Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Flat terrain and open space

D

Dukal

Recently, I've played a mission in CMFI on a big map with no much cover. It was a big open space. I'm use to play missions on maps with a lot of forests or mountains or in the modern titles with a lot of buildings so I was disoriented when place on a flat terrain map. Can anyone have some advises on how to tackle this kind of terrain ? how to maneuver your units and use your artillery in this kind of situation ? What is the best rang for your tanks (at 2000 + meters AP ammo wasn't as effective) ?

Thank you for your answers :)

If you can use smoke to conceal your units, you could try that.

Check the map for depressions in the ground, it’s probably not completely flat and you may be able to find some dead ground to move around in. Over watch and smoke are also your friends.

MMM

If the ground is flat then it comes down to who spots first and fires. Experience would count for a lot. Inexperienced units my retreat or do something stupid.

Anyone fancy CMFI Desret - Sidi Bou Zid , large, attack?

... put platoons into a 'V' formation...
It could maybe be nice to have options to put the squads in different positions, like the V-one, and have them following those when we mark the whole squad and move them foward.

It could maybe be nice to have options to put the squads in different positions, like the V-one, and have them following those when we mark the whole squad and move them foward.
One can kinda do that above the section level. Position your sections in the formation you want relative to the Platoon CO. Then double click on any unit in the Platoon so you have the whole platoon highlighted. Then issue your movement order and the whole Platoon will advance with a similar formation. You can micro adjust the end spot or route if you wish. It's not perfect but it generally works and is scalable. It's slightly better if you choose the outermost section, left or right, to issue your order because it helps with judging position

One can kinda do that above the section level. Position your sections in the formation you want relative to the Platoon CO. Then double click on any unit in the Platoon so you have the whole platoon highlighted. Then issue your movement order and the whole Platoon will advance with a similar formation. You can micro adjust the end spot or route if you wish. It's not perfect but it generally works and is scalable. It's slightly better if you choose the outermost section, left or right, to issue your order because it helps with judging position
I do this a lot, just select the whole platoon and then micro the paths and pauses if needed. Also helps with keeping platoons together when they're all jumbled up (during setup or after a messy battle). I do still have trouble keeping good track of companies though, I do tend to accidentally mix platoons between different companies if I am working with larger forces. So for instance 1st platoon of 2nd company and 1st platoon of 1st company end up on my right flank, while 2nd Pt / 1st Co and 2nd Pt/ 2nd Co are on my left flank, would be more logical to have one company on each flank.

I do this a lot, just select the whole platoon and then micro the paths and pauses if needed. Also helps with keeping platoons together when they're all jumbled up (during setup or after a messy battle). I do still have trouble keeping good track of companies though, I do tend to accidentally mix platoons between different companies if I am working with larger forces. So for instance 1st platoon of 2nd company and 1st platoon of 1st company end up on my right flank, while 2nd Pt / 1st Co and 2nd Pt/ 2nd Co are on my left flank, would be more logical to have one company on each flank.
I have the same problem and it is worst when I split my squads. Sometimes I have a lot of problem to regroup them together because there are to far apart or mix up with other sections of other Squads from an another Pt.

Thanks for your advises, I've played a mission in CMBS on a open terrain and use your advise for the "V" shape and overwatch and succeed pretty good with low casualty. I've used smoke and my scout teams to spot the enemies and my tanks for support.

Back