Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Fitness and Athletics Sports

@WinOrLose I've never heard of kettle bell cardio.

Did you injure your shoulder playing rugby? Is it taking a long time to heal?
Training for the triathlon - why exchange cardio training for more weights? What's the strategy behind it?

I overdid things (only started properly at the beginning of this year) about 3 weeks ago and hurt my knee. It has stopped me doing leg exercises (other than walking).
Someone told me the other day that knees can take a long time to heal - sometimes up to 2 years! :rolleyes:

P.S. @WinOrLose it'd be great to see a photo of your home gym set up!

About diet. I've been thinking more about this. I haven't taken the step of measuring everything yet.
I do much of the cooking for my family, and I have largely removed carbs (like bread, pasta, rice, noodles etc).
Replaced them with more vegetables. All kinds, including hearty ones like cauliflower, broccoli, beetroot, green cabbage and even some avocado. Lots of fresh salad with most meals.
I am slowly but surely reducing the serving sizes too.

I like a drink now and then, but unlike my earlier years, I don't have much at all these days. Just not a big part of my life. And so full of carbs and sugar.
If I go out for dinner I'll share a couple bottles of wine. Maybe a couple of beers or a whiskey. But most days, nothing.

Until I take serious steps like recording and weighing food intake (no plans to as yet), awareness and moderation is my guide.

I quite like kettle bell work outs - you only need one piece of kit an a small space. There are tons of examples on you tube - I quite like this guy.

Managed to snap my collarbone in half back in September - now held together with a plate and 6 screws.

Collarbone.jpg

Regarding swapping out the cardio for weights - this would be after the triathlon.

Regarding knees - I would recommend seeing a physio. A lot of knee issues are linked to tight quads and ITB. Lots of stretching and a foam roller helps.

Photo of home gym below.

gym.jpg

Good luck with the training.

Regards Simon

@WinOrLose : Hello, comrade! What exactly You do now for a training/therapy concerning that collarbone problem? And what said the doc and the physio?

@Concord : Do You already saw the doc? And did he say what´s the problem? I would be cautios and doing nothing before I´m sure what´s wrong. By what You hurt Your knee, by the way?

Greetings

@WinOrLose : Hello, comrade! What exactly You do now for a training/therapy concerning that collarbone problem? And what said the doc and the physio?

@Concord : Do You already saw the doc? And did he say what´s the problem? I would be cautios and doing nothing before I´m sure what´s wrong. By what You hurt Your knee, by the way?

Greetings

Training and therapy is a half marathon and a triathlon.....

But seriously, I took it easy for a month then slowly built up reps and weight being careful not to do anything too explosive.

I appear to have full mobility and strength is back to pre-injury.

@Sempai no I haven't gone to see anyone (doctor or physio).
I think I overdid it on the leg press machine and/or the leg extension machine.
I didn't feel any problem at the time, but soon after my knee was sore and swollen.

@SempaiI think I overdid it on the leg press machine and/or the leg extension machine.

I recommend not using the leg extension machine. IMO it is bad for your knees and doesn't really help with functional strength. Squats are where it's at for leg exercises, with leg presses as an alternative. IMO.

@WinOrLose : So You got no rehabilitation therapy/training schedule after that from Your doc(s)/physio?

@Concord : You sure there is nothing left of the problem since then? What´s up with the soreness and the swelling? And can You say if it is/was muscle soreness or other soreness? Do You feel healthy again by now?

@Meat Grinder : Today I´m too tired to respond to the "...leg extension ...bad for Your knees...". Will do that later.

Greetings

@Sempai My right knee is still giving me trouble, but it is gradually getting better. The swelling has gone too.
The pain was/is internal. Shortly after hurting it, the pain was even above and below the knee for a short while.
From the little research I did, I suspect I may have damaged the ligaments or tendons.

I've had some problems with my right knee several years ago, so it may be a bit of a weak spot.
From memory, I knocked and twisted it, and it took a very long time to heal (like over a year).

As Clint Eastwood's character said "a man's gotta know his limitations".
Being middle aged and getting into regular strength training, I might have pushed the leg exercises a bit hard.
I have been avoiding leg based weight training, but I'm still walking on the treadmill and doing long marches with my dogs.

@WinOrLose : So You got no rehabilitation therapy/training schedule after that from Your doc(s)/physio?

@Concord : You sure there is nothing left of the problem since then? What´s up with the soreness and the swelling? And can You say if it is/was muscle soreness or other soreness? Do You feel healthy again by now?

@Meat Grinder : Today I´m too tired to respond to the "...leg extension ...bad for Your knees...". Will do that later.

Greetings

Not much but you could say I'm kinda impatient so would have ignored it anyway...

I drove to the hospital with the bone sticking out (via the super market for snacks) and drove home from the hospital.

@Meat Grinder : Leg extension maschine is a real good thing for the rehabilitation training - and for many knee problems. For regular fitness-/weight- training it is the isolation exercise for the front quadriceps. The only problem most of the time is how wide You should move the lower leg so the exercise keeps healthy. If You´re unrestricted healthy You can do the extension to the limit/max. Because the weight is working "in line" with the gravitation it´s almost impossible to get over the maximum extension into a negative extension. Next problem could be the training weight itself. Most people aren´t able to force the muscles over the limit - what means the weight is limited by the kind of execution of that exercise. A few people can hurt themsels badly with that exercise since they do more and more weight on the machine even if they aren´t able to extend to the limit anymore. The weight is too much but their false pride forces them to work over what would be good and healthy. The last important thing is to work that exercise "slow". So long You can slow down the movement so it comes to the peak with controlled muscular speed - so long it is OK. If You snap Your lower legs to the peak all the time - so no muscle control is given - You crush Your passive structures until they broke with the time at latest. I hope I could express what I mean.

@Concord : OK, I think similar. But in every case I had seen the doctor - and if it would be only to eliminate the possibillity of a serious injury. From Your explanation I´m relatively sure You had a superficial fissure (most probably a meniscus lesion) back in time then. The newer problem is maybe based on the old one (depends on what You did for Your knee during the one-year-healing-time). If the rehabilitation of the meniscus wasn´t handled right You will have to bear with limitations the rest of Your life. A well made training for Your disease pattern (always in assumption it is a meniscus lesion) could have been a very light training weight (for example 5 kg or even lesser weight) and between 40 and 50 repetition for each set. Starting with a single set training for the harmed area (the knee area). After 4 or 6 weeks I would change to a 2 sets training. After further 4 or 6 weeks change to a 3 sets training. After the first half of the 2 sets training You could even raise the weight a bit - to7, 8 or 9 kg for example. After the 3 months You could decrease the repetitions and raise the weight further. Exercises could be leg extension from 70° or 80°, leg flexion until 70° or 80°, leg press until 70° or 80°, half squats, half lunges, step-ups with a maximum of about 70° or 80° extension in the knee, proprioception training and so on. Important is that this all are only guidelines. If You have a ROM (Range of Motion) what already hurts before You reach the 70° or 80° You should hear to Your body. Then ROM should be what is definitely free of pain. Further I had dropped all treadmill exercises because of unnatural motion sequence. Longer marches only if broken by enough rests for Your knee. You may not even notice first if Your knee needs rest or not. But the longer You mistreat the knee/problem the ealier and more final You get the bill for it. If Your meniscus should be broken instead You should definitely see the doctor. A already stressed (misbehavior or even an older injury) meniscus is much more prone to a crack then.

@WinOrLose : Ah, then all the best further!

Greetings

Well, 3 months of slacking off indoors and eating too much of the wrong foods has left me like a bear going into hibernation. Or a rogue elephant. :giggle:
Time to get back on the horse.

With that in mind, I have been watching a couple of vids about diet and exercise...while eating pizza and donuts. ;)

Diet - considering kick starting things with a day or two of fasting. And no more junk in the shopping either!

Exersize - Must. Get off. Of my. Enormous ass. Break the inertia.

Well, 3 months of slacking off indoors and eating too much of the wrong foods has left me like a bear going into hibernation. Or a rogue elephant. :giggle:
Time to get back on the horse.

With that in mind, I have been watching a couple of vids about diet and exercise...while eating pizza and donuts. ;)

Diet - considering kick starting things with a day or two of fasting. And no more junk in the shopping either!

Exersize - Must. Get off. Of my. Enormous ass. Break the inertia.

Download MyFitnessPal - its free and it tracks all you food and exercise (linked to a smart watch).

You can scan anything with a barcode, or input your own meals. Takes about 5 mins a day.

Training helps but its almost impossible to out train a poor diet.

The other trick is sleep - aim for 7hrs plus per night.

Back