Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

French Infantry in CMFI

Raging Al

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Can anyone give advice on how I get the best out of the French Infantry in CMFI, please? I’m playing a scenario where I have a French engineer company in which each squad is armed entirely with old M1917 Enfields and no automatic weapons. Each platoon has a single FM24/29 which appears similar to a BAR, and the platoon HQ has a couple of M1 carbines, but that’s it! And I’m in the middle of a village fight against German squads armed liberally with MP40’s, Beretta SMG’s and MG34’s. Am I doomed? :eek::LOL:

I think @Buckykatt played that scenario as the French. Maybe he can chime in. As I remember, he called for a cease fire. Perhaps you should use that as part of your battle plan. :runner:

Ohhhh, yeah, that one....I can’t really say too much regarding the infantry as @JTimo got to the town before me and I was behind the 8-ball from the get-go. I got my ass handed to me in that one but it certainly wasn’t the fault of the French troops. If I had gotten to the town ahead of @JTimo and was able to use them against his Germans in the town proper, I would be able to comment, but my boys never got to the town to have a real building to building fight. But now that said, I’d say that yeah, you’re doomed.

Haha thanks fellas. That is the scenario and sums it up perfectly. I’ll just keep throwing them into the meat grinder :2charge:. Cheers

Sounds like it's character building though. Do they get grenades at least?
I'd quite like to play the French for the novelty,. I'll look it up and see if anyone wants to give it a go.:singer:

That might be fun. You could always set up a quick battle... I'm game for a kicking. Like I said, it's character building.

Ah. That's interesting. Oh well. I suppose we'll never know then. I figure the French colonial troops fought the Germans then. Does anyone know how well they did? I have heard that the Maghreb soldiers were pretty fierce fighters. I know Franco's Moroccan soldiers were feared during the Spanish Civil War.
Actually, there's a film about a group of French army soldiers from Algeria and I remember it being quite good. I'll see if I can find the title.

If I remember that film correctly it finished with five colonial soldiers holding up a whole company of Germans in an Alsatian village - now if only I can get my regular French pixeltrups to channel their own “days of glory”...........:rolleyes:

Unfortunately they're not both available in the same month/year afaik.
Go into the editor. (Not QB). Purchase an Italian force in Sicily as per July 1943. Go back and change the date and region to sometime where there is French Forces (April/May 1944 is a good spot) and pick the French force. Pretty sure both forces will stick for a "what if".

Note that CM makes no difference between different nationalities or type of units, a veteran unit is always a veteran unit, same with leadership etc. So the factors that make a difference really is equipment and organization of squads/platoons etc. BFC, though, make sure that TOE is adjusted for the period of the war so that it is more likely that the settings for above mirror appropriate fighting capability.

I'm not sure if the French are meant to represent the Vichy French, or Free French, or both depending on the date/time you select them.

@Ithikial I guess that would be doable, both sides could be restricted to Infantry only.

Ah. That's interesting. Oh well. I suppose we'll never know then. I figure the French colonial troops fought the Germans then. Does anyone know how well they did? I have heard that the Maghreb soldiers were pretty fierce fighters. I know Franco's Moroccan soldiers were feared during the Spanish Civil War.
Actually, there's a film about a group of French army soldiers from Algeria and I remember it being quite good. I'll see if I can find the title.

"Two Women" includes French colonial troops in Italy. Sophia Loren won an Oscar for it.

Amazing film! What an actress. She deserved that Oscar without a doubt. That is a real war film.

Back