Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[FILM] GENERATION WAR

Looks good.... have to say when I was in Frankfurt I was surprised to find war documentaries on a lot of the channels at night. In the UK we are sort of indoctrinated with the idea that the war is a taboo subject.

A funny story... me and my mates were wary about talking about 'the war' whilst away and we headed to a market on the Saturday... I was looking round antique stalls for some militaria and stumbled across a guy selling 2 Iron Crosses. They were quite expensive so I passed... but he asked where are you from... I told him Northern Ireland but live in Scotland and my other friends were English and Scottish.... 'Very Good' he says... 'You all beat us in the war!!'. :shocknaz:

Saw this last year when it was shown here as a three part mini-series. I thought it was really well done and good to see the war from a German perspective. Good overall series arc as well with part 1 - Barbarossa and buoyant optimism, Part 2 - Kursk and realisation of the inevitable, Part 3 - 1945 and just trying to survive.

Apparently it caused some uproar and seen as glorifying the war but I never thought that at any point while watching it.

@Ithikial:
Apparently it caused some uproar and seen as glorifying the war but I never thought that at any point while watching it.
Let me guess! That were mainly german critics?

Hm, PzFausts en gros on soviet side? OK, maybe they have raided a Wehrmacht supply transport. But then they are so unerring with every shot? By the way - In german the series was called "Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter" (Our Mothers, our Fathers). And the parts were called "Eine andere Zeit" (A different Time), "Ein anderer Krieg" (A different War) and "Ein anderes Land" (A different Country). The double sense of "andere" in the meaning of "different" on first glance but on second also as "a further" or "just another" made me curious. Sadly I was a bit disappointed again. Nevertheless better as many other series concerning this topic.

Greetings :)

I saw it some time ago and I think is totally worth to watch.
No wonderful special effects or lot of fighting scenes but the screenplay is quite good, imho.

@Ithikial: Let me guess! That were mainly german critics?

Probably. As an outsider, would be interesting to hear your views Sempai regarding how your country is looking at this period now. Given your film industry is moving into this space for my mind is evidence of that 'moving on' approach with regards to the war. Acceptance of what happened is a hell of a lot different to agreement, but in my experience I think that point is lost on most people.

Yeah the episode titles were called the same here but the overall title of Generation War was obviously different. :)

@Ithikial: We can discuss that on another place - maybe via mail or PM or similar. Bootie has crystal clear said that political discussions have the bad habit to run out of the rudder. And that here is at least a political touched topic. And I don´t want to start a needless hassle. My opinion tends to upset people with other opinions. And even if that mentioned people never will believe me that isn´t my intention. Furthermore FGM is a great website/club and I don´t want that Shane and all the other comrades get trouble because of that.

Only that much - the opinions are very splitted. The official political correct opinion is too brainwashed - even for many of the hardboiled left-wingers. The right-wingers are convinced that all is a lie. The citizens are somewhere in the middle of political correctness and the right-wingers. Then there is yet the difference between city dwellers and countrymen.
Concerning film industry and WWII movies: We did a huge step backwards after the movie Stalingrad from 1993. To this time I thought - maybe now we get slowly closer to what comes close as possible to the truth. But this movie was an exception. Even war veterans said that this movie was very near on the reality. Film industry is fallen in step with political correctness again since then. Sadly!

Greetings :)

Back