Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

FOG2...Epic Battles... round two,... All welcome, ...Sign up.

Thanks to my roman opponent TomBombadil. It was all about the flank in this one.FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-04-29 17-22-18-06.jpg

And thanks to my dacian opponent Badger73. I managed to chop down the centre before my flanks became too exposed. Skål Badger!

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed @olaf, well played. Welcome to the FOGII FGM group. Let everyone beware. :shootero:
@Nelson1812 - Here are the final results. Group 1: @olaf is Rome / @Badger73 is Dacia

VN8J1TO.png

<snipped>
First, just saw this post on Slitherine about a bunch of new community content that was recently added. Perhaps some new fodder for future battles. http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=80329

Also, I am curious as to if any of you guys have tried out the Table Top Mod? I have not myself but am intrigued by it and will likely download soon. If i understand it correctly, it modifies a bunch of the existing armies and adds additional ones. I was just thinking it could be something for all of us to look at as it might add a lot of fun new options to our battles. Of course, it only works...i think....if both player have the mod installed. Anyway, was wondering if any of you all had dived into it at all.
<snipped>

@Jolly Olly - I have not downloaded any community content nor the Table Top mod. I am very curious what others might think of them. Please keep us posted as you delve into these.

I just gotta say....What a boatload of fun this is! I have got two hella-good battles going. Both are absolute edge-of-your-seat nail biters that could go either way.

In my game against @Nelson1812 we are both in the 40% routed range and fighting for our lives (Me-Dacian, Archie-Roman). His right flank has pretty much ceased to exist as has my main line of Dacian warriors. It is a very close run fight among what is remaining of his left and my right wings. My brave Lancers are trying to rush to to aid what units I still have in the fight and it looks like Archie is mustering all his (largely intact) Roman Heavy foot in the middle.

@Wellsonian is definitely getting the better of me in the other matchup (Me-Romans, Wellsonian-Dacians). If I can't route some of his units soon I am really going to be in trouble. On the plus side, my main line of of Heavy Foot is putting up a solid attack and has steadily been pushing the Dacian main line back.

This is great stuff guys...great stuff!

:D:D:D

Dacians rejoice! News has arrived from Moesia of Decebulus's great victory over Trajan’s emperial forces. Our recent loss at Tapae has been avenged!!! The Dacian people will not be the unwilling subjects of Rome.

Or so might the headlines read in an alternative history…

Well...my Dacian forces have managed to win the day over @Nelson1812 's Romans! (60% vs 46%).

What a crazy, good, fun fight this was! Archie completely decimated my main line of Dacians! This game, I think, ended up being won on the flanks. The Lancers proved quite formidable and got quite lucky with disrupting the Roman right pretty early on. I think the Roman left suffered from lack of Calvary support. My archers, javelin men, and Falxmen we're able take and hold the high ground there and eventually turn Archie's left flank.

This one was anyone's game right up to the end! Thanks for a great game Archie! Good luck with your mirror battle.

Jolly (Dacian) vs Archie (Roman).jpg

Peace has been secured in the province of Moesia! Roman forces have won a great victory over the troublesome Dacian forces that have been threatening our borderlands and peace!

Jolly's Romans have replicated the historical victory over @Wellsonian 's Dacians (58% vs 32%). This was another extremely fun, tough fight! The Dacian's fighters just seem to be no match for the Roman Legionnaires. Just as @Nelson1812 was able to obliterate my main battle line in the mirrored game, my Roman heavy foot steadily pushed back and broke Wellsonian's main line. Once again the Lancers showed themselves superior to the Roman cavalry in this one. Wellsonian was able to overwhelm them on my right flank. Fortunately my archers and Roman Auxilia were able to hold and refuse the flank long enough for my heavy foot in the center to secure the victory. My auxilia, archers, and small calvary contingent on my left also distinguished themselves in battle and manage to hold that flank as well despite some tough fighting against Falx and Dacain units.

Thank you for a great game @Wellsonian ! I look forward to doing battle again. Good luck in your mirrored game!

Jolly-Roman vs Wellsonian-Dacian.jpg

Argh! I was hoping for one more turn to get the Lancers through the blocking force....I had infantry ready to charge them from the rear too. Damn, them's the breaks! Good work put in by Jolly! Well played.
Yeah, I was really worried my right was going to fold much earlier in the game which would really have been problematic for me! Thank goodness it held long enough because you are right in that you probably only needed another turn or two to before my Auxilia would have been on the ropes. You would have still had a pretty tough row to hoe with the main battle line collapsed though it would have been interesting to see how the legionnaire would have held up once they reformed their line to face the Lancers and the Falx. It looked like I was finally about to break your left though you just never know how this game is going to turn.

Really fun fight and well fought at that! Like I said in another post...both this and the mirror had me on the edge of my seat every replay. I trust I am not the only one who finds themselves yelling at the screen on the replays...."Hold you little mother-f'ers! Don't break! Don't break!" LOL!!!

My Romans prevailed over Wellsonians' Dacians...barely. This last turn could have gone either way as his hvy cavalry was about to break my flank. Hell, my entire line was on the thinnest of edges. Final % don't reflect how close this really was. Glad this is over. LOL @Wellsonia hope I don't see you again any time soon.

flzx64L.png

My Romans prevailed over Wellsonians' Dacians...barely. This last turn could have gone either way as his hvy cavalry was about to break my flank. Hell, my entire line was on the thinnest of edges. Final % don't reflect how close this really was. Glad this is over. LOL @Wellsonia hope I don't see you again any time soon.

flzx64L.png

Well played! Excellent use of your Cav. This game has been really confusing me lately...I seem to do better when I DON'T calculate the odds. It is certainly more enjoyable, because you don't really know when you get screwed by the die roll. The actual percentage was 60 - 57, with me not getting another turn, so I don't know where the 24 came about. I've got to figure out how your Dacian warbands held easily in that last bit of battle against my Roman Legionnaires, while my Dacians immediately broke on contact in my other game. Terrain didn't have anything to do with it either. Maybe my guys were out of command or something similar. That last part was frustrating, but still fun as hell!

Back