus as Pyrrhos, soon about to experience not a Pyrrhic victory but a Pyrrhic loss... ;)

The first round coincided with me being sick, so I didn't even finish (embarrassing I know). In fairness, he was handling me pretty easily. This round, I'm feeling very confident. The terrain with that stream in the middle is a problem, but for both of us.

Sorry to hear that you've been sick. Do you feel better now?

Back